Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah for true resolution independence, vector based would be far superior. It still won't help legacy apps unfortunately. And likely won't help with "legacy" programmers who don't want to deal with doing things differently than they've been doing it for the past 20 years.

Regards,
SB

I'm also starting to wonder why we even want such graphics to be bitmapped rather than vector based?
OSX uses vectorized mouse pointers since a version or two back. You notice this easily in current el capitan release by shaking the mouse back and forth rapidly.

Of course, NeXT-OS (*edit: NeXTStep? Can't remember...) used vectorized everything. A bit silly (and depressing) that we went backwards from there in the years since the mid-1990s...

Last edited:
Windows 10 desktop market share grows to 14.15% for March 2016
As far as specific operating versions are concerned, Windows 7 remains a force to be reckoned with at 51.89% of all desktop shares, but Windows 10 has finally unseated Windows XP at the number two spot with an impressive 14.15% market share for the month of March. To put things in perspective, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 combine for a little under 12% market share having been on the market for over three years. Mac OSX divvies up the remaining share between Linux with version 10.10 taking 2.06% and 10.11 accounting for 4.05% while Linux hangs to its 1.78% influence in the market.

Marketshare1.jpg

On mobile, Windows accounts for just 2.54% of the operating system pie while iOS takes the second spot with 31.76% and Android hoards the remaining lion share of 60.99%. Investigating the numbers further shows swapping trend in iOS and Android adoption, where iOS has steadily dropped from its 41.55% market share in July of 2015 to just 31.76% as of March 2016 and Android increasing its lead from 51.12% in July 2015 to 60.99% this month. All the while Windows Phone has teetered ever so slightly from 2.60% in August 2015 to 2.54% in March of 2016.

mobilemarketshare.jpg

http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-10-stats-march

Finally decided to try Cortana and didn't have to do too much to get it to work - already had it on English so just change the region to Uk. And it helped that I recently got a webcam again with a stereo mic, so it can hear me properly. So for starting software I can now also just say Hey Cortana Start ... :)

I use it a bunch for setting alarms and reminders. I could do with a whole lot more functionality though like muting/unmuting the PC without having to go to it.

yeesh, now my W10 PC suddenly can't open any Metro apps, including the start menu around 10 minutes after login.
and i did nothing! i was out of town! i just got back and my PC is broken.

luckily classic shell save the day. I still can't open any metro app (including the windows update), but at least i can use the start menu to run classic windows apps.

EDIT:

hey! windows update suddenly can be opened! but nothing else :(

heh, at least i still can update my PC.

EDIT:

-____- my W10 tablet got its rim peeling off by itself... almost lost 1 part. now i peeled off all the rim that feels "loose" and keep it in a box.

please no more broken stuff for today...

yeesh, now my W10 PC suddenly can't open any Metro apps, including the start menu around 10 minutes after login.
and i did nothing! i was out of town! i just got back and my PC is broken.

Maybe you should stop letting your cat fuck your technology appliances like your PC, PS4, phone, tablet, and microsd cards.

I think I found the problem. My windows hdd got one block red bad sector. SMART and Windows did not complain, weird.

I just ran check disk overnight for all drives, maybe it can relocate the sectors (shouldn't they automatically relocate the reserved sectors?). Now scanning the sectors again.

@zed welcome to Indonesia with its ridiculous high tax. We have official distributors though. Although in Jakarta, there's also a bunch of Grey market stuff. (btw I'm on another province and computer parts are hard to get, I can't even fine 2m usb cables"lol)

@Grall on the bright side, you can get someone else to fix it for you.

So my PC suddenly froze hard out of nowhere -> reset button -> bluescreen at the Windows logo -> install updates with 2 more auto-reboots -> back up 'updates were installed'
Seems to be the latest cumulative update caused it?!

So my PC suddenly froze hard out of nowhere -> reset button -> bluescreen at the Windows logo -> install updates with 2 more auto-reboots -> back up 'updates were installed'
Seems to be the latest cumulative update caused it?!
Yes my win10 didnt start up this morning, 2 hardresets were required, 1 repair and then 'install updates'

So whats a detailed way for it to only install updates when I want. EG a button that I can click that goes 'install all updates' which I can click and then go to the shops of something, its a PITA turning on the PC in the morning and then having to wait X minutes

There is a group policy in Pro.
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
"NoAutoUpdate"=dword:00000001
"AUOptions"=dword:00000002

Well I've now switched the Advanced Options from 'Automatic' to 'Notify to schedule restart'.
Its always notified me before on Automatic (unless they changed the default action?), I'm assuming this was some form of failed automatic restart?

I wish there was (a simple) way to disable automatic updates on win10 home edition. It's a genuine fucking crime it defaults to this setting without at least offering a way to disable it. That it works this way shows how deluded microsoft is in its belief they own and thus get to control other peoples' PCs.

Makes me want to break Natella's kneecaps with a baseball bat.

No I think there have been more than enough Windows based bot nets/worms etc that were caused primarily by people who never bothered to install updates for multiple years since MS fixed the vulnerability that its an important thing to make sure security updates get out there.

No I think there have been more than enough Windows based bot nets/worms etc that were caused primarily by people who never bothered to install updates for multiple years since MS fixed the vulnerability that its an important thing to make sure security updates get out there.

yups, even my family members (cousins, uncles, etc) prefer to NOT update. They always afraid that an update will bring compatibility problems.

but to be fair, the software & games in my country are archaic and can be problematic with new windows or new updates... usually can be fixed by force-run as admin or compatibility windows xp but its not a well-known feature.

Speaking of which, one of the updates was to Flash & it seems there was a vulnerability being actively exploited, could be the Flash update caused the freeze rather than the Windows ones?

Thanks Rikimaru
though it started up fine today, it was fine except the text size
win10b.jpg

I just can't understand why highDPI is causing so many issues, its fixed, then its not then next day it is, then next week its not, then it is, then its not etc every time I turn on the PC its a lottery
though one thing never changes if I have the popup eg from typing 'regedit' (do you want this program to change stuff on your PC) it has never once been the right size, the popup is always tiny, I can understand other companies not yet making their programs high DPI capable, I just can't understand why MS hasnt made their own programs high DPI capable :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back