PS4 Pro Speculation (PS4K NEO Kaio-Ken-Kutaragi-Kaz Neo-san)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also doing some quick math that would put gpu at almost 4.2Tflops. Not bad...

They would have to be using delta color compression for this part if those specs are correct, right? 2x the gpu processing power without a corresponding increase in memory bandwidth doesn't seem to make sense. Also, holy hell would this be Sony giving the notion of cpu/gpu balance two giant middle fingers.

The only way I see this making sense is if
Its only for playing PSVR stuff at better res/framerate

If it also plays normal PS4 games at better res/framerate than the existing PS4 then those owners will feel (rightly) pissed off

I don't. As long as I can play the games why should I care that some people can play them better?

They would have to be using delta color compression for this part if those specs are correct, right? 2x the gpu processing power without a corresponding increase in memory bandwidth doesn't seem to make sense. Also, holy hell would this be Sony giving the notion of cpu/gpu balance two giant middle fingers.

Well according to this the memory bandwidth is now rated at 218GB/s as opposed to 176GB/s. Which is about 20% increase. Article also says something about developers being able to have access to an additional 512MB of the the memory budget on the new console (which would what.. bring it up to 6GB out of the 8GB now?)

Well according to this the memory bandwidth is now rated at 218GB/s as opposed to 176GB/s. Which is about 20% increase. Article also says something about developers being able to have access to an additional 512MB of the the memory budget on the new console (which would what.. bring it up to 6GB out of the 8GB now?)

Desktop cards in this performance class (Radeon 7970 Ghz edition, 280X) were paired with 288GB/s of memory bandwidth before delta color compression was introduced with Tonga. And that was without having to share with the CPU.

The Jag cores in 4Bone have really gimped memory bandwidth tho - there's not a whole lot allotted to them in the best of times IIRC (can't remember any specific figures tho), and with CPUs tending to run mostly out of their caches oftentimes, how bad is contention on these consoles, really?

As long as I can play the games why should I care that some people can play them better?
Even if it means the existing ps4 guys now get games running at 15fps? (that run 30fps on the ps4k or 720p vs 1080p)
Think back 2 years ago when you had the ps3/ps4 crossover. What did you see on the forums as complaints, oh these crossgen games holding back the ps4 version, remember that.
The same thing will happen here by coding for both, the better platform will not get taken advantage of fully, or the reverse they'll go Oh the ps4k runs the game great at 30fps (ps4 owners should upgrade if they want a better framerate)

Unlike phones where a better version comes out each year, with consoles the buyer has the expectation to 'be set' for the rest of the generation

If it also plays normal PS4 games at better res/framerate than the existing PS4 then those owners will feel (rightly) pissed off

I don't understand this line of thinking? :confused:

If the PS4-NEO didn't exists, PS4 games are still bound by the system spec's. If the game in question can't do 1080p/60fps ...then it just can't! Can't blame the PS4-Neo for older PS4 hardware limitations...

I still fail to see ANY point in such a device, and how could it successfully work out. It feels like the people "getting it" are the ones without slightest idea.

The Jag cores in 4Bone have really gimped memory bandwidth tho - there's not a whole lot allotted to them in the best of times IIRC (can't remember any specific figures tho), and with CPUs tending to run mostly out of their caches oftentimes, how bad is contention on these consoles, really?

I know the bandwidth needs of the CPU are much smaller. They are not zero, though.

Even if they *were* zero, though, it doesn't really matter. Minus some form of compression this system has much less bandwidth than you would expect for the number of stream processors.

Also, 36 (PS4K CUs) / 28 (Radeon 285 CUs) * 911 Mhz (PS4K GPU clock) / 918 Mhz (285 clock) * 176 GB/s (285 bandwidth) = ~225 GB/s bandwidth if you wanted the PS4Ks compute to bandwidth ratio to match Tonga's (which implemented compression). It's in the ballpark. Maybe unified memory (and the lack of need to stream in and out of main memory) makes up the difference?

The only downside of this is that it sounds like the current PS4 catalogue will not automatically take advantage of the new system and developers will have to go back and optimize/patch the games if they are to run better. Probably wouldn't require a whole lot of work but still...the befefits of buying this thing are basically games released late 2016 and on.

Rumored PS4K (Codename: NEO) specs: 8 Jaguar Cores at 2.1 GHz; Improved AMD GCN, 36 CUs at 911 MHz; 8 GB GDDR5, 218 GB/s

Starting in October, every PS4 game is required to ship with both a “Base Mode” which will run on the currently available PS4 and a “NEO Mode” for use on the new console. Games running in NEO mode will be able to use the hardware upgrades (and an additional 512 MiB in the memory budget) to offer increased and more stable frame rate and higher visual fidelity, at least when those games run at 1080p on HDTVs. The NEO will also support 4K image output, but games themselves are not required to be 4K native.

Throughout the documents, Sony repeatedly reminds developers that the frame rate of games in NEO Mode must meet or exceed the frame rate of the game on the original PS4 system.

...there will be no NEO-only games, and Sony will not let developers separate NEO users from original PS4 players while playing on PSN. Likewise, Sony explicitly and repeatedly states that developers cannot offer exclusive gameplay options or special unlockables for NEO players—so don’t expect NEO owners to get a level editor or a special Rocket League car that you won’t have access to on your original PS4. That said, so long as both systems have the same feature, the NEO can run an improved version.

Games released previous to the NEO can take advantage of this hardware upgrade, but only if developers decide to patch their titles.

Thoughts?

Sony are making it. So they seem to "get it". Perhaps, though, they haven't the slightest idea what they are doing. I guess they should have consulted you first.
Sony hasn't said a thing, though. Unlike a ton of clueless people who "get it", and they are basically calling Sony stupid, not me, lol.

Desktop cards in this performance class (Radeon 7970 Ghz edition, 280X) were paired with 288GB/s of memory bandwidth before delta color compression was introduced with Tonga. And that was without having to share with the CPU.

380X is at 3.9 Tflops with 184GB/s mem bandwidth

Dev slides said it had 4.5 GB, and .5 GB was kinda conditional or something (but again all devs slides mentioned using 4.5GB only EG KZ Shadowfall slides, so the conditional memory was likely problematic).

So I'm guessing they just legit finally give that 512 MB back, taking it to 5GB. Where are you getting 6GB? There's been no credible information to say the PS4 had 5.5GB available for games before. (No GAF of the "all 8GB of PS4 is for games" is not a credible source)

Dev slides said it had 4.5 GB, and .5 GB was kinda conditional or something (but again all devs slides mentioned using 4.5GB only EG KZ Shadowfall slides, so the conditional memory was likely problematic).

So I'm guessing they just legit finally give that 512 MB back, taking it to 5GB. Where are you getting 6GB? There's been no credible information to say the PS4 had 5.5GB available for games before. (No GAF of the "all 8GB of PS4 is for games" is not a credible source)
My mistake. I couldn't remember if it was 4.5 or 5.5 and one of the search results said 5.5

I still fail to see ANY point in such a device, and how could it successfully work out. It feels like the people "getting it" are the ones without slightest idea.

I just hate the idea :/

My biggest problem by far is none of the problems people bring up (although the fragmented userbase is a strong issue), rather it's that by nature most of this supplemental power will now simply effectively idle (or be sapped up in low return usage like AA) (just like a high end PC). You will have a box with two times the power of your PS4 with games that look 5-10% better, if that. I was listening to dudes on a podcast discuss PS4K a while back and they all made good points, but none of them mentioned that!

Hell, it's not even the PS4 "Neo" devs will be targeting as the LCD, as other astute observers have mentioned, it's the Xbox One!

I will still wait to see it, but I expect this may be real, it's just such a muddy-ing the waters "Sony" thing to do. It will reset the sales race, power race (given Phil's comments and a assuredly later release given the lack of solid leaks, Xbox 2 should out power this by a good margin), etc etc.

Even if it means the existing ps4 guys now get games running at 15fps? (that run 30fps on the ps4k or 720p vs 1080p)

Do you really think this will happen? Seriously?
You're saying that PS4 games will suddenly run worse than Xbox One versions of games? :rolleyes:

I just hate the idea :/ My biggest problem by far is none of the problems people bring up (although the fragmented userbase is a strong issue), rather it's that by nature most of this supplemental power will now simply effectively idle (or be sapped up in low return usage like AA) (just like a high end PC). You will have a box with two times the power of your PS4 with games that look 5-10% better, if that. I was listening to dudes on a podcast discuss PS4K a while back and they all made good points, but none of them mentioned that!

Judging by the regular PC poster invasions talking about performance, even 5-10% performance is important to some. BTW, 4k over 1080p is a massive improvement in image quality - even on a TV at distance. And for some framerate seems very important. Let those who care about technical performance buy whatever they feel they need too. Everybody else, which will likely be the majority of the market, can carry on as they are.

I just don't get people trying to stop other people spending their money how they like.

Last edited by a moderator:
2x the CU's is going to make a big difference to PSVR image quality.

On the not splitting the user base part - just because they aren't doing that for day one doesn't mean they won't allow it a few years down the line. You could see PS4k/PS5 only cross gen titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back