Accurate human rendering in game [2014-2016]

Status
Not open for further replies.
63ed4e-1465923242.jpg

b7bAbK.jpg

For comparison
3067950-img1.jpg

Excellent pic, and in motion Kratos looks killer too.

On another board someone was nitpicking how they could see polygon edges(?) on kratos, saying he wasn't that impressive, and how star citizen with its mostly lower quality assets(at least from most of the pics shown) compared to him.

Kratos hangs in there, imho. Best graphics so far.

PS
2 cents on an unrelated note, sorry for going off topic for a bit, it's kinda related,

Another sad thing was people talking about toy story being unsurpassed to this day, having far more polygons than todays games, far better shading and lighting, and better image quality. The polygon counts in the original toy story are said to be a few million per frame, already the 360 and ps3 were near those numbers, afaik. The textures and animation looked dated. A console pc port can easily sport similar image quality at higher than original toy story resolution, with higher polygon count, more modern lighting techniques, better animation, and better modeling work.

I'm not up to date on graphics algorithmic speed ups, but in some applications the speed ups obtained from algorithmic improvement have exceeded the speed ups obtained from moore's law. Speeds up which when combined with moore's law have allowed for far higher jump in relative performance.

An example is that older traditional AI techniques were said to require computers a century from now with moore's law advancement to beat a master human at 'go', but better algorithms allowed a computer from 2016(? or was it 2015?) to do that.

Last edited:
BTW, not sure if it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but what technique is being used for beard rendering on the latest games(e.g. kojima's, god of war, etc)?

The beards look brutally realistic, didn't notice any artifacts or shimmering. Much better than Agni's philosophy's beards which showed artifacts and looked fake despite probably running with higher specs.

Excellent pic, and in motion Kratos looks killer too.

On another board someone was nitpicking how they could see polygon edges(?) on kratos, saying he wasn't that impressive, and how star citizen with its mostly lower quality assets(at least from most of the pics shown) compared to him.

Kratos hangs in there, imho. Best graphics so far.

That wasn't Dictator93 over on gaf by chance ?, that dude spends ten hours a day pulling console exclusives apart and shouting about his favourite $100 million unfinished tech demo lol :p.

That wasn't Dictator93 over on gaf by chance ?, that dude spends ten hours a day pulling console exclusives apart and shouting about his favourite $100 million unfinished tech demo lol :p.
Probably him, someone at gaf. Most of the characters looked plastic, only the guy with the impressive spacesuit and the floating head lady looked nice, though the hair on the guy with the spacesuit looked suspect.

The streams of star citizen I've seen, haven't impressed though

Probably him, someone at gaf. Most of the characters looked plastic, only the guy with the impressive spacesuit and the floating head lady looked nice, though the hair on the guy with the spacesuit looked suspect.

The streams of star citizen I've seen, haven't impressed though

Characters are still WIP. Last time they showed a character model with the latest tech was in November 2015. Much has changed since then.
-forward rendered skin shader
-new skin shader which should behave more like human skin
-new hair tech compared to what was shown last year
14hWvPm.jpg

The hair of Gary Oldman looks different compared to the October 2015 video (character has no wrinkles here).

Technically they are going new ways with procedural aging/destruction of clothing, other probs etc.

Just look how many performance captured characters they will have compared to other games like Uncharted 4: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5194726/

In gameplay there will be 7 of these simultaneously on the bridge. While in other games usually very few 200 000 poly etc. characters were simultaneously seen. Especially during gameplay.

Last edited:
You may joke about him but he doesn't really "pull them apart", I converse with him a lot and he just likes to talk about tech regardless of platform the same as people here and knows his way around, the things he says aren't really wrong you know. You don't have to be a PC nut to point out that some parts of Kratos' model might be imperfect.

Because the reality is that Star Citizen is undoubtedly the most technologically advanced thing out there right now even in its unfinished state and it will be so even when it comes out. They are doing things that no one else does because they never have to care about those things in their games in the first place.

Last edited:
You may joke about him but he doesn't really "pull them apart", I converse with him a lot and he just likes to talk about tech regardless of platform the same as people here and knows his way around, the things he says aren't really wrong you know. You don't have to be a PC nut to point out that some parts of Kratos' model might be imperfect.

Because the reality is that Star Citizen is undoubtedly the most technologically advanced thing out there right now even in its unfinished state and it will be so even when it comes out. They are doing things that no one else does because they never have to care about those things in their games in the first place.

It was more a tongue in cheek comment mate, I actually really enjoy his posts but his PC bias is clearly evident. I have an i5 4Ghz CPU / 970 PC but it's amazing what these consoles can achieve with the esp shitty CPU's they have. Killzone, The Order, U4, Driveclub and Until Dawn all stand toe to toe visually in terms of assets with any game on PC imho (you're obviously always going to get better image quality and double the framerate if you're willing to pay for it).

It was more a tongue in cheek comment mate, I actually really enjoy his posts but his PC bias is clearly evident. I have an i5 4Ghz CPU / 970 PC but it's amazing what these consoles can achieve with the esp shitty CPU's they have. Killzone, The Order, U4, Driveclub and Until Dawn all stand toe to toe visually in terms of assets with any game on PC imho (you're obviously always going to get better image quality and double the framerate if you're willing to pay for it).
But is it really a bias if it's the truth though? Sure those games can stand toe to toe to anything on PC, but that anything excludes Star Citizen. Just look at how the ships are built in the game and how much work the developers have to do because of the fact that they have a localised gravity inside the ship and a different kind of physics outside due to no gravity...the complexity arises from the fact that the ships are modular and can be destroyed partially. Apart from that you have the graphical techniques themselves which are much higher quality and more advanced than seen in any console games, it is also the most feature complete game that we have seen till date.

I see it all as constructive criticism.

Last edited:
But is it really a bias if it's the truth though? Sure those games can stand toe to toe to anything on PC, but that anything excludes Star Citizen. Just look at how the ships are built in the game and how much work the developers have to do because of the fact that they have a localised gravity inside the ship and a different kind of physics outside due to no gravity...the complexity arises from the fact that the ships are modular and can be destroyed partially. Apart from that you have the graphical techniques themselves which are much higher quality and more advanced than seen in any console games, it is also the most feature complete game that we have seen till date.

I see it all as constructive criticism.

Fair enough. I will be impressed by Star Citizen when it releases as a full scale game and that's not a dig I'm saying that as the PS4 games I listed are all released. Looking at future games, Neo will make the third generation PS4 games like God of War 4, Horizon and Detroit all look even more amazing. It's ridiculous what talented artists, budget and console optimisation can achieve on such limited hardware (esp those CPU's) when you consider every screenshot you see of SC is usually running on a 970 or above.

Is there an ETA on SC ?

Liam Cunningham; Star Citizen/Squadron42

CmOx50kUoAANsLt.jpg

Hair tech looks much better now.

Is there an ETA on SC ?

Squadron 42 will appear earliest in the end of this year. Star Citizen could be released somewhere in the later next year. But this is only my assessment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back