Mass Effect: Andromeda

The one thing I really didn't understand was the harsh gating between the main quest line and everything else. The open world was entirely relegated to doing chores, and since all of them basically had the exact same objectives, there was little incentive for exploration. All the quests with some meat to them took place in small, quest-specific areas. It made for a massively disjointed world and an equally disjointed experience. Heck, Bioware even came forward and told disappointed players who spent most of their time in the Hinterlands region how they were simply playing the game wrong. With legitimately well designed games, that kinda stuff isn't really necessary.

So many questions, so long time until they are answered (two months to EA Play?) :)
Carnifex, Avenger M-8, ME1 style UI. Lovely.

I'm out of the loop.

Are the writers for this the same degenerates that wrote for Mass Effect 2 and 3?

It's a team of writers, but I think it was the guy who did Halo 4's story who was the lead writer for Andromonomonomeda.

It's a team of writers, but I think it was the guy who did Halo 4's story who was the lead writer for Andromonomonomeda.

If that's the situation, then there's no chance of the story being good.

PreOrder Cancelled.

Even if the writers are good the ME3 ending makes good story telling impossible. If the reapers were right about AI how can there be intergalactic travel without rogue AI running rampant through galaxies in general and the new galaxy in particular? On the other hand if the reapers were wrong about AI the ME3 ending is nothing but the equivalent of a scene from SAW.

At best they could have some random one in a googolplex wormhole opening for intergalactic travel and then have some fluke of nature make AI impossible in the new galaxy so they can take a mulligan on dealing with AI. That starts the story off about as well as ME3 (the mcguffin 5 minutes in kinda killed it for me right from the start). Uphill battle from that point.

On another note I hope they incorporate a bunch of science knowledge from what we have been able to ascertain about that Galaxy in real life. Implications for differences between it and the Milky Way.

Wait a second, it's another galaxy! Did they really keep the same species? I was hoping we'd see something different...

The leak has to be a very early version, for example the main character looks completely different now.

It also makes sense to have the existing species appear in the story; for example the starting crew can't have new aliens ;) and other races could be exploring the new galaxy as well.

So I have three Mass Effect games to catch up on. Good job they're pretty cheap now! :yep2:

OIC. Well I'll struggle to get through the base games, let alone DLC!

I'm not even sure it's worth it tbh. :p Andromeda takes place in another galaxy with new characters, and you'd be looking at about 25-35 hours per game if you do everything and listen to the dialogue fully? I forget. First game is rather clunky to get through if you want to do everything (Mako vehicle, planet exploration), not to mention it being an info dump.

2 & 3 have some good DLC that add some neat bits to remember by the end. Things fall apart in the last 5 minutes of the trilogy, so... bwargh. idk. I suppose you might miss out on certain references in Andromeda depending on how far they take in-jokes. If they do things properly, there will be another in-game codex that discusses all the in-universe lore.

I know virtually zero about Mass Effect but I feel like I've missed out on some rare good sci-fi RPG games. And it'll be easier to start with the old and clunky than to revisit the first three having played Andromeda. Just bought ME1 on Steam. I'll dive in this weekend once I'd modded in controller support.

And I'd prefer to dive into Andromeda with a basic understanding the mechanics.

Back