Post Xbox One Two Scorpio, what should Sony do next? *spawn* (oh, and Nintendo?)

Personally I don't buy the rumor they will announce the Slim at E3, but won't ship it until August. That's the Osborne-effect isn't it?
Idk, Aug 1st would only be a month and a half, that not really that long esp. if they do a price cut on the og xb1.

The PS3 slim was announced in August for a launch in September, and they announced the price cut for the fat at the same time. The remaining month was enough to deplete the stock of fats (at the same 299).

Can MS reduce the size of the console without a reduction in silicon? Supposedly Sony couldn't with the PS4. So maybe the XB1 Slim has a similar increase in power like the rumored PS4 Neo? MS could be selling their Slim at the same price as a PS4 @ $350 or higher? Usually a price drop means they're clearing out inventory for a replacement, but after some searching I couldn't find where any company announced a price drop prior to E3. Usually it was timed with announcement of a new model at E3.

Personally I don't buy the rumor they will announce the Slim at E3, but won't ship it until August. That's the Osborne-effect isn't it?

Tommy McClain
Unless they are only announcing Xbox TV streaming device(s) at E3 and waiting to announce slim model at Gamescom. That's the event that takes place in August correct?

Also possible that slim model will have 1TB as standard. In which case it probably be $349. Then I think you would still have enough people continuing to buy the original cheaper model over the next couple of months to deplete stocks.

Absolutely, in fact that's what I expect. From the rumors, the slim is going to be roughly the same size as the ps4 so there's little doubt that they could do a slim without a shrink. PS4 on the other hand, likely blew its slim at launch which may be why Neo was in the cards all along.

With the rumored 40% size reduction, I have a hard time believing they get there without reducing the silicon too. Maybe they can reduce the other components, but I would assume the biggest heat producer is the CPU/GPU.

Idk, Aug 1st would only be a month and a half, that not really that long esp. if they do a price cut on the og xb1.

If MS was announcing at E3 in June & releasing in July I would have an easier time swallowing it, but an extra month,? nah I'll be surprised if they don't give all E3 attendees a free XB1 slim & ship it in days.

They've already announced a price drop. Don't see them announcing another at E3. Today's drop was to get it out of the way so people don't expect one at E3.

Tommy McClain

Unless they are only announcing Xbox TV streaming device(s) at E3 and waiting to announce slim model at Gamescom. That's the event that takes place in August correct?

I could see a small chance of that happening. E3 is their home turf though. Would seem a little out of character going to Europe announce the Slim. Unless that's part of their strategy to get back into Europe?

Also possible that slim model will have 1TB as standard. In which case it probably be $349. Then I think you would still have enough people continuing to buy the original cheaper model over the next couple of months to deplete stocks.

Agreed.

Tommy McClain

MS have just recently announced that they're killing off the 360. Which makes sense as now they're dropping the X1 to 360 (with HDD) like prices. The BC capable $300 XBone would render the 360 pointless, and cutting prices now would allow them to clear inventory before a slim arrives.

I think the XBone Slim is going to come in around $300 (if not at launch, then by Xmas) and would render both the 360 and the XBone Phat pointless. Both are superseded by a (hopefully) affordable, slim console.

If the "small interface" DDR3 and "perfectly shrinkable" esram has any benefit left to give MS at this stage in the game, this is likely to be it .... and hopefully the BC mode will boost CPU clocks to make BC better than the original system.

MS have just recently announced that they're killing off the 360. Which makes sense as now they're dropping the X1 to 360 (with HDD) like prices. The BC capable $300 XBone would render the 360 pointless, and cutting prices now would allow them to clear inventory before a slim arrives.

I think the XBone Slim is going to come in around $300 (if not at launch, then by Xmas) and would render both the 360 and the XBone Phat pointless. Both are superseded by a (hopefully) affordable, slim console.

If the "small interface" DDR3 and "perfectly shrinkable" esram has any benefit left to give MS at this stage in the game, this is likely to be it .... and hopefully the BC mode will boost CPU clocks to make BC better than the original system.
With a new Xbox supposedly coming next year the only reason to even release a revised Xbox One model at this point is indeed because of BC. BC gives the console some legs that it may not of otherwise had.

Which is why I am skeptical of Xbox Scorpio having much in the way of BC. I think Microsoft will say here's your $300 Xbox console (xbox one slim) to play Xbox One/360 games and here's your $500 Xbox console (Xbox Scorpio) that plays uwp games (Quantum Break, Gears of War Ultimate, Forza 5...onward)

This is why I think we will see a Gears of War 4 released on PC and Halo 5 ported to PC at some point because they will also be able to run on Xbox Scorpio when it releases.

With a new Xbox supposedly coming next year the only reason to even release a revised Xbox One model at this point is indeed because of BC. BC gives the console some legs that it may not of otherwise had.

Which is why I am skeptical of Xbox Scorpio having much in the way of BC. I think Microsoft will say here's your $300 Xbox console (xbox one slim) to play Xbox One/360 games and here's your $500 Xbox console (Xbox Scorpio) that plays uwp games (Quantum Break, Gears of War Ultimate, Forza 5...onward)

This is why I think we will see a Gears of War 4 released on PC and Halo 5 ported to PC at some point because they will also be able to run on Xbox Scorpio when it releases.

You dont think Microsoft could work software compatability on a 6TF console to play 1.2TF console games that is built on top of virtualization layers?

As for what Sony should do, they should stay the course. There's nothing to be gained in an overt reactionary power race. Considering they were beating the competition before having their plans ironed out, we can assume they have their own views on their hardware's priority beyond simply competing with the other guys.

If they wanted, they could release another box down the line if they so chose.

$299 X1 to clear out stock, prep for new slim model which probably will be here relatively shortly (2-3 months)?

Reality does not work that way. Xbox One was $299 for more than half a year now. They reduced it to $300 as a promotion, and they just never ended it. Stocks won't move any faster than they are now.

Reality does not work that way. Xbox One was $299 for more than half a year now. They reduced it to $300 as a promotion, and they just never ended it. Stocks won't move any faster than they are now.

Ms moved many Xboxes when the price difference was >50$, as soon as PS4 fell in the 350$ price bracket, it didn´t sell so well, the One I mean.

The slim better be cheaper than this, or be really compelling via larger HDD or bundling games, or It won´t make a dent in the current market, less so in continental Europe

If i'm to believe the rumours i think Sony's strategy is much sounder.

They upgraded their console knowing exactly what they were going to need to provide a good experience on the VR platform they have developed. A nice upgrade, but no such a big leap that will make the OG PS4 obsolete from the start, dividing the userbase.

XB1.5 in the other hand is almost a full upgrade. I really don't see how games optimized for the new console are going to even run on the OG Xbox. Also they will be relying on a third party to provide them with a VR headset which will be way more expensive that PSVR.

Ms moved many Xboxes when the price difference was >50$, as soon as PS4 fell in the 350$ price bracket, it didn´t sell so well, the One I mean.

The slim better be cheaper than this, or be really compelling via larger HDD or bundling games, or It won´t make a dent in the current market, less so in continental Europe
Microsoft is generally really smart about aggressive pricing during holiday seasons, including with bundles. And I agree, Microsoft has to give people more reason than Sony to buy their console, first that they are behind, and second that they have not made strong hold outside of North America with Xbone.

They had done much better with X360 at the time when they had very powerful GPU/system and 1 year headstart (and huge price advantage), so they must work much harder this time with Xbone and Scorpio when relatively many more things are equal this generation. When they have more been equal Sony has managed to capitalize much more on their own platform strengths and opponent platform weaknesses, to their credit.

I only wish Microsoft was more creative as they were when original Xbox and X360 released. They continue to be aggressive in marketing and pricing structures, but I think they are not meeting enough requirements on the creative contents part. Maybe they have VR announcements for E3 (Oculus or Vive partnership possibly?).

They upgraded their console knowing exactly what they were going to need to provide a good experience on the VR platform they have developed. A nice upgrade, but no such a big leap that will make the OG PS4 obsolete from the start, dividing the userbase.

XB1.5 in the other hand is almost a full upgrade. I really don't see how games optimized for the new console are going to even run on the OG Xbox. Also they will be relying on a third party to provide them with a VR headset which will be way more expensive that PSVR.

The same way that you can play your games on R7 260/R9 290X or PS4/PS4K. What's the difference?

Also every order of the Rift includes a headset, sensor, remote, cables, Xbox controller, and Lucky’s Tale. They can sell it without this things for 499$ (or even cheaper than that) and yet provide far more better experience than Playstation VR.

I've said it before but why can't you have optimized games for the new and old console ?

Right now I can play a game on a GeForce 1080 and a GeForce 660 and aside from lower performance there is no issue. ON the pc side there are hundreds of different combinations of hardware to factor in.

With xbox there will be 2 a 1.3tflop machine and a 6tflop machine. Setting one with lower textures , lower res , no fsaa and so on wouldn't be very hard to do.

Back