PS4 Pro Speculation (PS4K NEO Kaio-Ken-Kutaragi-Kaz Neo-san)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the move that'd generate most annoyance among existing users, especially those who buy a PS4 just before the new one comes out. Would that affect the brand/momentum in a bad way? Probably not. i guess it'd attract many more buyers (perceived much better value) than casualties.

Well if we are being honest you'd be an idiot to buy a PS4 in the next 4 months or so...unless you simply don't give a shit about better specs..

So four months of no PS4 birthday presents etc.? Is the plan for Neo to be equivalent to a new console launch, with pent up demand and massive launch sales? What if it turns out Neo is a high end console at a high-end price and many would be happy owning the cheaper PS4 now than waiting to hear Neo is going to be pricey for them?

Reactions: Jwm
If they really come out with it before the end of the year for $400, it'll really appeal to people who are as interested in UHD Blu Ray as gaming. Presumably it'll have 4K streaming clients like Netflix too.

So I'm supposed to not get a PS4 to play UC4 et al for another 4 months?

Here's the thing: I'm not going to buy Uncharted 4 until I know exactly what this Neo thing is and what it'll do to with Uncharted 4.
Some games I'm confident won't get the "Neo" treatment. For example, games that are remasters themselves (Last of Us, Beyond: Two Souls, Heavy Rain, God of War 3, Uncharted Collection, etc.), or games that are too old to revisit like GTA V, Assassin's Creed IV, or games that weren't a commercial success like Order 1886.

But Uncharted IV? That thing is bound to be a poster boy for what the Neo can do over the regular old, uninteresting, outdated and outperformed PS4.
I want to know what that is before paying 60€ for a game.

Don't all 4K TVs come with Netflix capable of 4K streaming? That's what I thought.

They do but so did all the 1080p TVs and yet people used consoles and other set top boxes for Netflix.

Usually, the apps. integrated into TVs are running on weaker processors so supposedly it's not a great experience.

Plus, Samsung and Vizio TVs spy on you if you connect them to the Internet.

I want 4K Remasters of the Remasters of the Remasters. It's the only way to play the original PS2 or PS3 games in style in this day and age.

Very true. When you sell an ecosystem (like a console) at bargain basement prices you're going to attract bargain basement owners. No disrespect to those on a tight budget but if you're not buying games from the console's online store or new games from retail then you're not making the console owner any money unless you subscribe to Live or PSN. Just look at the per-capita spend of the iOS and Android ecosystems, it's way skewed in favour of Apple. It's not an economic model that is isolated to phones or mobile operating systems, any ecosystem that is predicated on profit over the life of a product through content sales is going to face this problem - ignoring Apple's 30%+ margins on hardware which consoles don't have.

True, but if Sony sells another 30-50 million consoles at a bargain basement price and even if those consumers end with a 1:1 software attach ratio, then that's still 30-50 million units of software that Sony takes its cut from. The reality will probably be better than that since the average price conscious consumer will likely still pick up more than one game over the lifetime of console ownership, and that's even ignoring PSN subs, DLC and media consumption through the online platform.

There's definitely still money to be made from the price conscious consumer, so why settle for only the core when you can have both and make bank?

I don't know why it is stupid to buy a PS4 over Neo if the PS4 is actually cheaper...
The key thing is obviously Sony to launch Neo at $400 (or more! like $450) and guarantee that all future games for PS4 series (including Neo) will be playable on PS4. I prefer for Sony to at least keep a $100 gap from PS4 to Neo, because with $50 gap it is too small and I think it will cause significant drop in PS4 sales until Neo is released. Probably the best for consumer (without thinking of Sony profitability too much) is to launch Neo at $400 and at the same time announce a price drop for regular PS4 to $300.

So I'm supposed to not get a PS4 to play UC4 et al for another 4 months?

It seems true though - normally the regular model would get a pice cut so then you win by waiting either way. However, say you would buy a bundle with Uncharted now and after 4-6 months sell it again to buy the Neo, then you would have rented a PS4 for that time for the price difference minus Uncharted. For me, I'd have had no real problems with that.

I just cannot believe Shifty still doesn't have a PS4! What does he have, a life?? Unacceptable.

If I still didn't have one, I'd definitely wait. Maybe it's just rumours, but there's just too many rumours. E3 is less than month away.

@Shifty Geezer, you waited almost 3 years to get it, I'm sure you can wait until Christmas again.

If I were Sony, I'd drop the price of the PS4 right when they announce Neo, and by a lot. It's the only way to guarantee people will actually still buy the PS4 in the coming months before Neo is released. Take the loss (if any) now for a few months, and get Neo out.

It seems true though - normally the regular model would get a pice cut so then you win by waiting either way. However, say you would buy a bundle with Uncharted now and after 4-6 months sell it again to buy the Neo, then you would have rented a PS4 for that time for the price difference minus Uncharted. For me, I'd have had no real problems with that.
That's fine in theory, but I'm a lazy arse bum when it comes to putting stuff on eBay and just keep junk around forever. :p

I just cannot believe Shifty still doesn't have a PS4! What does he have, a life??
Sadly not. Work. Writing software hoping to make enough money to have a life. ;)

@Shifty Geezer, you waited almost 3 years to get it, I'm sure you can wait until Christmas again.
It's mostly hypothetical at this point, presenting the difficult position Sony and consumers are in. Still, a friend I play a lot of coop with is getting his PS4 soon for UC4, and it'd be nice to play coop online as we haven't done in years. But I really don't have a lot of time for gaming. I develop best in an evening when everyone else is having fun.

However, until I play UC4, half the board is off limits to me because images of Nathan Drake are flippin' everywhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back