Why go for 60 FPS in every bit of every game? *spawn*

mpg1

Veteran
I don't even get why 60fps is such a big deal to have in EVERY aspect of EVERY game...

Frankly the campaign/single player section of every game can be 30fps are far as I am concerned.

I only really want 60fps in multiplayer (shooters in particular) and sports/racing games.

Does that happen much on PC (different framerate introduces bugs)?

Bethesda's engine has always struggled with frame rates north of 120, as physics go south. I also recall one Need For Speed game launched locked at 30 and forcing it to 60 broke the game but I think it was patched - officially or unofficially.

I don't even get why 60fps is such a big deal to have in EVERY aspect of EVERY game...

Frankly the campaign/single player section of every game can be 30fps are far as I am concerned.

I only really want 60fps in multiplayer (shooters in particular) and sports/racing games.

Because playing single player action games at 30 FPS is an unpleasant experience graphically and WRT gameplay for many people?

Regards,
SB

I swear every new topic that is spun off is because of one of my comments..

This was spun off because I thought it would get more attention than being buried in a console hardware discussion.

All I want is a game for the PSNEO or PS5 that is 720P and 30FPS that pushes past the uncanny valley.
For all my life, I've dreamed of a game that looked as realistic as a television show. For example, Stargate SG1 or Star Trek Voyager. However, the new theme is to push resolution above all else to reduce development costs.

All I want is a game for the PSNEO or PS5 that is 720P and 30FPS that pushes past the uncanny valley.
For all my life, I've dreamed of a game that looked as realistic as a television show. For example, Stargate SG1 or Star Trek Voyager. However, the new theme is to push resolution above all else to reduce development costs.
you want more realism and faster more capable hardware, I am one of those happy with the glass half full as long as it is 60 fps, you on the other hand want the full glass. To me that's unrealistic realism.

ufff, if you put realism in if it aids or serves in the suspension of disbelief (so to say) motif of the game. We'll always have your basic - now generally called "Retro" games - which are so cool, and don't need that hyper mega-realism. Firstly gameplay is important. If "realism" aids the game in being what it wants to be, then by all means, add it in the game. just don't stuff up the general gameplay component in order to favour the realism.

Besides, at this rate, we should be hitting what you call the "uncanny valley" effect real soon in regards to "realism" which may just push people back into a global state where they prefer less realism rather than more...

I'm happy with the glass half full as well -- I'll gladly sacrifice high resolution and high frame rate for graphics that look like a live action television show.
When it comes to game play, there is really no need to sacrifice photorealism. Maybe for a highly photorealistic game having a thousand ultra-detailed characters with long flowing hair is unrealistic. But a thousand other scenerios would be perfectly doable.

I think we are already in the uncanney valley, especially when it comes to characters. However, a few years ago there were demos running in real time of fully photorealistic faces that were running on what would now be considered mid-range GPUs. All we need to achieve near photorealism is to remain at 720P or 1080P max and stay at 30FPS -- in addition to having developers who are willing to push for photorealism than take the easy way out and make stylized games that require far less work. For example, Drake's Fortune is STILL PURPOSELY STYLIZED and that is why I have ZERO interest in playing the game. If they would ever make a DF game that was intentionally realistic, I'd be very interested!

Personally, 30fps dont bother me at all in a lot of game types I do enjoy. Stealth games like Assassins Creed, Metal Gear or Hitman specially, miss out very little really. Action games though, could play better. GTA, Uncharted, Gears, all deserve 60fps.

I hate 30 fps game that looks doubled when panning.

Uncharted 4 is one of the best 30 fps game that have really low amount of doubling.

Already posted this thing with pictures of Ni no Kuni picture doubling ages ago on B3D. But I can't remember the thread where I posted it.

Oh and also 30 fps with low input lag is fine. Destiny is 30 fps and it is muuuuuch more responsive than BF4 at perceptual 60 fps (it never consistently touch 60 fps in my ps4)

I think there is a compelling game to be found through the viewfinder of a virtual 90s-era camcorder, rendering a highly realistic world at 480p or lower at 60Hz, emulating the visual effects and flaws of technology of that time. Recent games like Her Story have used this aesthetic effectively, and it would tap into the current wave of nostalgia for that era evidenced by the breakout success of Stranger Things.

through the viewfinder of a virtual 90s-era camcorder, rendering a highly realistic world at 480p
the thing is you and other eg babcat forget (ignoring the lighting,edges,materials,movement etc well everything else), the world is rendered at 99999p yes the final image recorded at on the camcoder is at 240p, you just cant go well vhs is 240p and looked good why cant they make a 240p game now that looks just as good (yes I know this is more the lighting, and not resolution)

Back