Steam hardware survey drops Flash

unfortunately they embedded overlay browser did it too. The overlay browser now completely sucks: slow, glitchy, no ad-blocker, no flash support, very poor ecma-script performance... I would love if they would allow to wrap your favourite browser...

Awesome !

I always wondered if the real reason Linux numbers were so low was because maybe the survey itself used Flash as well...

... but none of the Linux users I know have ever seen the survey come up so it's hard to tell :)

Anyone know if there's a way to see the names of the CPUs? The only details given seem to be speeds. I'd be interested in seeing the split between mobile and desktop CPUs. I think the 2 CPU figures are a bit inflated by dual core laptop CPUs (esports players)

This month the Hardware Survey appeared on my Surface Pro 4, when I was using it during vacations just to check the summer sales.

Shameful display..

What's shameful about it?

That Valve doesn't discern which machines with Steam installed are used for running games and which ones are used strictly for purchasing or streaming games.

On my desktop, steam decided I was using the CPU graphics hardware instead of the graphics card for the survey.

On my desktop, steam decided I was using the CPU graphics hardware instead of the graphics card for the survey.
Was it the "active" video adapter at the time? Or just the first logically enumerated adapter? Certainly a curious misnomer.

I don't think the hardware survey works any longer ever since AMD switched from CCC to Crimson.

Say: AMD cards are simply ignored entirely in the hardware survey for over a year now, if the user has made the "mistake" to update the driver. If you have an Intel IGP in addition to a dedicated AMD GPU, it will only count the Intel one.

Try searching for ANY recent AMD GPU in the survey chart. They are simply not recorded at all. And if someone takes the chart as "proof" that Nvidia currently has a >50% market share .... no, that's far from being accurate, as AMD is simply excluded.

Everyone has been assuming all Rx 200 and 300 series cards are placed under the "R9 200" name, though it's very weird to see the OEM-only HD8800 series outselling all 200 and 300 series combined.
Maybe all those cards are actually being placed under the "Other" group with 12%?
What other manufacturer could it ever be, if all nvidia and intel graphics cards seem to be detected?

Regardless, this latest June'16 hardware survey seems to be broken on a number of things. It claims DX12 cards lost 2.5% marketshare in and "DX8 and below" gained a whopping 8% within a month.

No, they are not recorded at all. They are simply dropped.

The only cards you are seeing recorded in there, are the ones still supported by the CCC, respectively mobile cards for switchable solutions where the owners are not supplied with anything newer than CCC by the system vendor.

AMDs entire R7 and R9 lineups making up for a combined 2.7% of the hardware base? You don't seriously believe that, do you? When the mobile-only 8800 rebrand alone already reaches almost 1%?

"Other" is essentially everything detected as a GPU, but not working. E.g. Intel IGPs which are still active (but no driver installed) when a dedicated is installed.

Last edited:
AMDs entire R7 and R9 lineups making up for a combined 2.7% of the hardware base? You don't seriously believe that, do you? When the mobile-only 8800 rebrand alone already reaches almost 1%?

Nope, I don't believe that.
But IIRC these numbers have been like this since well before the Crimson drivers became public.
Whatever it is, it's been going on for years.

Back