Nvidia Pascal Announcement

Possibly, but all of this is coming from my original question that pertained to a single pass rendering for multiple displays; whether that is both left+right lens, 3 displays,etc.
Nothing stopped you - even with the Maxwell implementation - to output the render targets to different screens. Left & Right lens is only 1 display, but even that wouldn't matter.

It's just that no software I'm aware of ever used the option correct the view plane for additional monitors, and it's not like it's magically going to work out of the box for upcoming titles either.

Nothing stopped you - even with the Maxwell implementation - to output the render targets to different screens. Left & Right lens is only 1 display, but even that wouldn't matter.

It's just that no software I'm aware of ever used the option correct the view plane for additional monitors, and it's not like it's magically going to work out of the box for upcoming titles either.
Agreed, but the support is there within Pascal... According to the presentation.
Ext3h, I mentioned output the render targets to different screens in a single pass, not that it cannot be done another way.
According to the presentation at 1h 4mins Left and Right are 2 displays because they are not identical due to depth perception.
Cheers

Citation needed!

99% sure he said no such thing.
Here you go: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/04/amd-polaris-will-be-a-mainstream-gpu/
"The reason Polaris is a big deal, is because I believe we will be able to grow that TAM [total addressable market] significantly," said Taylor. "I don't think Nvidia is going to do anything to increase the TAM, because according to everything we've seen around Pascal, it's a high-end part. I don't know what the price is gonna be ......"
Take it whatever way you want, some may argue he was only talking about price, while others including myself is that AMD identified the initial Pascal to be a high-end consumer focused product.

Early in the show the slide showed some 5-10% better efficiency than Maxwell depending on consumption

That was just about how efficiently they can deliver DC power to the core and not how efficient the core/card itself is... The card consumes about the same power as 980, but is 60-75 faster according to nVidia, that is where you want to calculate the efficiency. The cards inner power delivery is just a small part of the total effiency gains, node change being the largest.

So wait, what exactly is the difference between 'Founders' and regular versions? Other than the price of course,

So Roy didn't say what you quoted him as saying in your other post. Got it.
Sigh.
I said:
Roy recently said that their Polaris cards are not comparable to the 1070 and 1080 because those are high end.....
Make of that what you will.
Cheers

Rory Said:
said Taylor. "I don't think Nvidia is going to do anything to increase the TAM, because according to everything we've seen around Pascal, it's a high-end part.

Should I sigh some more?
Some who are defensive will say he meant price, well sorry the whole article from those who interviewed him mention mainstream for Polaris. in fact their title has Mainstream in it.
Most will see it to mean Polaris is mainstream focused while Pascal in High end, just like he said...
Nothing was out of context apart from your post.
Cheers

Last edited:
So wait, what exactly is the difference between 'Founders' and regular versions? Other than the price of course,
Availability. "Founders" edition is available at some point in June, but only in limited numbers, a couple thousands at most. The regular version will be available to buy once GDDR5X production has reached target capacity, until then you might consider yourself a beta-tester for the hardware.

That was just about how efficiently they can deliver DC power to the core and not how efficient the core/card itself is... The card consumes about the same power as 980, but is 60-75 faster according to nVidia, that is where you want to calculate the efficiency. The cards inner power delivery is just a small part of the total effiency gains, node change being the largest.
Yeah,
that is pretty impressive and nice to see them talk about it from an engineering perspective.
Cheers

Availability. "Founders" edition is available at some point in June, but only in limited numbers, a couple thousands at most. The regular version will be available to buy once GDDR5X production has reached target capacity, until then you might consider yourself a beta-tester for the hardware.
I think it is more complicated than that due to what I linked earlier:
Well this surprised me, already the AIB are starting to announce their 1080s (albeit the reference design).
http://videocardz.com/59674/zotac-releases-its-geforce-gtx-1080
https://www.zotac.com/gb/product/graphics_card/geforce-gtx-1080
Cheers

That is also coming out end of May.
So is the FE just the reference design that AIBs can do like in the past, or is it more specific.
Cheers

Sigh.
I said:

Rory Said:

Should I sigh some more?
Some who are defensive will say he meant price, well sorry the whole article from those who interviewed him mention mainstream for Polaris. in fact their title has Mainstream in it.
Most will see it to mean Polaris is mainstream focused while Pascal in High end, just like he said...
Nothing was out of context apart from you post.
Cheers

*Sigh*
So he mentioned specific Nvidia model names?
Kaotik was spot on with his post... Don't be so quick to dismiss it.

*Sigh*
So he mentioned specific Nvidia model names?
Kaotik was spot on with his post... Don't be so quick to dismiss it.
What are you going on about?
He mentions Pascal and Polaris.
Polaris is mentioned to be within Mainstream, Pascal within High End...
What is so complicated?
Specific models may not be mentioned, but the context was initial release because the GP106 IS mainstream and coming out in the near future (who know 2-4 months from now).
If he felt Polaris also covered high end, he would not had made the statement about Pascal being a different target audience and that of High End....
Therefore it is not difficult to see he is talking about 1070 and 1080 and Polaris 10.
Cheers

Maxwell Multi-viewport rendering *does not* allow to render from different points of view. A viewport transformation is a 2D transformation with scale and translation, it can't be used to render the left and the right eye at the same time. Multi-viewport rendering is orthogonal to single pass stereo rendering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well anycase looks to me nV hit 2.5 times perf/watt Pascal over Maxwell 2..... and actually might be a bit more.

I'm not seeing that... ~60% more performance over GTX980 for 15w higher power consumption using Nvidia's Maxwell magical TDP numbers.
~20-30% more performance over GTX980Ti for 70w less, though again it is hard to compare using their made up numbers.

well anycase looks to me nV hit 2.5 times perf/watt Pascal over Maxwell 2..... and actually might be a bit more.
They may also present it in VR form that will skew it a fair bit.
With the Mech VR demo the 1080 seriously outperforms the TitanX.....
nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-performance-and-efficiency.png

Cheers

Back