Accurate human rendering in game [2014-2016]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd hope something like PS5 will be able to render a lot more than what we basically get today in realtime. Talk about diminishing returns!
Call me crazy but if UC5 on PS5 has gameplay lighting the same as UC4's cutscene lighting and shading then I'll be more than happy:), to me they look almost real, just look at that Elena render. But of course I'm sure PS5 tech would advance in other areas too.

I dont think gpu horsepower is the biggest challenge keeping gameplay from having lighting as good as cutscenes. Its know-how. Cutscene lighting uses age old photography and composition best practices. There is really not much knowledge when it comes to doing the same things in unpredictable interactive scenes. Think about it. You have to create a system capable of dynamically making tastefull artistical choices in creating an manipulating virtual lights around the scene in a manner that looks visually convincing and matches the game's art style while evoking the emotions that game wants it to, and then have it be able to adapt to unpredictable player driven camera changes and objects moving around the scene, while keeping the lighting good, without it being obvious that changes are happening to it. How the hell do you do that? There's a lot to be learned in that field, and up to now, most devs have just dodged this problem.

Maybe they can use that screen space subsurface during gameplay for closeups with the neo, but i doubt they'd go into so much trouble just for a patch (maybe Sony will ask ND to make it a showcase for the neo, who knows)

uncharted4_athiefsendgjl0w.jpg

If not U4 then maybe their next game.

I think SS subsurface is there during gameplay too. At least, thats my assumption based on how skin still looks pinkish on one of those special filters unlocked after beating the game where chatacter's diffuse becomes completely white.

Maybe they can use that screen space subsurface during gameplay for closeups with the neo, but i doubt they'd go into so much trouble just for a patch (maybe Sony will ask ND to make it a showcase for the neo, who knows)
uncharted4_athiefsendgjl0w.jpg
If not U4 then maybe their next game.
color me impressed, next gen wow this will be standard (though we wont have gens but half gens) but next gen...

When the stars are aligned during gameplay you can get something pretty close to the cutscene indeed, which is damn incredible already. But I get the issue with having some artistically placed lights around the character all the time, which could be complicated. But what if you do a proximity in the scene, say if character moves close to a predefined proximity that requires extra lighting, then the engine turns on the needed spot light or whatever. As you move away from the proximity the engine turns it off. I guess in a game like UC4, make the proximity around lamps, major light sources, torches and etc. Cutscene quality shading might be too expensive so just make do with gameplay presets. If the console can handle the extra lights that is.
Hope I'm making some sense here:).

I wonder how taxing would it be for uncharted 4 to have a sss implementation like Advanced Warfare one for gameplay 100% of the time, it's 1080p 60fps on ps4. I'm not saying it's perfect, but it is consistent throughout the whole game.
EmNK8b.png

RSd3F5.png

bTXMCm.png

EPbVg9.png

Really breaks the immersion of having an amazing detailed character model look like this sometimes.
mZmQyY.png

AvCHDZ.png

Late game spoilers, do not click unless you've beaten the game... or don't care :)
I'm warning you!
qqqHMu.png

09HAOx.png

B5goqd.png

For comparisons sake
gLISr6.jpg

OCa42Z.png

I don't think any game comes close to these three shots in regards to character models except SC. Absolutely stunning.
Uh one of them isn't even from UC4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back