orangpelupa forgot that he is a gamer and now he makes PokeTwit for Pokémon GO

It's no longer on the Google store. What happened?

Got taken down for many infringement / rules broken says Google.

Already appealed for trademark, impersonation, and deceptive.

They then change the infringement to "copyright"

What the heck....

"your app contains unlicensed content from Pokemon Go."

What the heck. No I don't. And Google doesn't bother to mention what unlicensed content they means.

And "You can upload the policy compliant version of your app using a new app name and a new package name."

Seriously, what content it infringe.

Now I'm out of town so don't have time to appeal again.

On the other hand, other apps that blatantly infringe the rules still in play store. Those app use pokeball icon, color scheme, flat out used ripped pokémon game assets.

Yeah, I can see that. Lots of Pokemon content...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=kingnn.pkm.whothat
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mcmobiletech.pokedex2
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.icymelon.pokedroid_pe.pokedroidpe !!! This one adds Pokemon to Minecraft!

You wouldn't mind if the rules were consistent, but the unfairness bites deep. What was the app for? This chat client manages to avoid copyright and just references the name, which I guess is fair use and shows how you do it properly.

I wonder who reported it? Unlike to be Pokemon Go or Niantic. Wonder if a rival did?

@Shifty Geezer

My app was a twitter client that stalks all tweets near you that contains pokemon keyword and some monsters.

Sure pokémon is trademarked. But in the case of my app, it's fair use. I mean, how else do you search for Pokémon without writing pokémon...

And the penalty for failed appeal is very high. It's the shutdown of your whole account and you are banned for live from making a new account.

Although this unfair behavior of Google is actually not new and prevalent everywhere. It also really annoying in YouTube.

Heck, there's even companies that specialize in taking over your ads revenue if you video is a wee bit popular and relying on fair use.

The penalty for failed counter claim? Banned for life.

Yeah, it's a sadly F***** system, DMCA. Just reading Google's docs, they have to comply with a DMCA takedown, and the solution is to battle it out in the law courts. The world really needs a centralised Copyright (at least DMCA) authority that handles all this without courts being involved. Conceptually I could trash any number of YouTubers and app developers just by filing bogus DMCA claims.

Its only a mater of time until copyright itself becomes a completely impractical concept for a lot of its uses, but that's talk for another day.

Now Google emails me that I have problem with AdMob and the access or something has been suspended but the account itself still fine. And as usual they didn't bother to explain.

Despite my admob should be not serving any ads because my app was taken down.

You do not have to release stuff on Youtube or Google's app store if you don't want to. You can always put stuff elsewhere.

Back