AMD: Speculation, Rumors, and Discussion (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
6 TF Polaris likely wouldn't fit into a console power envelope (for reference, XBO uses 110-120 watts for the entire machine when gaming). It's coming out at the end of 2017. It's more likely to be based on Vega.

For reference, I'm expecting PS4 Neo to fit within a similar power envelope as PS4 (~135-145 watts total when gaming). And that's using a 4.4 TF GPU likely based on Polaris.

Regards,
SB
But that statement seems wrong since you are suggesting that Vega will provide slightly better performance than Polaris but much less power consumption? I think is more plausible to have a customize version of polaris, maybe 40CUs with a excavator mk2(?) cores.

thinking about it would it be viable to make a polaris chip with HBM for ultimate perf/watt? I think that would consume much less than a vega chip but i really have no idea if it is viable to do such a huge change.

The new cards:

Gyxdcf.png

EDIT: RX470 to the left, RX460 to the right.

RX460 is probably Polaris 11 (Pitcairn sucessor) consuming less than 75W, while RX470 with a 6-pin connector is probably a Polaris 10, since it looks like a RX 480 without the reference cooler.

The RX470 will cost less than $199, obviously.

This may put to rest the hypothesis that RX 480 was Polaris 10 "Pro" with disabled CUs. RX 480 is probably the whole thing activated.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest, they would've made a much better impression if RX 460 had a fanless cooler.

But that statement seems wrong since you are suggesting that Vega will provide slightly better performance than Polaris but much less power consumption? I think is more plausible to have a customize version of polaris, maybe 40CUs with a excavator mk2(?) cores.

thinking about it would it be viable to make a polaris chip with HBM for ultimate perf/watt? I think that would consume much less than a vega chip but i really have no idea if it is viable to do such a huge change.

According to AMD's slides, Vega has much higher perf/watt than Polaris.

Regards,
SB

Isn't Vega just polaris with HBM2?

I don't think so. And HBM wouldn't bring enough power savings to bring that large of a bump in perf/watt compared to Polaris.

Just something I did in the console forum since it seemed oddly convenient.

This got me thinking about something. If you wanted to stay in the relative same power envelope as the current console.

• Polaris - ~2.5x perf/watt of base GCN GPU. 2.5 x 1.8 TF is 4.5 TFLOPs, or pretty close to the 4.4 TFLOPs rumored for PS4 Neo
  • Vega - ~4.5x perf/watt of base GCN GPU. 4.5x x 1.3 TF is 5.85 TFLOPs, or pretty close to the 6 TFLOPs for the Xbox Scorpio
XBO (not Slim) consumes significantly less power than PS4 while gaming, so Microsoft probably don't feel bad about potentially raising it's power consumption while gaming a little while Sony might be stay within the same power envelope.

That's going with an estimate on relative positioning on the AMD slide.

Regards,
SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back