Middle Generation Console Upgrade Discussion [Scorpio, 4Pro]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpg1

Veteran
New info about Xbox hardware:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1223679

"Xbox Nano - will be a streaming device similar to Chromecast and Amazon's Fire TV. Pricing point may be around $100.

Xbox Slim - Slightly bigger. He does not use the name slim, but from what it sounds like that would be the case. *More like the Apple TV with Apps playing an important part for this device*

Xbox 10 TFlop - looks to be in the works, but doubtful to be announced at E3. Instead he is hearing Spring 2017 as a release date. Virtual Reality and 4K Video playback will be a thing. He says this leak comes outside of Microsoft so its no guarantee. *Brad Sams has no idea about the actual Flops of this new hardware*

Xbox Interface coming to PC, and Xbox + PC will be a big theme at E3 as more stuff is coming to PC."

I listened to the podcast and the details around the different devices were confusing. It sounded like he was actually talking about 4 different hardware devices.

- Xbox TV stick (like chromecast)
- Xbox TV box (like apple tv)
- Xbox 1.5
- Xbox next gen

so yeah...

If the Xbox Slim/Tv isn't an Xbox One slim, it's DOA. Why would anyone buy it? For that great MS app ecosystem? And a streaming stick for around $100? really?

If the Xbox Slim/Tv isn't an Xbox One slim, it's DOA. Why would anyone buy it? For that great MS app ecosystem? And a streaming stick for around $100? really?

It could probably play uwp games although he mentioned it was in the $150-$175 range so the hardware probably isn't that powerful. But yeah a streaming stick at around $100 seems absurd....

Neogaf user ekim:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=204622569&postcount=269

"I still *think* he is wrong. Here is my interpretation on everything that was rumored and found (FCC and Anatel stuff):
- the Nano stick thing is probably true
- the Lunchbox sized device IS in fact the Xbox One Slim with full gaming capability
- He confused the Xbox 1.5 with this Xbox One Slim

So 2 new devices this year and the big upgrade next year."

This make more much sense to me.

Although when you think about it a Xbox streaming stick it is probably a little more advanced than a chromecast. I mean it has to stream games and work with a controller with with little lag/latency..all in the form of a small stick.

So a near $100 price tag while expensive may not be so crazy...

Is it possible to release a 8-10 tf Xbox by next year? I see that's the only meaningful way to release it, to be roughly twice as powerful as Neo. Otherwise a 4-5tf one would not entice people to wait since Neo if released by year end would more than likely taken the majority of the market. But by doing that MS is pretty much starting a new gen and that's not good since the Xbox Ultra would be way held back by XBone if they are remotely thinking about backwards compatibility and not alienating 20m+ users.
Looks to me like MS is caught in a rock and a hard place atm.

If they are going for an Xbox 2 next year, I think a CPU upgrade is the most important thing they can go for and a total 16GB of RAM. I think Polaris 10 performance would be sufficient.

I guess I could see the stick being around a $100 if it comes with a controller. I'd be interested in it if it can stream all PC games to a TV better than the steamlink.

Is it possible to release a 8-10 tf Xbox by next year?
If there's any truth to this at all, I think the questions should be: will Microsoft release with 10 teraflop system with Xbox-branding next year. When you put it that way, it looks much more likely. We are talking about a company who paid $2.5 Bn to buy Minecraft.

If there's any truth to this at all, I think the questions should be: will Microsoft release with 10 teraflop system with Xbox-branding next year. When you put it that way, it looks much more likely. We are talking about a company who paid $2.5 Bn to buy Minecraft.
Well sure they can, but will that 10tf machine be fully taken advantage of without currentgen compatibility?
Looks like I'm buying Scorpio either way since it is my star sign after all:).

Is it possible to release a 8-10 tf Xbox by next year? I see that's the only meaningful way to release it, to be roughly twice as powerful as Neo. Otherwise a 4-5tf one would not entice people to wait since Neo if released by year end would more than likely taken the majority of the market. But by doing that MS is pretty much starting a new gen and that's not good since the Xbox Ultra would be way held back by XBone if they are remotely thinking about backwards compatibility and not alienating 20m+ users.
Looks to me like MS is caught in a rock and a hard place atm.
Is possible if they go back to PS3/360 gen power envelope (around 220 watts).The question is, if Sony knows this now, what are they doing?. Going on with the 4,3 Tflops Neo or going also Vega APU?.Could they even break the already signed APU contract and buy a more powerful one?.
Being the leader now with PS4 and launch a half powered machine compared to the rumored Scorpio is a strategical failure IMO.I dont see the business sense when a twice as powerful console is around the corner.However if you launch a similar powered console to the new one from MS you are nullifying it in someway.

Perhaps an arms race is AMD's way of enticing everyone to go for Navi, which purportedly aims for multichip scalability. Sony and Microsoft could watch each other's announcements and add another blade GPU to keep things in line.

Project Helix- Xbox App running on PC?

I think we'll see the windows store and xbox one store as they are now. It's just that games will be single platform (uwp) from the start.

It does sound like the Xbox UI will be coming to Windows at some point though. Will probably be called "TV Mode" or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back