Doom (2016) Engine Comparison *spawn*

Ike Turner

Veteran
Technically idTech6 is what Halo 5's engine should have been (but 343 doesn't seem to have the equivalent tech masters that Tiago Sousa and the other ex-Crytek refugees that id hired..). Both games are close aesthetically and in terms of rendering tech (Dynamic res, locked 60fps, PBR, SSR etch) but DOOM trounces Halo in terms of LOD, AO, quality of SS effects ands AA.

Technically idTech6 is what Halo 5's engine should have been (but 343 doesn't seem to have the equivalent tech masters that Tiago Sousa and the other ex-Crytek refugees that id hired..).

Not sure if serious...?

Try comparing the sizes of the levels, the scale of the open spaces, the number of enemies, all the action going on, not to mention vehicles and 3 other AI driven companions to what Doom is trying to do. They are kinda not similar.

Not sure if serious...?

Try comparing the sizes of the levels, the scale of the open spaces, the number of enemies, all the action going on, not to mention vehicles and 3 other AI driven companions to what Doom is trying to do. They are kinda not similar.
Yes I'm serious.
Let's compare apples to apples and what I have played which is MP; Besides WarZone (where IQ/resolution is the worst btw..)their MP modes are mostly identical in terms of scale and features. In this case Doom is is clearly ahead in terms of IQ, LOD and FX.

If you want to compare identical SP gameplay I suggest you replay Mission 2: Blue Team. Indoors, Space Station, relatively same scale with some verticality, less enemies on screen than what we are seeing in Doom, not a single real-time reflections (SSR,Bilboard,planar or whatever else), horrendous shadow LOD that literal pops in & out of existence 2 meters in front of the player... but yeah you have 3 teammates with dodgy AI...
the fact that the same game (Halo 5) features the vastly more impressive Sanghelios levels is mind boggling..

Last edited:
The speed of movement in Halo with respect to environment vs doom is quite large. The two engine requirements are not equivalent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are vehicles inDoom?
What the he... I am comparing identical MP modes (I clearly singled out Warzone in my post) and relatively identical SP levels. As a matter of fact you/we don't known if Doom has vehicles either. More importantly...vehicules sections in Halo are the worst looking ones in terms of IQ (Mission 3: Glassed) and MP with Warzone.

What the he... I am comparing identical MP modes (I clearly singled out Warzone in my post) and relatively identical SP levels. As a matter of fact you/we don't known if Doom has vehicles either. More importantly...vehicules sections in Halo are the worst looking one in terms of IQ (Mission 3: Glassed) and MP with Warzone.
But the engine still needs to support all of that. Flying vehicles, warthogs, mongooses, plethora of different types of vehicles. Different skins for armour. Different weapon skins. Maps are designed to be both vertical with ground and pound moves. Etc. Even if they aren't used the game is made with those and anyone with a level creator can bring them into play.

I don't think you can really compare like this. Pretty positive you can't.

But the engine still needs to support all of that. Flying vehicles, warthogs, mongooses, plethora of different types of vehicles. Different skins for armour. Different weapon skins. Maps are designed to be both vertical with ground and pound moves. Etc. Even if they aren't used the game is made with those and anyone with a level creator can bring them into play.

I don't think you can really compare like this. Pretty positive you can't.
:rolleyes:
I'm pretty positive I can. But maybe you should at the very least bring up some screenshots/videos that can show us how something is better/different than another... because posting stuff like this "Different weapon skins. Maps are designed to be both vertical with ground and pound moves." is :runaway::confused:o_O

I'm pretty positive I can. But maybe you should at the very least bring up some screenshots/videos that can show us how something is better/different than another... because posting stuff like this "Different weapon skins. Maps are designed to be both vertical with ground and pound moves." is :runaway::confused:o_O
Don't take it personally. It should have been written as pretty positive "it's not a direct apples to apples comparison, we could do it your way but it's not properly framing the comparison.

The issue is that you are asking for screen shots and videos to provide arbitrary numbers on what a game engine can and cannot achieve. And frankly that doesn't work.

I can tell you from my own experience in technical tests with AAA companies that engine guys have strict budgets on how things run, maximum speeds players can have. The size of levels and the numbers of triangles that can be streamed in any second; list goes on, but they write out these limitations well in advance.

That's just triangles, there are these sorts of budgets and limitations they set out everywhere with textures and everything. And whenever the budget is broken the game doesn't reach its performance mark.

I can say confidently because unless we can provide empirically that Dooms engine supports more of everything without any trade offs (hence better) over Halos engine, it is just a mere shuffling of a limited set of resources (which in this case is Xbox One).

Oh you can, but it wouldn't be useful. It is clear that Halo 5 engine was designed for more open environments, with a higher number of enemies at the same time, + coop, + Vehicles. So if all of the assets, lighting, textures, AI, shadow resolution, etc. in Halo 5 were designed for that type of scenario, it wouldn't do any good just to take a video of Halo 5 in a closed environment and compare it to another video of Doom in a closed environment. All of Halo 5 elements wont dynamically improve to take advantage of the scene with lower requirements. This is not a problem for Doom, as it doesn't have the same type of requirements that Halo 5 has, so all of its elements can be designed for scenes of a smaller scale.

Last edited:
Back