PS4 Pro Speculation (PS4K NEO Kaio-Ken-Kutaragi-Kaz Neo-san)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jaguar wasn't designed for super high clock speed. If they're able to get 2,1 Ghz out of a shrink then I'll take it. I do wonder if it would be of benefit if they beefed up the AVX support in the CPU. Are there cases where beefier FPU on the CPU side would be a better choice than GPU compute?

A die shrink is still a die shrink, all the "benefits" of die shrinks still apply.

There's also perhaps more refined (revisions which co-exist with older like in PC) elements...lower wattage...less leakage (within limitations) polished fabrication.

Already the PC presentation of unknown Polaris engineering sample was consumingsignificantly less and running cooler than the rival part. That's die shrink sauce.

In theory any CPU could die shrink if the company is intending for it and reach whatever diminishing returns while keeping same or less wattage/thermals and anything from CellBE, Itanium (current), Phenom II X4 and X6, Intel Pentium 4, Conroe, etc

And within physical limitations reach a clock speed that could cause significant scaling unknown before because it wasn't obsoleted.

I never believe that "it wasn't built for higher clocks"... it always was...and as long as it's tested and evaluated...it's desirable.

However architecture revisions can also boost thruput.

1 AMD has an architecture better suited for DX12
2 AMD cards with less theoretical FLOPS perform better than NVIDIA cards in DX12
3 console uses AMD architecture
4 current and future console videogame development has more in common with DX12 than the old NVIDIA optimised engines

5 "but NVIDIA can't write drivers!! Once they learn how to, NVIDIA will beat AMD at DX12"
6 no games use DX12

7 PS4.5 will have +4 TFLOP of AMD DX12 architecture

8 PC fans want to believe +4 TFLOP AMD will not match a 970 card at DX12

9 this is no console war, it's ONLY about AMD having DX12 level architecture

Are you arguing why AMD is better than Nvidia for consoles?

AMD got the contracts...that's it...it's not a case of who is better...there's a package deal going on. Remember AMD bought ATI and absorbed it. They haven't been perfect.

In fact going off topic and against the corporate brass decisions. AMD should have die shrunk both their Phenom II X4 and X6 CPUs to 32nm (down from 45nm)

Sold a ton of those, lowered wattage, raised/balanced clocks to 4.8Ghz while also offering their APUs and Opteron variants then on a mature 32nm process node (ignoring the usual excuses) made their Octa-cores and then shrink them to 28nm or whatever the CPU node (rinse repeat improvements) was so they would have avoided losing PC CPU market share.

Then they would've had a smoother transition to Zen instead of four years of no discreet CPUs.

There's some PS4 pdfs by devs (based on pre-unlocked 7th core) about the challenges and goals of reaching 30/60fps on consoles.

Meanwhile Digital Foundry has some PC gaming based video benchmarks (based on comparison architectures, ram type and overclocking) to show what type of increases happen on recent games like Witcher 3, Assassins creed, Crysis 3, Battlefront, etc where there's 5~10~20+ FPS gains on the same graphics card GPU. Only to be taken as a grain of salt however.

On consoles the CPU boost and 7th core unlocked may mean a possible standard and stable 60fps on 1080p...on 4K or a theoretical 4K PS4.5 native optimized engine it is unknown because engine/design, dev goals.

My only random morning mid tea thought is assuming the OS stays the same as it's a ps4 there may be headroom on core 8 to share in neo mode, similar to the Microsoft implementation where a percent of the CPU time is offered.

Out of curiosity guys/gals, hopefully without detailing the thread, what's you opinion about PsNeo.
Do you welcome this mid-gen upgrade?
Do you think it's healthy for Sony, or the industry to go down this path?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=199646466&postcount=1
Price is currently $399.99 they were discussing a better CPU which would raise the price to $499.99 we were guaranteed the price will be no higher than $499.99 (He mentioned the CPU upgrade quite a bit almost as if they haven't really decided on a final spec could be a pricing issue.)
Had this rumor been shot down already or is it still alive? Is there any indication of what exact version the leaked spec document is and when it was issued in the timeline leading to now?

I don't welcome it and no phone cycle comparison is going to change my stance. There's still tapped performance in the consoles (See Sebbbi's 8X MSAA trick (reducing significantly bandwidth requirements) and GPU driven pipelines, removing up to 40% CPU time based on whatever your game is doing.) Of course these tricks will work in the new NEO but there will be less incentive to move forward and adapt to these, because brute-force yeah.

I don't welcome it and no phone cycle comparison is going to change my stance. There's still tapped performance in the consoles (See Sebbbi's 8X MSAA trick (reducing significantly bandwidth requirements) and GPU driven pipelines, removing up to 40% CPU time based on whatever your game is doing.) Of course these tricks will work in the new NEO but there will be less incentive to move forward and adapt to these, because brute-force yeah.

Same thing and it gives me reason to quit console gaming.

Out of curiosity guys/gals, hopefully without detailing the thread, what's you opinion about PsNeo.
Do you welcome this mid-gen upgrade?
Do you think it's healthy for Sony, or the industry to go down this path?
Do I welcome an €500 upgrade to my PS4 that gives a slight boost that's way less than an equivalent €500 component upgrade would be for my PC? - No.
Would I be OK if it was a €200 add-on thing for my existing PS4 that would give this slight boost? - Yes
Do I think it's healthy for Sony and console industry? - Yes, for Sony it must be a quite cost efficient upgrade, much less design and research than a genuine generation leap which they can still sell at a premium. For industry competition is always good. For people who need a new console it is also good.
For me it is no good - I don't have the money for PSVR, PS4K and also new iPhone that I need to replace my old iP5. One of those needs to be put on hold :)

I never believe that "it wasn't built for higher clocks"... it always was...and as long as it's tested and evaluated...it's desirable.

Jaguar was never intended as a high frequency part because it was never supposed to be a high wattage part. It's quite possible it won't go much higher than 2.1GHz without lengthening the pipeline. Sony aren't going to go messing with the cores now.

I'm only arguing that current and near future AMD is better for DX12 development, and that
Do I welcome an €500 upgrade to my PS4 that gives a slight boost that's way less than an equivalent €500 component upgrade would be for my PC? - No.
Would I be OK if it was a €200 add-on thing for my existing PS4 that would give this slight boost? - Yes

€50 more and you are set with your add-on; sell your old PS4 for €250, add €250 and you have the €500 euro PS4K

Personally I would extract all messages, notes, photos, to your pc; factory restore the iPhone 5, and enjoy a 'new', fast iPhone 5 which lasts 2 days on a charge :)

Last edited:

Same thing and it gives me reason to quit console gaming.

They are bothering right now with XBO and the potential market is ~double that...so it's worth the effort IMO.

yeah, like @Egmon83 says, sell the old PS4 to fund the new one - it's financially no different but a much better end product.(I had to bold the slight tho - this is a nice boost)

Yeah, guess that would be one way to fund a PS4K. I just rather give my old stuff away to friends and relatives if they have use for it :)
My iPhone 5 is still surprisingly fast, much faster than my previous iPhone3GS was after 4 years of use, and I haven't done a factory reset since updating to iOS7! The battery life is already starting to show it's age, especially as I stream music during the work days, but it's still manageable :)
Also, it's true that I didn't really notice how slow my iP3GS was until I replaced it with the´5...

Which kind of brings the discussion back on track... would I still be completely satisfied with PS4 as long as I had not become used to the faster and prettier PS4K :)

Last edited:
This is true (partially*), but its probably a necessary evil for the same reason no exciting custom hardware features in consoles any more. The economics of fancy hardware aren't there (both financial and developer time). Even without mid-gen cycles, forwards and backwards compatilbity means fatter APIs and all that, and FC is necessary for a sane ecosystem and not being completely outcompeted. So these changes are going to happen, and then there'll be changes around them like Metal and DX12 that mean the issues aren't so bad. The rate of software progress will likely slow, but the rate of hardware progress will improve (shorter upgrade waits), so gamers still generally win. Or putting it another way, is it really a better experience to have someone invent an awesome technique that enables their end-of-life 20 fps game to reach 24 fps over having better hardware for that game that runs it at 60 fps with the traditional techniques? From an intellectual POV, the clever software solutions are far more exciting, but from an experience POV the better game experience is more worthwhile.

* partially, because there'll still be progress to improve what the console can do. We're still talking closed boxes and with a large install base of older machines where your software is competing with everyone else's. If COD manages 30 fps on PS4 and a new MOH plays just as well but at 60 fps using better tech (and higher res, better quality on Neo), MOH could steal COD players. So competition is still going to be a mother of invention even if necessity isn't.

Yeah, guess that would be one way to fund a PS4K. I just rather give my old stuff away to friends and relatives if they have use for it :)
My iPhone 5 is still surprisingly fast, much faster than my previous iPhone3GS was after 4 years of use, and I haven't done a factory reset since updating to iOS7! The battery life is already starting to show it's age, especially as I stream music during the work days, but it's still manageable :)
Also, it's true that I didn't really notice how slow my iP3GS was until I replaced it with the´5...

Which kind of brings the discussion back on track... would I still be completely satisfied with PS4 as long as I had not become used to the faster and prettier PS4K :)

well this is the thing, you don't have to upgrade...it's an option for those who want to, much like a PC upgrade...or even cars where you can get more options (bigger engine, air con, elec windows etc) the more you pay or just stick with the cheapest but both will be you from a to b, just the more expensive will be a better journey. BTW, this wasn't aimed at anyone just a 'royal you'...as in 'anyone'!

SUPER OFFTOPIC, but when I was preparing to win my 20th Anniversary PS4, I used my iPhone4 (my Passport has a 1:1 screen ratio and could not use the contest website), I factory restored it to have maximum performance. I compared it to my cousins' iPhone 5 (which used a backup he has since his 2008 iPhone 3G! :p) And the iPhone 4 actually was much faster! I had both in my hands and pressing the home button the 4 would wake up faster, opening safari was faster also, less time before the keyboard showed up when clicking the URL field, and when the home button was pressed, the 4 returned faster to the home screen. Of course my 4 did not have any apps yet. He thought it was too much work and he was going to buy a 6 in 2015.. (he didn't)
We reset my cousins' iPhone 5 2 weeks ago because he was always asking to charge his iPhone when he was at my house. I said: "we will install a new battery but first we need to factory restore to see if the battery is really the problem" we still setup whatsapp, his email accounts, calendars and everything he needed. After that, his iPhone, his iPhone did not drop 30% battery overnight, but only 2% ! We didn't buy a new battery :) True story.

For now: if you disable "refresh apps in the background", you will still get notifications but you will also get a 40% battery boost, I promise.

well this is the thing, you don't have to upgrade...it's an option for those who want to, much like a PC upgrade...or even cars where you can get more options (bigger engine, air con, elec windows etc) the more you pay or just stick with the cheapest but both will be you from a to b, just the more expensive will be a better journey. BTW, this wasn't aimed at anyone just a 'royal you'...as in 'anyone'!
Yes, I know one doesn't have to, but want leads to need, need leads to lust, lust leads to an uncontrolled urge to spend spend spend!
And that leads to suffering :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back