Holiday trip ideas

Thread duly renamed as it's far more interesting to have a thread with all sorts of trip ideas instead of my old Asia trip.

I'm in Santorini right now which must be one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. And I've been around. A lot.

Thats somewhere I'd love to visit. I'm planning a trip to Crete as one of my next excursions so may combine it with a short stop over there.

Tongue how did your holiday go?

Also I'm going back next January. I'll be staying for 2.5 months in Thailand. Around one week in Bangkok and the rest in Samui in the same apartment complex as this year. I had to divide it in to two different apartments due to other bookings, but they are similar and from the same Airbnb renter, so it's all good.
Funny coincident is that this year I spent 26 days in Thailand, 31 days in USA and 17 days in Crete, which is 74 days in total, the exact same number I'll be in Thailand next year. Can't wait!

I had a good time, thanks for asking.

We stayed at the hotel for the whole time as we were only there for 4 nights my GF and I decided to just relax at the pool and beach. The hotel was quite a bit off the city center and though the hotel did offer rides to and from town a couple of times a day we felt I wasn’t worth it.

I really loved the pool. They had two of them, one was always pretty busy but the other one hardly had anyone there. Usually not more than 4 people besides us. I don’t understand because that pool was built on a cliff and had an amazing top down view of the sea and beach.

The beach was a little bit disappointing. There was some trash on the beach like cigarette butts, some old building materials etc. Nothing extreme but I did notice it right away. The sea was great though when booking the hotel I wasn’t aware that there were so many rocks on the seabed. The plus side was that you could see quite a bit of fish when snorkeling, the downside was that if you want to do some ball games or whatever you couldn’t really do that because you’d trip over the rocks. I suppose not such a big deal for adults but not recommended with kids.

Oh and there were hardly any people at the beach either so very quiet :)

The room was fine. Really, you’d be surprised how awesome even average housing looks to you after living in Japan for a couple of years. The room was about double the size of my apartment :LOL:

The place could do with some little touch-ups though. Some mold, noisy aircon, broken dvd player etc. Nothing major but given their regular room rates I expect the place to be free of such issues. We booked with a big discount (little under 130 euro’s a night) so I didn’t care too much.

Food was good too. Though we probably paid way too much for everything. Essentially spending the same on dinner as we would at a decent place in Japan.

I would definitely go to Samui again though I would probably stay in and around the resorts, not spending too much time in the cities. On our way to and from the airport a lot of it looked pretty shabby. That said, I’m sure there are plenty of nice places as well, we just didn’t have the time to really check it out.

I am making a massive comeback to the Holiday trip ideas scene :)

Next week I'll go to Crete for a month this time, will have a car to drive around most if not all of the time. I quite like the place and the food. Will get a gym membership also.

I'll also be 12 weeks in Thailand in Jan-March. One week in Bangkok and 11 in Samui, although I might do some other travelling during that time. I'll have a nicer place this year than the previous two trips in Samui. Should be fun and I'll be bringing my Disc golf gear with me as Samui now has some decent places to play.

I'm also planning on doing another 4-6 week trip to some still unknown location in November-December, then spend the holidays and New Year in Finland and fly to Bangkok soon after. I'll be going back to work in April, probably do a ton of overtime and do some more travelling after.

Nice!
I'm going to a beautiful little greek island call Zakynthos (Zante) next week.
Then a few work trips before I also head to Thailand at the end of December!
Cuba in March :)

Cuba sounds very cool, would be nice to go there some day. I'm ready to get some sun and having proper temperatures again. The summer has been quite shitty over here and well over as well...

a place I stayed in vietnam (shared room) less than $2US a night including a smorgasbord each night ~15 dishes, all the beer you can drink & spirits as well.
Or 4/5 star hotels for ~$5 a night
And your that cheap that you decided to save $3 a night :D

@Davros, often the atmosphere in the $2 place is much better, esp with everyone sitting down and eating & drinking communally (plus you have to add the extra drink/food expenses onto the $5 a night)

@Dr Evil
Ah, the legendary Finnish 23 vacation weeks a year! You guys got it good...! ;)

Officially I have only 10 days I think... I used to run a small business, but now I'm employee. I'll just do a contract for certain amount of time and after that is done I'm free to fly :)
I've already agreed to return in April though. Next year I might have to travel a little less or work longer days/ more months to repeat what I'll do now, but I don't really plan that far ahead, I'll take it as it comes.

I'm off to China for 3 weeks at the end of the month. I had intended to learn a bit of Mandarin before I went but I've only managed 1-10 so far. Hopefully everyone will speak English!

Back