AMD: Speculation, Rumors, and Discussion (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you still recommend buying a ref 480 8GB (considering its power problem)
I would go with the 8GB. Reference card is probably fine as long as not going sli, though I'm waiting for the MSI custom cards myself... I imagine the price gouging will come down once the next wave of stock comes through.

180 for a 460 is stupid you can get a much more powerful card, used, for that or less.
Well, yeah, I'm not going to buy a 460 level GPU because the performance is simply too low. It would definitely be an upgrade over my Kaveri GPU (almost everything is!), but I'm thinking something that will match at least PS4 Neo performance. Anyway, other GPU at that price (in my country of course) is 370 4GB (slightly more expensive) and 950 2GB (around the same price). So basically it is priced competitively within its performance bracket. Definitely not as disruptive as 480 pricing, which make other cards pricing at around the same performance level look stupid.

Last edited:
Well, yeah, I'm not going to buy a 460 level GPU because the performance is simply too low. It would definitely be an upgrade over my Kaveri GPU (almost everything is!), but I'm thinking something that will match at least PS4 Neo performance. Anyway, other GPU at that price (in my country of course) is 370 4GB (slightly more expensive) and 950 2GB (around the same price). So basically it is priced competitively within its performance bracket. Definitely not as disruptive as 480 pricing, which make other cards pricing at around the same performance level look stupid.
Well I was talking about the used market. You can get a 7970 for 150 or less.

Enviado desde mi HTC One mediante Tapatalk

$139 to $180 is almost a 30% increase, which is a lot. Basically those that only have budget for 460, then you must really stretch your budget to be able to buy 470.

30% is not that much tbh, and you get a >100% increase in performance so its a no brainer really. Or like other people have stated..used 7970s or GTX 680s are around the same price as the 460 and offer much higher performance, at the cost of higher power of course.
Anyway, the pricing is really making life difficult. Anyway, if I game in 1080p, is 8GB useful, even for future proofing? Would you still recommend buying a ref 480 8GB (considering its power problem) vs 480 4GB non ref (which probably will perform better than ref).

8 GB is definitely useful for future proofing. Look at GTA V results for example. Also depends on how often you upgrade. If you aren't gonna upgrade for 2-3 years then the 8 GB card is worth getting. Other option is get the 4 GB 470 now and upgrade when the next gen is out.

For cards like the 470 and 480 4GB is plenty IMO. Hell even my 3.5GB GTX970 does just fine at 1080p. Once games start demanding more than 4GB I don't think these cards will be very relevant anyway.

Right now if I were on a really tight budget the 4GB 470 is probably what I would go for.

Right now if I were on a really tight budget the 4GB 470 is probably what I would go for.

The problem with that is that the 4GB 470(only custom available) are in the same price as reference 480 that already have better performance...

After some additional polishing and improved illumination it looks like this (click on it for full resolution): ...
If only there were a blog post somewhere that explains how he's doing this. It probably requires messing around with very dangerous substances, but there must be enough people with access to some kind of chemical lab installation to try this as well.

Die shots of Maxwell, Pascal, ... They're all missing.

The problem with that is that the 4GB 470(only custom available) are in the same price as reference 480 that already have better performance...
Ah.. I suppose msrp doesn't mean much from either vendor these days. Is 14/16nm production really that limited?

Ah.. I suppose msrp doesn't mean much from either vendor these days. Is 14/16nm production really that limited?
I haven't been able to buy a 480/70 yet... They are only available in Newegg for mins or on eBay for 100+ dollars. Still not a single card have been sold in Amazon under 300.

Enviado desde mi HTC One mediante Tapatalk

Is there any chance of a larger Polaris coming out this year? It's unclear to me why AMD decided to only go with a small die strategy, leaving the performance segment solely to Nvidia. I realize that Vega is due out next year, but that is 6-9 months from the launch of the 1070/1080.

It's disappointing for sure, but I suspect they just don't have the engineering manpower to pull off a more aggressive development schedule than this - and even so, Polaris is mediocre at best. Money may be a concern as well. And their console commitments will be stealing resources as well.

Looking at the availability of the small dies I think it would be impossible for AMD to make bigger die. the bigger chip is already in motion and its called VEGA, but a P10 big die with 250W or even 275W TDP competing against the 1070 wouldn't be very "competitive"... something went horribly wrong at Polaris development, there are numerous signs of it, our only hope is that AMD learn and fix their problems and that VEGA became what Polaris was going to be.

BTW a message for any AMD employee here: If AMD wanted market share, the first thing to do is to at least have stock of your cards...you will never get market share if you cant at least match the demand...Also selling 2 different cards with same performance and price is not a smart strategy, even worse, a custom 470 with 8GB is more expensive that a reference 480 also with 8GB and the latter is still like 10%(counting max manual OC on the custom 470) faster...This is how you DON'T get market share.

16nm is limited in that TSMC is *not* fully rampped up yet, they expect full ramp up by end of this year. 14nm Gloflo not sure, haven't heard any news on their side.

Could Vega come way faster than expected ?
Only in my wildest dreams.

I'd love to see a high-end GPU from the red team, tomorrow if at all possible, but moving a big, complex GPU forwards by months - possibly half a year - when has that ever happened? I'm not sure it has ever happened, and unless AMD was previously artificially delaying Vega to 2017 in roadmaps for no discernible reason there'd be no genuine way to make it happen either. You would normally want to launch when your product is ready, yes? Not let your new biggest bad flagship sit on a shelf and rot for months as your competitior is eating your lunch left right and center...

In other words; AMD found a genie in a magic lamp I have to assume, should this rumor turn out to be true. :p

to me it screams "We have nothing to stop Pascal selling like hot cakes with premium profit so let's start to hype Vega hoping that some customers will wait for it"
When Lisa Su said few days ago that Vega is definitively a 2017 part. Pathetic:no:
Actually, when Lisa Su was asked at the technology leadership conference not quite a week ago (which I assume you're referring to), if we can expect high end cards over the next two years, she said 'more like within the next two quarters'.
Vague, but doesn't allow extension beyond early February. Could be any time before that, theoretically.

Actually, when Lisa Su was asked at the technology leadership conference not quite a week ago (which I assume you're referring to), if we can expect high end cards over the next two years, she said 'more like within the next two quarters'.
Vague, but doesn't allow extension beyond early February. Could be any time before that, theoretically.

I think quarters are almost always used to mean January–March, April–June, July–September, October–December, or the specific company's fiscal quarters. So we can probably expect a (possibly papery) launch in December.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back