No DX12 Software is Suitable for Benchmarking *spawn*

Guru3D is currently doing a Time Spy review (work in progress) and has posted some Nvidia scores using the Geforce 368.61 drivers. Looks like he will be testing AMD cards next so stay tuned.
index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/futuremark-3dmark-timespy-benchmark-review,1.html

Edit: All cards are reference editions or have reference clock frequencies applied

Last edited:
I'm guessing the reason why the GTX 970 wasn't shown in the Async Compute part on Anandtech was that it showed no gains (IE - performance didn't drop when it was disabled)? Or did Ryan just run out of time before posting?

Regards,
SB

I'm guessing the reason why the GTX 970 wasn't shown in the Async Compute part on Anandtech was that it showed no gains (IE - performance didn't drop when it was disabled)? Or did Ryan just run out of time before posting?

Regards,
SB
In the article he said it was just quick tests on the 2 cards so likely time issue. I was just being snarky with all the crap lately and it wasn't directed at all at the article.

Anandtech said:
In the case of async compute, Futuremark is using it to overlap rendering passes, though they do note that "the asynchronous compute workload per frame varies between 10-20%."

Overlap rendering passes?
Isn't this a rather limited use of Async Compute? Is it Async Compute at all since they're not actually mixing graphics with non-graphics workloads?

Overlap rendering passes?
Isn't this a rather limited use of Async Compute? Is it Async Compute at all since they're not actually mixing graphics with non-graphics workloads?

Actually, this is the usual way I've seen it discussed. Post-processing or later-stage elements of a frame are overlapped with the early graphics phases of the next.
Doom does it, a bunch of console games do it. Aside from asynchronous time warp, that's a lot of where I've seen it.
"Compute" in GCN terms is mostly to do more graphics, not non-graphics.

In the article he said it was just quick tests on the 2 cards so likely time issue. I was just being snarky with all the crap lately and it wasn't directed at all at the article.

Oh, I realized you were being snarky. :) I was just genuinely curious why the 970 wasn't in that graph.

Regards,
SB

I think the basic edition doesn't let you turn off async, still interesting to see Pascal actually showing an improvement with async. It's also interesting to see the 480 having less of an improvement in comparison to the 390/fury (11% vs 15%).

Edit: One 970 run with the new drivers (not much of a difference): http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13204165?

I wonder how Guru3d ended up with at least 5% better score for their 1070, their AMD 480 seems to have near identical scores to the other sites.
Driver (it is a reference 1070)?
Guru3d only one I think to mention their drivers.
Having to use overall scores here, but still seems pretty aligned for 480 between all of them including Guru3d, only the 1070 seems to have some noteable divergence.

Last edited:
I wonder how Guru3d ended up with at least 5% better score for their 1070, their AMD 480 seems to have near identical scores to the other sites.
Driver (it is a reference 1070)?
Guru3d only one I think to mention their drivers.
Having to use overall scores here, but still seems pretty aligned for 480 between all of them including Guru3d, only the 1070 seems to have some noteable divergence.
Guru's results are currently kinda worthless because the CPU score is inflating the overall results. They should post the GPU and CPU scores separately like the other websites. At least we can see in the screenshot that the 1070 has a Graphics score of 5654 which is in line with Anandtech's and Computer Base's results.

Mhi7m5A.jpg

Oddly enough my Fury X (stock clock) is faster than theirs (5067 vs 5342):

mbAm80m.jpg

Last edited:
Back