Quantum Break [UWP]

Nope, at least not yet. Funny thing is if i set everything to Ultra the driver is just crashing after a while :D
LOL ah well.

One more question as it would be interesting from a comparison behaviour perspective.
Anyone know of a review for the Nvidia 1080 that also benchmarked Quantum Break?
Thanks

Ok this is moderately interesting.
HardwareCanuck did test Quantum Break.
Now I am comparing to 980 as they have identical structure in terms of SM/GPC clusters.
They show at 1440p that the 1080FE is actually just over 2x faster.
Now this actually diverges from the trend where game difference is around 65% to 75% on average between 980 and the 1080FE.

I also looked at RoTR with their DX12 and that is 71.5% faster on 1080FE.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru.../72619-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-review-21.html

So first glance does look like the 1080FE is handling better than Maxwell 2 the post processing effects such as global/volumetric lighting in Quantum Break (which is probably more aligned-optimised to GCN architecture).
However they tested in the first level rather further along where it becomes much more heavy in terms of volumetric lighting.
Cheers

The first level isn't really indicative of general perf i'd say. Chapter 2 is where it's at.

The first level isn't really indicative of general perf i'd say. Chapter 2 is where it's at.
Yeah which is why I mentioned it, but still 101% performance increase even in 1st section is much greater than the trend and really interesting from a perspective that the 1080 seems to cope better with the Northlight engine.

Cheers

Hmm.. I was hoping I was CPU bound in QB with my old i7-920. Oh well, I'll wait till the Titan P comes out in August and see those benches.

Not surprising. Microsoft games exclusive to the UWP store have traditionally just been timed exclusives. Look at Halo: Spartan Ops, for example. And at E3 Spencer mentioned that Microsoft wants to continue to release its games on Steam.

Obviously you won't be able to benefit from the Play Anywhere program so buying a Steam version wouldn't get you the Xbox version as well for participating titles.

Regards,
SB

Not surprising. Microsoft games exclusive to the UWP store have traditionally just been timed exclusives. Look at Halo: Spartan Ops, for example. And at E3 Spencer mentioned that Microsoft wants to continue to release its games on Steam.

Obviously you won't be able to benefit from the Play Anywhere program so buying a Steam version wouldn't get you the Xbox version as well for participating titles.

Regards,
SB
Halo Spartan Ops is not QB.
Yes, I remember this statement, but I cannot imagine that GoW 4 or Forza will come to Steam. Or wait: GfWL will rise again!

Halo Spartan Ops is not QB.
Yes, I remember this statement, but I cannot imagine that GoW 4 or Forza will come to Steam. Or wait: GfWL will rise again!
1. those are big first party games.
2. I don't see why not. After a certain period of time they've made as much as their going to make, why not put it on steam. As long as it had a long enough exclusive period.

The way for MS to really fight steam is to compete on features first and for most, exclusive's (timed). Get the store and UWP to a high standard, then people won't be so relucent to buy from MS store. They seem to be working on all the issues people had with UWP.

I know people are saying they only doing it because it was a sales failure, but I think they would've anyway, it was always the plan. Like TR.

I think this is good for QB, MS, Remedy, gamers, and steam. Putting it on steam is almost like when a game gets put in bargain basket.

Lets see if the DX11 version will have a better performance than the UWP DX12-version.

But Forza Horizon 3 interests me much more. Hoping for a version on steam.

1. those are big first party games.
2. I don't see why not. After a certain period of time they've made as much as their going to make, why not put it on steam. As long as it had a long enough exclusive period.

The way for MS to really fight steam is to compete on features first and for most, exclusive's (timed). Get the store and UWP to a high standard, then people won't be so relucent to buy from MS store. They seem to be working on all the issues people had with UWP.

I know people are saying they only doing it because it was a sales failure, but I think they would've anyway, it was always the plan. Like TR.

I think this is good for QB, MS, Remedy, gamers, and steam. Putting it on steam is almost like when a game gets put in bargain basket.
1. But you don't pay 70 Euros for Halo Spartan Ops.

2. Because these games come with cross-buy&cross-play support. People don't like Windows 10, because they don't want to share their data with Microsoft. But if a Steam version needs a Xbox Live ID, it doesn't make sense.

Lets see if the DX11 version will have a better performance than the UWP DX12-version.

And what if the Steam/retail version performs under DX12 better than under DX11?

1. But you don't pay 70 Euros for Halo Spartan Ops.
I wasn't talking about spartan ops, that was my point that's not a big first party. QB isn't first party either.
2. Because these games come with cross-buy&cross-play support. People don't like Windows 10, because they don't want to share their data with Microsoft. But if a Steam version needs a Xbox Live ID, it doesn't make sense.
Is it really Windows 10 that's the problem 'still', from the steam data it sounded like win10's up take was very good.

The impression I got was that the store wasn't very good and UWP was very limiting.
And what if the Steam/retail version performs under DX12 better than under DX11?
That's a whole different issue, and comes under improving UWP more than likely.

The game still has a DX11 render path. I just say it is intersting to see how the performance will be.
The UWP version will no longer get support.

tweet2pzssd.png

Found: http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=11128865&postcount=982

Unlikely to, not won't. It all depends on if Microsoft or Remedy sees a need to update the UWP version. At this point they've already received (according to them) significant help from Nvidia to attempt to improve the performance on Nvidia hardware in Dx12 and it's unlikely there's much more they can do there.

It'll be interesting to see how the Dx11 version compares the Dx12 version both in terms of performance and more importantly in terms of IQ at similar performance levels or performance at similar IQ levels.

Regards,
SB

after bit more thought, what could really undermine Ms store is QB release to steam around same time a new uwp game comes out and it's a bad experience like most of the uwp games released so far.
at that point it's a direct comparison.

if the uwp game works well, with certain level of features then ok, otherwise QB will be brought up as counter point of why Ms store is bad and why it's worth waiting as it'll come to steam anyway.

maybe they should've waited until they had a couple successful uwp game launches?

Back