Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

Turns out that was a different 'leak' pjbliverpool.
Anyway, at this moment there is a lot of 'pride of ownership' going around. Only trust scientific facts, or people who have both headsets :)

Is that one person's subjective opinion important? There are so many much more detailed opinions from real people...

I don't like anonymous dev "leaks", I don't understand the motives. Biases and conflicts of interest abound.

Ben from RoadToVR is a very good source so far, for multiple reasons. I don't like the guys from Tested, they're horrible. Kyle from Ars is even worse. Anyway... it's the sum of all subjective opinions which is useful.

/rant

Turns out that was a different 'leak' pjbliverpool.
Anyway, at this moment there is a lot of 'pride of ownership' going around. Only trust scientific facts, or people who have both headsets :)

So you're both saying there is no reliable and objective basis for claiming PSVR is more comfortable than a properly fitted Oculus? Cool, sounds like we're all on the same page then!

I'm not saying anything about the topic, just ranting about sources. :LOL:

Seriously, looking at the sum of all impressions and reviews is a better way to get a reasonable expectation. You won't get an answer about comfort from a single individual. That's all I'm saying. You need more data.

Last edited:
Example: You have people claiming the lens flare does not affect them or distract from the experience.

That reminds me of non-iPhone people saying in 2010 that high resolution screens in smartphones were useless, and that the 301 ppi of the iPhone was too high for normal use.
The exact same people are now saying 301ppi is too low, now their android phone have supposed higher resolutions (never mind the pentile ;-) )

Only once PCVR gets optical grade lenses, and full quality RGB displays, with TRUE oled contrast and black levels, the PCVR crowd will accept it's technical superiority. If PCVR gets RGBW displays, they will say: "PSVR is only RGB? No RGBW?? lol, pretty garbage in this day and age"

Comfort and basically everything is the same deal. So don't trust anyone. Trust your own senses once you can buy the headsets in stores :)

I will read them, but I will never trust them.

unless you believe DK2 has no screen door, perfect black level, +110fov, and so on case in point

Edit: these people are supposedly giving objective reviews
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4eth2h/this_is_a_hack_and_we_dont_condone_it_oculus_on/

More lols: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/com...ey_on_twitterfun_fact_nintendo_doesnt/cxr6rid

some of these fans could never in their life give an objective impression.

"oculus is super comfortable if you loosen the straps to the point where it dangles from your face, shifting the vertical angle while you move!" I hope those noobs with their lying CEO get put in their place soon. Palmer will be begging on reddit for valve to support oculus :)

Last edited:
Tried the final oculus this weekend.. this means I have tried all of them, even cardboard with a Z10 and iPhone 5S.
PSVR for me is the premium VR experience. Content, image quality, comfort. The other ones don't come close IMO. Anyone who claims otherwise will tell you they haven't tried all :)
I'm building a next generation pc for FF XV, so pc VR was an option. But not with current HMDs. Not even for 200 euro

Tried the final oculus this weekend.. this means I have tried all of them, even cardboard with a Z10 and iPhone 5S.
PSVR for me is the premium VR experience. Content, image quality, comfort. The other ones don't come close IMO. Anyone who claims otherwise will tell you they haven't tried all :)

Or we could take note of the impressions from people who actually have used all 3 major headsets and don't regularly display raging bias:

http://www.roadtovr.com/eve-valkyrie-cross-platform-psvr-oculus-rift-htc-vive-compare/
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4b1c8b/my_opinions_on_the_vive_vs_oculus_vs_psvr/
http://blog.turbosquid.com/2016/03/17/irl-review-psvr-gdc16/

I'm a little weary of posting this one as it's outlook on PSVR is very grim, leading me to suspect there may be a level of bias involved:

http://www.gizmag.com/best-vr-headset-gdc-2016/42377/

Last edited:
Yeah he seems to draw conclusions from experience with one PC port that is apparently broken.

"CCP has managed to retain most of the visual flair of the PC version, and most importantly, all of the gameplay"
That's not something I would want to be reading if I just ordered a 750 euro pentile headset :p

Not even taking into account Playstation Neo, I am really, really excited for October!

"CCP has managed to retain most of the visual flair of the PC version, and most importantly, all of the gameplay"

"Most" is an extremely subjective statement. The XBO achieves "most" of the visual flair of the PS4 in cross platform games, in all likelihood, it's a damn site closer to the PS4 than the PS4 is to the PC in VR, and yet you would no doubt champion the PS4's advantages over the XBO as significant. Incidentally, I'm not interested in playing the tit for tat quote game, but we both know the quote you chose above is far from the the most damning of the relative PSVR experience from the links above.

That's not something I would want to be reading if I just ordered a 750 euro pentile headset :p

Keep banging the 'pentile' drum as much as you like. It doesn't change the fact that virtually all objective reviews rate the image quality as being better on those higher resolution pentile displays. In direct contradiction to pretty much everything you've been claiming for the past couple of months.

Not even taking into account Playstation Neo, I am really, really excited for October!

Yes, for people that want to pay $400 more, the new PS4K should deliver an experience closer to the PC minimum spec, hand controllers aside.

I meant to quote the "all of the gameplay part"; which could be the most important aspect of a VR videogame

All the reviews up to this point have only really tested pentile+lens flare+diffuser+plastic fresnel lens headsets and google cardboard. And thus there has not been a comparative review.

And for "$400 more", you get a free VR DS4 controller, a free 1TB hdd, a free HDMI cable, a free power cable, a free blu ray drive, as well as some other stuff thrown in

I meant to quote the "all of the gameplay part"; which could be the most important aspect of a VR videogame
Yes, all of the gameplay would remain intact for controller based games, naturally. When it comes to hand controller based games though, and particularly room scale based games in comparison to the Vive, it's a very different story. And for the record, be it in VR or traditional 2d gaming, the PS4 will retain "all of the gameplay" of the PS4K versions of games. So no need for PS4K? And the XBO retains "all of the gameplay" of the PS4 versions of games. So you agree XBO is just as good as PS4?

All the reviews up to this point have only really tested pentile+lens flare+diffuser+plastic fresnel lens headsets and google cardboard. And thus there has not been a comparative review.

No. Every one of the links I posted above was comparing PSVR to Occulus and/or Vive. Thus, they are all comparative reviews.

And for "$400 more", you get a free VR DS4 controller, a free 1TB hdd, a free HDMI cable, a free power cable, a free blu ray drive, as well as some other stuff thrown in

Umm no, you pay for all of those things, hence the "$400 more". And most of those things are redundant if you already own a PS4.

If Xbox costs the same and had the same exclusives as well as the same VR capabilities and controller, then most certainly it would be just as good!

"No. Every one of the links I posted above was comparing PSVR to Occulus and/or Vive. Thus, they are all comparative reviews."
The difference is a lot bigger than in those reviews. Believe me; oculus is a lot closer to gear VR than PlayStation VR, and I don't mean that in a nice way.

"most of those things are redundant if you already own a PS4"
So you could.... sell the PS4? In that case the $400 more becomes $200 more.

If Xbox costs the same and had the same exclusives as well as the same VR capabilities and controller, then most certainly it would be just as good!

So for regular 2d multi platform games you agree that there is no difference between PS4 and XBO. Good to know.

The difference is a lot bigger than in those reviews. Believe me; oculus is a lot closer to gear VR than PlayStation VR, and I don't mean that in a nice way.

Believe me, I don't believe you.

So you could.... sell the PS4? In that case the $400 more becomes $200 more.

Fair enough, I will change that to: "assuming someone is willing to buy your second hand PS4 (post PS4K launch) for $200, then for people that want to pay $200 more and go through the hassle of selling their old console, the new PS4K should deliver an experience closer to the PC minimum spec, hand controllers aside.

I'm building a next generation pc for FF XV, so pc VR was an option. But not with current HMDs. Not even for 200 euro

While the PS VR looks like it has some advantages
  • higher refresh
  • RGB stripe
  • Ergonomics and comfort
  • Likely better optics (RoadToVr_Ben: Not clear yet, they are being cagey about specifics. Seems it might be a multi-element aspheric lens layout, which would be interesting as Rift and Vive are both single-element AFAIK. I was told by one source that some of the very early PSVR prototypes had even better optics, but they were impractical due to cost.)
  • Better range of AAA games ?
compared to highend PC VR; there is no doubt is also has some disadvantages:
  • Raw CPU and rendering power advantage of PCs
  • Lower pixel resolution (impressions have convinced me that PC VR resolution is noticeably better despite sub-pixel arrangements)
  • Single screen
  • No manual IPD
  • Move controllers prone to orientation drift?
and compared to Vive:
  • Lower FOV
  • Less accurate tracking, particularly motion controllers
  • Not room scale, occluded controllers for standing 360'
I think this is clearly a case of horses for courses, with the PS VR presenting excellent value for money and a lot of "bang for your buck".

Finally, until we actually get a chance to live with PS VR for a bit, we really won't know how good a VR platform it actually is.

Back