Influences of Favorite Console Religion on Game Perception (containment thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know, if I post stupid shit to start a useless discussion i expect the answers to reflect on that.
That's a matter of perspective. L. Scofield posts criticism. To some, it's mindless trolling. To others, it's legitimate debate. I'm not going to make the call on what is or isn't allowed. I also don't need to, because we have places to discuss everything. All we need is people to have the sense to manage the discussions instead of constantly bitching that they don't want people saying things they don't want to hear, whether claims to be the 'best graphics ever' or nitpicking criticism and endless comparisons to other games.

There's nothing wrong with either Ultragpu et al's praise of UC/ND, nor Scofield et al's criticisms and comparisons, so either side asking for the mod team to silence the 'opposition' is uncalled for, and quite frankly immature. At the root of these requests though is a legitimate interest in keeping specific threads on topic, which is always best managed by the people in those threads rather than filling them up with OT arguing and waiting the mod team to do something. Just look at the number of calls to restore the UC4 thread to game discussion that were posted, and yet not one person had the sense to report the thread earlier on for a more efficient clean up. Not even from people who have been in this forum for a decade, who'd still continue the same off-topic arguing as ever. Makes you think. Or at least it should do.

Hurt? Bemused more like it, how you can claim the 7 nobel prize winners were wrong and you with zero qualifications was right.
You lost simply because what those economists were saying in no way refuted what Phil and I were arguing. That paper even included a list of reasons of why you are wrong lol.

Still I can't be too hard on you, you've had a terrible day, I could hear you're sobs all the way here in nz.
After your months of knocking The Order and praising Quantum Break, to read all these reviews saying QB is the xbox ones version of The Order must be mentally devastating :(. Stay strong dude.
All I praised from QB is the lighting. Couldn't care less about the rest of the game.

BMoszLX.gif

So good.

I have a little fable to tell. Please don't ban me its to calm the manners.

A long time ago, just before current consoles were announced, before first low level api became a buzzword on pcside, there was a brave warrior on gaf , what was he called? shaderhacker or ...veteran was he called? At the begining He indeed appered to know something about shaders or be some kind of veteran who may bring some interesting input... until next round of plafrom wars begun. When 2013 and great flame of fud aroused, in the name of one and only workstaion, bright thoughts were brought " there is no such thing as low level api you... layman" , " console chips are based on standard opengl compatible chips and thats api they will use which may be slower than direcx ... I'm an expert you idiot " and many simlilar sounding things, some of the details has been lost in time. Agendas can be just as strong as appearances and mistakes were made twice.

At least sometimes people can admit they are not veterans in every field.

I still do bring some interesting discussion. ;)

It wouldn't have mattered at all.. eventually someone was going to cry to a Moderator who was biased to the PS4 and my ban was inevitable.

I'm happy to see that there are some mature mods out here (i.e. Shifty) that don't take things so personal.

For the record, I never said "console chips are based on OpenGL". I said it is very rare to find developers that develop their engines in pure assembly thinking that ND was somehow going to make a PS4 do things that no one else could because they were "coding to the metal" was a ludicrous statement -- and still is.

L. Scofield said:
All I praised from QB is the lighting. Couldn't care less about the rest of the game.

BMoszLX.gif

So good.

The piss filter reminds me of the Xbox 360 version of Dirt. QB was probably in development hell for 8 years. Newsflash: piss-filters are the QTEs of lighting

You lost simply because what those economists were saying in no way refuted what Phil and I were arguing. That paper even included a list of reasons of why you are wrong lol.

BMoszLX.gif

So good.
I'm playing the game right now on my Xbone, it looks literally like a blur fest good lighting or not. And the lighting quality isn't even that good, lots of low res volumetric beams.

You guys should definitely check out Dirt on Xbox 360. it has similar lighting and it also has the same image quality, at least in this screenshot.
Even the native resolution of 720P is the same.
Dirt uses the Sony Phyre-engine if I'm not mistaken. Quantum Break probably uses a derivative of that engine.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Why aren't the PS4 fans on Neogaf that flood the UC4 threads with waving "perfection" comments not on these boards? I'd love to continue my discussion of how anything exclusive to the PS4 gets the same amount of attention -- but the non-exclusives get the "meh" treatment. :)

Why aren't the PS4 fans on Neogaf that flood the UC4 threads with waving "perfection" comments not on these boards? I'd love to continue my discussion of how anything exclusive to the PS4 gets the same amount of attention -- but the non-exclusives get the "meh" treatment. :)
Common VFX don't be bitter about your experience there on this board. It just doesn't add anything. The communities here are different.

Beyond3D is relatively small compared to Neogaf which is in the top 10 forums in the world for traffic and user base. You were bound to run into thousands of fans ready and waiting to trounce on you.

Last edited:

Not all exclusives have the same attention to detail though, and i think that's pretty much down to budget (pretty sure ND have relatively large budgets for their games since they produce multi-million sellers), time (3-4 year cycle is a rarity nowadays) and then there's artists, art direction and programmers/technical art directors which differ from team to team. ND are seemingly the most privileged developer working for Sony right now if you exclude PD. Even Shuhei Yoshida, which monitors progress of WIP games at SWWS, said pretty much everyone at Sony know ND are going to deliver a quality game so they are less strict with them/don't need to monitor the game as much.

The interview is this one (from GDC 2016)

The part i'm talking about starts at 29:10

Last edited:
I'm trying to read this thread but wonder what's the real point of it?

I mean did we have threads demonizing Halo for being exclusive to xbox 360 last gen or this gen?

I don't understand...

Or is this a let's hate Uncharted 4 thread?

Why does any discussion on exclusives have to turn into a pissing contest?

Why all the hate on Quantum Break in a thread about UC4?

Both games look stellar!!!!!!!!

Both games have really good lighting but use different methods!!!!!!

Quantum break is not a blur fest if you are playing it on even a decent 1080p monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back