AMD: Speculation, Rumors, and Discussion (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously, since one year, Nvidia drivers support is just a full nightmare ( game ready drivers who are worst than the previous "non game ready drivers", full of crash and problem ( fans, power limit etc ) whatever you still own a 780 or a Maxwelll series
I've had very few problems ... none with games and I'm still using 780's. I'm sure issues may occur depending on pc components/software but nothing out of the ordinary. Nvidia is also on a different driver release schedule and people will not find as many betas as a year ago.

I've had very few problems ... none with games and I'm still using 780's. I'm sure issues may occur depending on pc components/software but nothing out of the ordinary. Nvidia is also on a different driver release schedule and people will not find as many betas as a year ago.

Maybe, 90% of the gamers forums aimed at " hardware" use more exotic system than you, forums as guru3D as for an example .... or play the latest game immediately, or maybe they are more difficult than you, who know... More seriously, you have just to go watch the gaming and Nvidia drivers forums, ( including the "Nvidia sites one ".. i mean.. no discussion is possible there .. There's hundred of threads in every sites and forums about the diving of the Nvidia drivers quality .. ( Suddenly i see that i post this on an AMD thread, that was not realy my attention to defend AMD one, but i was just resond to a post )

Last edited:
Maybe, 90% of the gamers forums aimed at " hardware" use more exotic system than you, forums as guru3D as for an example .... or play the latest game immediately ..
Possibly ... I play all latest games that suit my taste and have had no issues. Except for my graphics cards (which I'm totally happy with), I'm pretty sure in those forums less than 10% have systems better than what I use. I'm sure you realize 100 gamers having problems no matter what game they play is more related to issues beyond drivers ...

I thought dual-GPU technology had improved a good deal? But I'm still not fond of it so I have't paid very close attention.
It has. The problem is the game engines are at the same time going away from being anywhere near multiGPU friendly with all the temporal effects and what not. Mantle/DX12/Vulkan provide solutions for that, but require efforts by the devs

The wccftech article is a joke. This howler,

And he didn't mean Polaris 11 there, since in the very next line he says,

Finally he links C99x board to dual Polaris 10 despite the fact that the second digit identifies the chip used.

Zauba shipping manifests for Hawaii were C676, C675 and C673 for xt, pro and x2 respectively and more recently,

C882 - Fiji nano
C888 - Fiji x2 (Gemini)
C880 - Fiji XT

So C98x and C99x are definitely not the same chip, C99x could be a polaris 10 board if C99x was for Polaris 10 chips but that isn't clear either. He could've linked the new prices on zauba for the cards,
RX 480 / Polaris 10 is actually D00x

Possibly ... I play all latest games that suit my taste and have had no issues. Except for my graphics cards (which I'm totally happy with), I'm pretty sure in those forums less than 10% have systems better than what I use. I'm sure you realize 100 gamers having problems no matter what game they play is more related to issues beyond drivers ...

I ask me when i read this, why Nvidia or AMD take the time to release new drivers for fix bugs, ( if you have not had any issues ), with games .. or do you mean, no issue who was bother you , performance or other .Sorry, but this type of "words" who allways make me smile ..

But, well... 5h here, time for sleep i think.

Nvidia drivers were horrible late last year, causing browser crashes etc. Since february they have been solid but I'm still reluctant to update withour a reason. My experiences were with a 970.

well of course, but if the margin of error carries over, you can quantify or eliminate said error by comparative analysis. Its the difference between analytics and pure data.

And i dont remember that SLI is working so well in windowed mode lol .
No, it doesn't work at all either, just like CF, to the best of my knowledge anyway.

Which is strange, because, you know, it shouldn't be so fraggin hard to blit a surface to the desktop alternatingly from either graphics card.

And NV driver nightmares have rather passed me by I'm afraid - I've been running Radeons for nearly two and a half years by now. Thanks for the heads-up tho. :)

It's curious that people think the review sites have rigs for measuring power more accurately than AMD/NVidia does.
This is a good point but also needs to be balanced by the background of the reviewer/site involved, and this can help to do it slightly cheaper and have deep knowledge on how to set this up to be validated.
Case in point look at Allyn Malventano's background who works at PcPer: https://www.linkedin.com/in/malventano
Electronics Nuclear Technician, and also electronics engineer in the Navy.

Tom's Hardware, well they were using the right scopes and probes (adds up to near $20k) and with the assistance/training from the manufacturer (I have used Rhode & Shwarz and they are very good/reputable) as Tom's Hardware says:
With our arts and crafts project completed, it was time for the strategic partnership with HAMEG (Rohde & Schwarz) to shine. The project just can’t be completed without laboratory-grade technology and the experience needed to use it.

So it is fair to say both of these publications were approaching this correctly, and within margins that their measurements should be taken seriously by AMD.
Cheers

Blaming or casting suspicion on the messenger is often a great indicator of guilt... :p

It's usually a much better strategy to fess up immediately when fucking up, then promptly and effectively deal with any negative fallout; that builds trust. Dodging and denying erodes trust.

Still intrigues me the variation of performance per watt on Polaris SKUs. RX 480 having power problems to reach GTX 980 performance, RX 470 promising 2,7x performance per watt over some 28nm GCN GPU, and a 35w P11 SKU having 2,8x the performance per watt over the R9 M280X. If they are having some trouble on fabbing high performance parts on GF14LPP will be a nice challenge to engineers to solve it.

Myself i think that they will fab the lower volume, higher performance Vega chips on TSMC.

And the guys at AT got a ashes of singularity bench of a RX 470: http://www.ashesofthesingularity.co...-details/c4f20d31-5c68-4047-973c-d67c3b8fec7c

It's usually a much better strategy to fess up immediately when fucking up, then promptly and effectively deal with any negative fallout; that builds trust. Dodging and denying erodes trust.
In all fairness, fessing up and fixing it is pretty much what AMD did.

I know the fix may still be borderline violating, but for the most part, the controversy is a thing of the past now. Time to move on to the next hot topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back