AMD Console Wins for 2017?

if the apu is the same size as a slim apu then I don't see what the price difference would be
Why would it be the same size?

Smaller silicon means higher yield, lower power, smaller fan/heatsink, smaller power supply, and PS4 have a lower cost from it's 5.5gbps memory binning. I would even speculate a lower cost for the south bridge and whatever they add on neo.

Why would it be the same size?

Smaller silicon means higher yield, lower power, smaller fan/heatsink, smaller power supply, and PS4 have a lower cost from it's 5.5gbps memory binning. I would even speculate a lower cost for the south bridge and whatever they add on neo.

the rumors point to the apu being the same a size as a die shrunk ps4 apu. Polaris was designed to use less power than previous iterations of gcn .

How should a 14nm shrink of a PS4 APU have the same size as the 14nm version of the PS4e APU? Makes no sense to me.

The power argument might be true and they just might be limited in the PS4 technology license/deal they made with AMD in the first place so they can only really take what AMD has to offer next.

So let me get this straight. Some rumors, which you can't be bothered to link to, claim to know not only the die size of Neo, but also compared it to a non-existent die shrink of PS4.... and made the extraordinary claim they are the same size.

So Neo would be a 4.2TF APU with a similar or smaller die size than XB1S which is 1.4TF, and similar to a die shrink PS4 at 1.84TF. All three APUs costing the same on 14nm.

Last edited:
So let me get this straight. Some rumors, which you can't be bothered to link to, claim to know not only the die size of Neo, but also compared it to a non-existent die shrink of PS4.... and made the extraordinary claim they are the same size.

So Neo would be a 4.2TF APU with a similar or smaller die size than XB1S which is 1.4TF, and similar to a die shrink PS4 at 1.84TF. All three APUs costing the same on 14nm.

I saw those specs on Trump's Twitter feed... :cool:

How do you do a PS4 slim without the die shrink? Isn't the whole point of NEO that it was cheaper to increase specs than try and shrink existing hardware?

If XBOs it's one of the trinity of AMDs design wins, there won't be a ps4 slim, at least as a result of a shrunk orbis.

XBOs got just a 33℅ die reduction being almost half* of the die just sram. I believe after the 20nm debacle, amd presented different options to both companies, ms went ahead with the slim and sony opted for a souped up orbis.

Well, Sony has room to maneuvre, they could sell a digital only Ps4 and allowing game installation on portable hard drives (like Ms) they could ditch alltoguether the internal HDD and optical drive

In september they present Orbis at 16/14nm and I'll be pawned XD

Someone brought up the idea that PS4 slim maybe a salvaged Neo part with half the CUs disabled. I could really see that as I'm sure there will be plenty of parts available.

I guess you could reuse some socs (if graphic ip it's not broken between orbis and neo) but wouldn't be a long term solution, and would make a low volume product, when slim consoles are just the opposite

I guess you could reuse some socs (if graphic ip it's not broken between orbis and neo) but wouldn't be a long term solution, and would make a low volume product, when slim consoles are just the opposite

Given AMD has sea island and jaguar in finFet for Xbox one S are we sure they have Polaris and not just gone for a cu loaded orbis to ensure compatibility? I guess the sea island tech would fit the same cu count and match die area and flops just as the rx480 which seems the current neo analogue.

One of the leaked slides mentions enhanced GCN, implying it's something different.

One S has HDR and such?

If it was Polaris would they not just say or was it still under some sort of NDA from AMD,

At least it keeps speculation interesting

Right, we're talking 10s of millions of units here still. That's way above any realistic salvage plans.

Right, we're talking 10s of millions of units here still. That's way above any realistic salvage plans.
Could produce both slim and neo soc's, with slim being cut down chip & disabled cu's of any failed neo's.
Don't make slim just the failed neo chips.

I don't see much reason in making ps4 smaller, but I would see the point in additional functionality like xo's (4k playback)

One of the leaked slides mentions enhanced GCN, implying it's something different.
On the other hand, GCN 1.1 is enhanced GCN 1.0.
There are mentions of new instructions, but at the same time it's not clear how to reconcile the backwards compatibility mode with what we know about Polaris and its tight compatibility with Volcanic Islands.
It might not fit in either bucket.

One S has HDR and such?

If it was Polaris would they not just say or was it still under some sort of NDA from AMD,

At least it keeps speculation interesting

DIsplay output is a different semi-custom block than the GCN cores. They can be updated independently of each other.

Regards,
SB

Latest investor conference:

http://ir.amd.com/mobile.view?c=74093&v=200&d=2&id=5236009

At ~28m:

Mark Papermaster said:
Very few companies have the ability to integrate the kind of CPU and graphics capabilities, the IP that we have at AMD. And so it was natural for us, 5 years ago, to launch a type of semi-custom effort, where we could leverage the IP that we developed and customize how it was put together. So you can see the success in diversification that we've achieved in games consoles. In fact, of our three.. erm.. of our newest wins, two have just been announced recently, by our game console partners, Microsoft and Sony. With those specifications, you can see how the Playstation 4 Pro and Microsoft Scorpio are leveraging the IP of our next generation of graphics. So that's the strategy we're going for.

1 - Xbone S SoC is not one of the 3 design wins, despite the inclusion of a new video codec block.
2 - PS4 Slim SoC is not one of the 3 design wins.
3 - One design win yet to be announced
4 - It sure sounds like the third design win is a games console.

Yeah I'm sticking with the NX having an AMD SoC.

BTW, this may just be me suffering from my own suggestion, but it sure sounded like Mark Papermaster started to stutter a lot just after he mentioned the 3-design-wins sentence, as if he was spilling the beans on something he shouldn't (i.e. 3rd design win being another console).

Last edited by a moderator:
What happened to AMD's ARM design win they talked about before and the one that's "beyond gaming"? This was when they were still on the ARM hype train and talking about ambidextrous ARM and x86. There has been nothing about it in a long time and even k12 is pretty much pushed back. I wonder if AMD is still doing any of that and this third design win is related. NX being ARM could be very likely but being described as beyond gaming makes no sense.

Back