Choosing laptop

Kaotik

Drunk Member
Legend
Supporter
I've narrowed my choices pretty much to these two:
Lenovo Yoga 500 or Asus X556AU (orsomethinglikethat)
Both have with Core i5-6200U / 8GB / 128GB SSD / Full HD, but Lenovo has touch support + "tablet mode" by turning the display on the backside, right?

Both are priced about the same, but the Lenovo would need to be ordered from swedish e-tailer, while the Asus would come from a local store nearby.

Is there any other argument to choose Asus instead of Lenovo, except the ease of warranty process in case I need to RMA it in one point or another?
I know of all the lenovo shenanigans with rootkits and whatnot, but to my knowledge, they're not included in newest models anymore, and if they are, Lenovo provides tools to disable them

edit:
Main use is on my studies (bachelor of nursing, need to get me into a field where we won't run out of jobs), but it would also help on my current job (future side job) which involves light photoshop use

Last edited:
I suppose it's the X556UF you're looking at.
For Photoshop use?, I wonder about how you do screen calibration. Maybe it isn't an issue on laptops but I honestly don't know.

The Asus can be maxed out to 12GB RAM (DDR3L on Skylake), not that great but quite good. If there's a SKU with 4GB RAM (built-in) and you add an 8GB so-dimm that'd be great.
The Lenovo? I can't find information on the product page and in the user manual pdf. What a joke?
A web retailer says it has zero slot, so likely the RAM is fixed.

I find it impressive how the Asus shoehorns VGA + HDMI and a DVD drive in there (DVD might be replaced with an SSD later if you find some bay that fits in)

Does Asus have matte display? That's a huge plus for me personally.
You should also find out display type - TN or IPS (VA).

I suppose it's the X556UF you're looking at.
For Photoshop use?, I wonder about how you do screen calibration. Maybe it isn't an issue on laptops but I honestly don't know.

The Asus can be maxed out to 12GB RAM (DDR3L on Skylake), not that great but quite good. If there's a SKU with 4GB RAM (built-in) and you add an 8GB so-dimm that'd be great.
The Lenovo? I can't find information on the product page and in the user manual pdf. What a joke?
A web retailer says it has zero slot, so likely the RAM is fixed.

I find it impressive how the Asus shoehorns VGA + HDMI and a DVD drive in there (DVD might be replaced with an SSD later if you find some bay that fits in)
Actually it's UA, but I just realized I checked the price wrong, it's way more expensive at the local shop
But could order it for ~same price as the Lenovo from another swedish place http://cdon.fi/kodin-elektroniikka/...ketti&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=muropaketti

I'm planning to make it with 8GB, like I said, photoshop use is light, color calibration isn't that relevant in what I do with it (tbh mostly I use it for the interface I'm used to, pretty much anything I do I could do with free alternatives too)

The ASUS is indeed matte

edit:
Found perfect solution, cheap enough ThinkPad E560 with same specs except 4GB memory and 192GB SSD, and has Win10Pro instead of Home.
Ordered it with 8GB extra DDR3L SODIMM, price went only ~30€ higher than the earlier options

Last edited:
Thinkpads well under $/€ 1000, that's a little surprise for me. I do have a dead $5000 Thinkpad around (well, it's the oldest Pentium M you can find and I thought re-seating the SO-DIMMs would fix it. Didn't cost me a cent. Too bad, lol)

Thinkpads well under $/€ 1000, that's a little surprise for me. I do have a dead $5000 Thinkpad around (well, it's the oldest Pentium M you can find and I thought re-seating the SO-DIMMs would fix it. Didn't cost me a cent. Too bad, lol)
Yeah, the ThinkPad E -series is a bit cheaper, and probably lower quality than the full blown businessmonsters we're all used to

Loved my old corporate Thinkpad 600E, which I was allowed to purchase for personal use after three years of depreciation. Upgraded the CPU, memory, bigger disk, even swapped the wireless NIC (but had to use a hacked firmware to allow it to function!) it was still a pretty weaksauce box but MAN it lived forever. Eventually gave it to a family member who needed a reliable machine for internet surfing.

Corporate gave me a Thinkpad R50, it was eventually replaced by a T43 and both were excellent boxes. Neither gave me the same sense of nostalgia as that 600E though :)

Isn't the correct answer here: "Don't buy a laptop!" ?

Isn't it better 95% of the time to buy a cheap android tablet and a desktop pc?

And for the other 5% of the time that you really need to do hardcore computing on the go, neither of these options make sense and money really isn't an option at that point because you're already spending a huge premium?

Isn't the correct answer here: "Don't buy a laptop!" ?

Isn't it better 95% of the time to buy a cheap android tablet and a desktop pc?

And for the other 5% of the time that you really need to do hardcore computing on the go, neither of these options make sense and money really isn't an option at that point because you're already spending a huge premium?
No, it's not. Windows tablet + keyboard cover could be acceptable, but the decent ones cost far more than laptops

Back