1080p HDR image better than 4k non HDR ?

http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-features/hdr/best

Samsung KS8000 is a good mid-range HDR set. The Sony X800D is a good budget HDR set.
KS8000 has (edge) dimming whereas the Sony does not, but the Sony is cheaper and comes in smaller sizes.
Both sets have VA panels so good native black levels/contrast.

The Vizio has great PQ but with HDR on the input lag is on the higher side.

Personally I'm gonna hold out as long as I can before I jump into 4K/HDR. Content is limited for now. And I'm still happy with my 60" Panasonic 1080p plasma. Even though it's only 1080p, to get similar or better PQ I'd have to spend an arm and a leg. I'd also have to buy a new receiver, not to mention a PS4 Pro. Gaming is becoming very expensive. :(
I am in the same situation. I got a TV each generation of consoles, accordingly, a HD Ready TV for the X360, a Fulll HD TV when I switched generations in 2013, a couple of months ago the new consoles came out, and now I am thinking about getting a new TV next year, 4K HDR, 1000 nits or candelas and affordable.

But this 1080p set turned out to be soooo good that I want a 4k panel but I am not in a hurry. A projector is out of the equation 'cos afaik it doesn't produce HDR.

http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-features/hdr/best

Samsung KS8000 is a good mid-range HDR set. The Sony X800D is a good budget HDR set.
KS8000 has (edge) dimming whereas the Sony does not, but the Sony is cheaper and comes in smaller sizes.
Both sets have VA panels so good native black levels/contrast.

The Vizio has great PQ but with HDR on the input lag is on the higher side.

Personally I'm gonna hold out as long as I can before I jump into 4K/HDR. Content is limited for now. And I'm still happy with my 60" Panasonic 1080p plasma. Even though it's only 1080p, to get similar or better PQ I'd have to spend an arm and a leg. I'd also have to buy a new receiver, not to mention a PS4 Pro. Gaming is becoming very expensive. :(
I have the 43" Sony X800D as an upgrade to my 32" XBR6. It's great.
Here's an informative review, and a link to the official avs forum thread for it, for those interested.
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x800d
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...ony-2016-xbr-43x800d-x800d-owners-thread.html
Input Lag
questions-icon-blue.png

: 33.3 ms
With Interpolation
questions-icon-blue.png

: 49.1 ms
Outside Game Mode
questions-icon-blue.png

: 49.0 ms

The input lag of the Sony X800D is quite low, which is good. To get the lowest input lag, select the 'Game' or 'Graphics' picture modes. This results in a lag of 33.3ms with an 1080p resolution, which should not be an issue for most people. When sending an HDR signal at 1080p, the input lag remains the same as under 'Game' or 'Graphic' mode.
Fwiw, while in a room with the shades drawn I can keep the brightness at its lowest setting, so it's rating of being just 375cd/m² shouldn't scare off those looking to use it for PC gaming. http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/peak-brightness

I posted a review at Best Buy after having it a while.
Top of the line image handling
August 19, 2016
   
Babel17
   
Right out of the box the picture is great, though I had to google a few things to make it better for use on the PC. The manual is OK, but it's not as in depth as it could be, like the one that came with my older XBR6.
For PC use I needed to go to use the HOME menu button on the remote and from there scroll down to "Settings". Then go to "External Inputs", "HDMI signal format", and then choose "Enhanced". Only then from within nVidia Control Panel could I select 3840 x 2160 and YcbCr444 as the Output color format. Without "Enhanced" being set we're limited to YcbCr422. We also need to use HDMI connector 2 or 3 on the back on the TV for the best PC picture.
I'm using a very inexpensive high speed HDMI 2.0 cable and it works great. Probably any HDMI cable is all one needs. But fwiw I had originally tried an old, very cheap, regular speed HDMI 1.4 cable that worked fine with the 4:2:2 color space but it couldn't handle YcbCr444 at 3840 x 2160. This might be connected to why "Enhanced" is not the default setting.
I have a great Sony Blu ray player but if I use it on either HDMI connector 2 or 3 when they are set to "Enhanced" mode I get no audio. It works amazingly well on the other connectors. Again, this could be why "Enhanced" is not the default setting. Though maybe it's needed for UHD Blu ray players?
If you want to use Game mode for its lowest latencies there is still a trick you can use to improve perceived frame rate without increasing lag. Under "Motion" in the Picture settings of the Action Menu you'll see that you can adjust "Clearness". Apparently that engages backlight flashing that can help a lot. It will dim the picture brightness a bit, but I just raise brightness in the Action Menu and it's as good as ever.
If you choose not to use game mode then latency isn't increased that much even with other processing effects engaged. It would still be under 50 milliseconds according to the site that reviewed this set.
There are two great reviews of this set online. The latest one gives the measurements of latencies. There is also a dedicated thread to this set at the avsforum. A reviewer of this set has posted there, and a couple of the people have contacted Sony with questions. I mention that to give you an idea that the thread is a great resource. I guess we're not supposed to post links? For the reviews just google the sets name along with "review". The latest one is from rtings.com. If you look closely within the review you'll see a link to the calibration settings that were used. For the avs forum thread just google "Sony 2016 XBR-43X800D / X800D Owners Thread".
The android interface/remote control occasionally become unresponsive, briefly, when I'm ripping around through it. I'm guessing a future update will take care of that. There has been one already, it came out around a week ago.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-43...h-dynamic-range-black/4801700.p?skuId=4801700

Now DF is also echoing on the same matter, makes me think this HDR thing is almost like a PS4-PS5 leap.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=216877480&postcount=102
The XO version of Gears 4 running in HDR on an OLED TV looked better in person than the PC version running on a large 4K LCD without HDR.
Although I'd wager HDR effect is much better on a 1000nits+ LED tv than a 600nits OLED as been confirmed by the professional HDTV testers.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc...ed-in-public-tv-shoot-out-shock/#6b73bdce6fde

Now DF is also echoing on the same matter, makes me think this HDR thing is almost like a PS4-PS5 leap.

...it isn't really, but according to Samsung only 20% of the population watches TV in a dark room, and depending how bright the room is , the difference between 500-1000-4000 nits is nothing significant. Sony's latest local dimming TV is also some 60% heavier than OLED, and I don't think you will see that "trickling down" into 30" size, and as you said OLED is 5-600 nits (and that already takes a toll on motion handling, there's a good chance it's either HFR or 500nits ).

Even my 8 years old Panasonic TV has a small light sensor
Presumably, it's a question stemming from how they can generalize the population when not 100% of consumers (let alone samsung TV owners) have hooked up the TV to the intarweb.

nofunallowed.jpg

Presumably, it's a question stemming from how they can generalize the population when not 100% of consumers (let alone samsung TV owners) have hooked up the TV to the intarweb.

nofunallowed.jpg

Yeah, it was for sure a generalization on Samsung part.

Anyway, I´ve got the Big Brother shot, my appliance is spying on us, lol

...it isn't really, but according to Samsung only 20% of the population watches TV in a dark room, and depending how bright the room is , the difference between 500-1000-4000 nits is nothing significant. Sony's latest local dimming TV is also some 60% heavier than OLED, and I don't think you will see that "trickling down" into 30" size, and as you said OLED is 5-600 nits (and that already takes a toll on motion handling, there's a good chance it's either HFR or 500nits ).
In a dark room the difference is huge. Left Samsung 1400nits, center Sony Z9D 1800nits, right LG Oled 600nits
attachment.php

In a bright room the difference is also significant.
X930d is 1000nits, X940d is 700nits compared to 1800nits Z9D
b3sbjs.jpg

29zq68p.jpg

2wqwmeo.jpg

And regularly beams the light level and viewing hours back to Samsung?

Nope, my Panny it´s not one of those chinese brandless electronics with a chip inside calling home, so they say :)

It was probably a generalization by Samsung, they get the usage pattern from their customers in those smart connected Tvs, well you know that.

In a dark room the difference is huge. Left Samsung 1400nits, center Sony Z9D 1800nits, right LG Oled 600nits

In a bright room the difference is also significant.
X930d is 1000nits, X940d is 700nits compared to 1800nits Z9D

ohh gee, why nits for luminance ... use SI units. It's cd/m2.

ohh gee, why nits for luminance ... use SI units. It's cd/m2.

You know, as a layman, I find nit much easier to type than cd/m2 ... it looks better too. As the conversion is 1-1, if cd/m2 is becoming a thing in conversations about HDR TVs, I'm totally for bringing back nit.

I am in the same situation. I got a TV each generation of consoles, accordingly, a HD Ready TV for the X360, a Fulll HD TV when I switched generations in 2013, a couple of months ago the new consoles came out, and now I am thinking about getting a new TV next year, 4K HDR, 1000 nits or candelas and affordable.

But this 1080p set turned out to be soooo good that I want a 4k panel but I am not in a hurry. A projector is out of the equation 'cos afaik it doesn't produce HDR.

I went to Walmart the other day and compared 1080P displays vs. 4K displays. The 4K displays did look clearer and better, but not by a huge amount. I had to get very close (perhaps a foot away) to see the pixels in the 4K monitor. However, I also had to get pretty close to see them in the 1080P monitor/TV. At the normal distance I would be gaming if I were to get a console and monitor, I wouldn't notice a big difference.

If I were to go out and buy a display, I'd stick with 1080P unless I was wealthy and had money to burn.

Back