Doom [2016]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The game has the good sense of cutting itself short whenever the expository techno babble would start to get tiresome. It does this in a rather humorous and clever fashion too.

yeah :D like when on the first elevator, the dude keeps talking and i was like "ugh i wanna punch him!" then the doom guy punch the screen. SO SATISFYING :D

Love the addition of Photomode in patch 1.04, free toggle makes the Hell level look much prettier:).
H4halh.png

JBq3mb.png

http://i.cubeupload.com/zAkAZS.png

Any idea of what the photo mode actually does as far as enhancements?

Ugh my hdd space will cry... Games with photo mode and PNG screenshot eats storage like a gluttony.

Even worse, doom is fast. Stopping and enjoying the sick world and sick monsters in photo mode will be refreshing.

I'm so dumb for buying 1TB instead of 2TB. I'm duuuumb

Any idea of what the photo mode actually does as far as enhancements?
No enhancements as far as i can tell from the gameplay besides render mode. I have it on cinematic and i notice subsurface scattering is better in this mode. Also fas dof,sharpness,hdr,fov sliders.

Btw people says pc steam sale is cheaper than console sale. But doom is cheaper on ps4 US than Steam Indonesia sale lol.

I guess US always get the best deal as usual.

Eh I think it's overrated to be honest. I have been working my way through it since release and am losing interest a bit. As Grall has said, the checkpoints are bullshit sometimes and I'd like quick saves thanks.

I think the Doom name and endless advertising are most of its reasons for fame. Otherwise it would be another Hard Reset. That's certainly the gameplay formula here anyway.

I've never played the new Doom yet, but save checkpoints were something I loved in Far Cry 1. No more save scumming in corridors (or in underground churches full of fascist, leather-clad female shock troops).
It particularly worked in Far Cry since they were placed on a hill overseeing a mercenaries's camp, near the end of a drive from A to B etc. and you had some variety in how you chose to deal with the scene.

Well thanks for stopping by the thread then and singing game design praises for the game you haven't played.

Far Cry works ok because it plays linear and so you hit the checkpoints without much issue. There aren't really any secrets to go looking for. There are some large maps in Doom which have a bunch of secrets and lots of ways to fall to your death. Maybe some people enjoy repeatedly hopping around empty maps looking for secrets. I just gave up looking for them.

Doom does usually place checkpoints before major encounters, but there are a few that force you to repeat more than one major encounter.

Last edited:
I'm playing the Id Tech 5 based Wolfenstein right now. Enjoying it a lot, but holy shit has that engine come a long way from one iteration to the next.

It's a bit clunky, but it's listed as "beta" in the menu, so hopefully they improve the UI.

Beta indeed, can't access it from simply continuing your game?
The funny thing about using it while mid-game is that the A.I. actually tries to target the camera if you "advance frames". The player model doesn't exist, so I guess the camera becomes the player.

They may have locked it out of first playthrough to avoid bugs I suppose. You do return to your original position once going out of the camera mode though.

----

They ought to add more graphics options like supersampling etc. I can't change my current graphics settings without exiting the photo mode first.

Clicking the arrows for the DOF settings is very clunky and slow as well, and I'm not really sure how to use it to be honest other than experimenting.

They should copy those sliders and toggles and overlay as a full screen UI like IHV tech demos. Damn consolitis bullshit. :3

Last edited:
I'm playing the Id Tech 5 based Wolfenstein right now. Enjoying it a lot, but holy shit has that engine come a long way from one iteration to the next.
Yeah well consider the hardware that the idTech 5 games were targeting.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back