Movie Reviews 2.0

Nudity is the least of my concern. Who on earth ever thought that nudity would offend children ... one of the bigger follies of our time. My dad contributed to research on what children find scary and that differs every year, and is often completely not what you expect. As for following the story, he's very smart and can follow pretty complex story lines, but he can get very angry if good people do stupid things. This is probably my biggest concern with the movie. But the action is the biggest draw of course. The actual deaths of people he's sensitive the last 1-2 years as he grew to understand what death means. But he's seen worse things - do you remember that Transformers scene where one guy just gets roasted out of thin air? That was horrible and completely out of the blue for a movie like that. But even from that he didn't get nightmares.

But yeah, though he's been asking me to see it, but I think I'll skip it. I rented the Fantastic Four remake the other day instead, and he did like that a lot (but there too he found the scene where Dr Doom gets taken by the green stuff scary enough to hide his face).

One of the way he shows he's smart is that he always wants to see a movie that has been scary to the end, because then he learns how whatever bad was in there can be defeated and more importantly how (so he can re-use that in his own imagination).

By the way, saw most of a million ways to die in the West this week (on Netflix) ... a bit self-indulgent, but entertaining.

holyfuckshit! I did not know they were doing side movies for back stories! Now THAT looks great!

holyfuckshit! I did not know they were doing side movies for back stories! Now THAT looks great!
Young Han Solo is the next side story announced; supposedly Alden Ehrenreich, Jack Reynor, Taron Egerton are the current short-list for Solo. Next side story that has been discussed is Boba Fett, though apparently this hit some production/director problems. With Episode 8 now bumped to Christmas 2017 (rather than the initial announcement of Summer 2017) it looks like the aim is to have a main story episode every two years with a side story in the Star Wars Universe in the off years.

Gareth Edwards (Monsters, Godzilla) is the director for Rogue One and Phil Lord & Chris Miller (21 & 22 Jump Street, The Lego Movie) are on point for Young Solo.

Last edited:
Anyone know if it's been said if Disney plans this "main story/off story" sequence to continue past the traditional Star Wars trilogy of movies? (6 movies total, in this case...) I'm pretty sure their aim is to NOT wait almost a generation before releasing a new movie like Lucas did - or even a decade actually - but if they want to make it an ongoing thing, one would start to worry a little about quality, and the possibility of franchise overload.

I'm hoping they have the sense not to wring the franchise completely dry before they're forced to retire it for an extended period. ...But that's just a future scenario, so no point getting worked up about stuff that haven't happened yet. ;)

An Imperial Base that is an entire galaxy. Each planet is akin to a different floor.

I have a feeling that there was some kind of a sun destroyer super weapon in the expanded universe created in the time line of the now defunct post-Episode VI books. Making a star go nova would be an easy way to wipe out a whole system. I just hope the designers remember to include an easy to access weak point in the defences!

Disney has stated that there is more Star Wars beyond episode 9, but they haven't gone as far as planning them yet.

One a separate topic, a new trailer for Suicide Squad was released yesterday. This is looking entertaining.

Last edited:
Starting with Iron Man, Marvel is at 12 released movies, CA3 and Dr. Strange are coming this year, and 9 more are announced, which makes 23 altogether. James Bond is at 24.

There are only 3 sequels and 3 anthology movies announced so far in the Star Wars universe, with 6 previous ones . I guess there's room for a LOT more, and it's pretty sure that they'll keep them coming as long as people are willing to go and watch them.

There is a different story telling structure set up between the Marvel and SW franchises though. Marvel have a fairy rich vein of pre-existing characters, with varying degrees of public awareness, and they are structured as individual character movies with periodic mash-up movies linked by some meta arc (MCU). Thus far the main stories for Star Wars have been structured around a primary arc of a central character over 3 movies - Anakin, Luke and presumably Rey up to 9; the question is whether that structure remains with 10-12 being focused on another new character or carries straight on from 9.

It took Marvel some time to announce their slate of titles through to "Phase 3", and that also only came after they had success under the Disney banner as well. Although Star Wars certainly has a bigger (movie going) fan base than Marvel's cinematic outings had and Force Awakens will certainly give Disney a lot of confidence, my guess would be that they will look to see how well Rogue One does before they begin to outline anything beyond 9, at least in public.

I dunno, I'm not that much informed about Marvel's comics (even after reading a lot of wikipedia ;) ) but I sort of got the impression that a lot of the main title characters in the current MCU are either second-grade ones in terms of public awareness (like Iron Man is supposed to be) or even lesser known (Ant-Man, the Guardians, possibly even Thor). The Hulk was probably better known because of the old TV series, but the movies weren't performing that well (although I really liked the first one; well it's first 2/3). Their real stars are supposed to be Spiderman and the X-men, but of course they did not have the movie rights for those comics, so they had to use other ones.

So, in my opinion at least, the success of the Marvel movies had a lot more to do with how they were written, directed, visualized; and how well Robert Downey Jr. has managed to portray Stark in the first Iron Man. The first wave of successful comic book adaptations in the early 2000s was another huge help, as both the X-men and Spiderman movies were good; and of course Batman Begins and the Dark Knight have also helped.

I believe that Disney will be able to follow a similar path in universe building with Star Wars. Force Awakens was obviously a good start, and Rouge One is telling a story that pretty much everyone already knows about and would be interested in. The next two anthology movies will also feature familiar characters with Han Solo and Boba Fett; and Obi-Wan Kenobi is a pretty good bet if they are planning another one (in fact they could easily do an entire trilogy with him).
All they need to do now is to introduce some new secondary hero characters in these movies to the audience, in order to set up new standalone features - the same way Marvel did in the MCU. Disney has all the know-how and experience, they have Kevin Faige on board; heck, they can possibly even get Joss Whedon back on board to do Star Wars in his way ;)
These 6-7 movies should be more than enough to build a new universe, and once it is done, Star Wars can also switch gears to two new movies per year.

Whether that is a good idea or not is of course another question...

Saw BvS and I LOVED it!

I liked the whole idea of Batman never finding the light through fighting crime (it's in the intro!) and having to live in that world despite that.
The sheer destruction that the superman then causes in his fight with Zod, brings Batman to the point of collapse. The training sequence was great as well.

As for Superman interfering with Batmans' chase of the krypton: if the krypton is in a lead case then x-ray won't see it, and Batman only crashed because he drove into Superman on purpose, if he didn't he would not have crashed. A friend said it was a plot hole, but it wasn't.

The movie was really refreshing because I have (marvel) comic movie franchise fatigue. Ant man was mediocre, but great after seeing all other marvel shit :p

So the new trailer for Dr. Strange is pretty much dull IMHO. I couldn't care less, especially because I really hate this new-wave pseudo science stuff, or the new trend of anti-science movements.

But then it's Benedict Cumberbatch, and also Mikkelsen, Ejiofor, Swinton, McAdams... and suddenly I'm still interested :)

Back