Influences of Favorite Console Religion on Game Perception (containment thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
One pretending to be an expert on everything while claiming everyone else is wrong,
Is that the same person who in another thread in a question about economics, who claimed that 600 top economists (including 7 nobel prize winners) were wrong and he (with no economic qualifications) was right?

Oh zed, still hurt by that discussion? Destroyed by your own evidence :LOL:

If you guys can't handle criticism of your favorite franchises perhaps you'd prefer opening a blog with closed comments :rolleyes:

What this thread reminds me of:

"In media, an echo chamber is a situation in which information, ideas, or beliefs are amplified or reinforced by transmission and repetition inside an "enclosed" system, where different or competing views are censored, disallowed, or otherwise underrepresented.

One purveyor of information will make a claim, which many like-minded people then repeat, overhear, and repeat again (often in an exaggerated or otherwise distorted form) until most people assume that some extreme variation of the story is true.

Participants in online communities may find their own opinions constantly echoed back to them, which reinforces their individual belief systems. This can create significant barriers to critical discourse within an online medium."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echo_chamber_(media)

Don't try to deflect criticism on your posts by playing the "I want to be different" card. If i recall correctly the only thing you noticed from this sequence

Was the "shitty" motion blur. Most of your posts here seem like complaining for the sake of complaining, and don't resemble constructive criticism in the least (which is welcome in most threads, including this one). But since you don't want to do that, we can all have a laugh and let it pass, you're neither the first nor the last that does that on the internet :)

Last edited:
I wanted the discussion to go on another thead because it was pollution of the UC4 topic but troll gonna troll. This the Internet way...

And like someone said don't feed the troll...

Thread cleanup and quarantine badly needed. The trolls have been ravaging this uncharted land like there was no tomorrow.

See what I did there?

Good feeling to finally see some good old native 1080p game after seeing some of the recent dynamic res and 720p+ blurfest titles:).

Disable 6 CU's and reduce GPU memory bandwidth to 60GB/sec. Would U4 still be a "good old native 1080p game"?
That's what I thought.

I wish they implemented some framerate-doubling option. I love the graphics but the multiplayer felt nice as well.

Disable 6 CU's and reduce GPU memory bandwidth to 60GB/sec. Would U4 still be a "good old native 1080p game"?
That's what I thought.
OK? And thank god at least one console has smart engineering without that damn ESRAM getting in the way?

Don't try to deflect criticism on your posts by playing the "I want to be different" card. If i recall correctly the only thing you noticed from this sequence

Was the "shitty" motion blur. Most of your posts here seem like complaining for the sake of complaining, and don't resemble constructive criticism in the least (which is welcome in most threads, including this one). But since you don't want to do that, we can all have a laugh and let it pass, you're neither the first nor the last that does that on the internet :)

The only thing I noticed? Rather, the only thing I commented on. Can't handle criticism unless it's accompanied by glowing impressions? lol

Didn't see you complaining about my position on Halo 5.

Thread cleanup and quarantine badly needed. The trolls have been ravaging this uncharted land like there was no tomorrow.

See what I did there?

And the calls for censorship continue.

Come May 10th, I think the only people who will be in this thread will be those that are still hung up about picking screens apart on over compressed Youtube grabs and don't own the game. Everyone else will be too occupied actually playing it. I know I will.
Right, those who play the game could never possibly be critical of it.

PS: No, I don't mind the analysis, not as long as it stays focused on the game itself, rather than comparing it to other games, that might look better, but do a lot less (or have more resources spent on looking good).
So you have no problem with comparisons to other game as long as those comparisons are favorable to U4.

I also think Naughty Dog games are scrutinized more so than other games, because they've built up an image over the years that puts them at the very top, representing the best of the best on a given platform or sometimes even across different similar hardware.
Or maybe because the fanboys will quite loudly and obnoxiously make ridiculous claims about them and shitpost about other games such as "The mediocre outdoor lighting in ROTTR is further emphasized when seen next to UC4's, what a difference" while whining about people calling them out for it.

Don't start a fire if you can't handle the heat.

As a fan, I'm happy to note that despite this, they've always also maintained an image of not only stellar visuals, but more importantly stellar gameplay too. I can't say the same of lots of other games, very good looking games, but just fall that bit short on the gameplay side. A good example was UC2 or UC3 - it already looked very very good. But wen you actually play the game and see these blockbuster moments, like building collapsing while in it, still emerged into a shooting battle, the moving train, the plane scene, it's beyond belief at times how good it looks in those moments while retaining everything else. These moments, these complex scenes are rarely captured in still frames but need to be experienced to be appreciated how much is actually going on all at once.

It's very different than for example a game that aims to look good most of the time, but delivers a very constant experience with little surprises or moments that push the envelope.
I wouldn't consider run of the mill cover shooting with bullet sponge enemies "stellar" gameplay.

As for the set pieces, as pretty as they are they're just scripted sequences. Not that different from a cutscene or an on-rails shooter on a technical level. If they were doing that on a dynamic basis then it could be considered "pushing the envelope".

For @#&*£ sake people - self moderate. If someone's being a dick and always being a dick, ignore them. Don't go having stupid 'debates' with people who aren't debating and then call on us mods to spend fifteen minutes clicking little tick-boxes to move the discussion somewhere sane. If you want a proper debate about rendering tech, spawn a tech thread instead of dragging every frickin' exclusive game thread down the same stinky U-bend.

This is a good thread! Myself I love PS4, also technical excellent games, and as such; Driveclub, The Order as well as Uncharted series are among my favourite. Having said that; I see the criticism on those games:
-great hardware, easy to work with
-extremely talented developers
-amazing art direction

In a way the graphics are kind of boring: they are exactly what you expect.

With other, non-Sony exclusive titles you look at them and you say:
"wow those artefacts produced by the flipped SSR are really neat in this frame, it almost looks like GI, and look at the resolution: in this frame it could almost pass for a blurry 900p game. amazing how they accomplished that!"

So the U4-'haters' still have my respect. Also Driveclub being the most photorealistic racer ever to be released is also boring in itself: real life is really easy. You can have Driveclub graphics by driving your car in real life. The shadow artefacts in Quantum Break however? Those will never appear in real life, and IMO, really add to the medium of video games.

Oh zed, still hurt by that discussion? Destroyed by your own evidence
Hurt? Bemused more like it, how you can claim the 7 nobel prize winners were wrong and you with zero qualifications was right.
Still I can't be too hard on you, you've had a terrible day, I could hear you're sobs all the way here in nz.
After your months of knocking The Order and praising Quantum Break, to read all these reviews saying QB is the xbox ones version of The Order must be mentally devastating :(. Stay strong dude.

Hurt? Bemused more like it, how you can claim the 7 nobel prize winners were wrong and you with zero qualifications was right.
To be fair, the experts can be wrong. History is replete with long-held beliefs and poo-poo'd new theories that have later been proven correct. Just because 7 noted professors all share the same belief, doesn't necessarily mean they are right. One should always defer to evidence and reason rather than reputation and name-dropping, only relying on reputation when dealing with speculation and trying to sort the theories into most and least plausible.

I have a little fable to tell. Please don't ban me its to calm the manners.

A long time ago, just before current consoles were announced, before first low level api became a buzzword on pcside, there was a brave warrior on gaf , what was he called? shaderhacker or ...veteran was he called? At the begining He indeed appered to know something about shaders or be some kind of veteran who may bring some interesting input... until next round of plafrom wars begun. When 2013 and great flame of fud aroused, in the name of one and only workstaion, bright thoughts were brought " there is no such thing as low level api you... layman" , " console chips are based on standard opengl compatible chips and thats api they will use which may be slower than direcx ... I'm an expert you idiot " and many simlilar sounding things, some of the details has been lost in time. Agendas can be just as strong as appearances and mistakes were made twice.

At least sometimes people can admit they are not veterans in every field.

With the downplaying propaganda Scofield is always trying to pass as an "opinion" in the Uncharted threads you'd think ND was a rejecting girlfriend or something :LOL:

Let's stop discussing personalities. We all know certain patterns of behaviour from certain members. However, they are entitled to opinions and they aren't going to be censored (whether insanely pro- or anti- a game/platform/developer). Apply one's own data filters to manage the conversation. eg. This thread needn't exist if everyone in the UC4 thread interested in discussing UC4 didn't decide to debate with VFX_Veteran and L. Scofield about their counter arguments, or if VFX and Scofield were willing to let the enthusiasm slide.

As said before, anyone wanting a proper discussion on a game's tech and relative performance in the industry should start a tech thread. Game threads are generally for game talk and a bit of gushing is okay. Heck, I'm sure developers would rather hear some gushing then a load of technical nitpicking.

I don't know, if I post stupid shit to start a useless discussion i expect the answers to reflect on that. It's not about censoring, but allowing absolutely everything to be said without any questioning whatsoever is ridiculous.

I don't know, if I post stupid shit to start a useless discussion i expect the answers to reflect on that. It's not about censoring, but allowing absolutely everything to be said without any questioning whatsoever is ridiculous.

This thread puts me in a bit of a Crysis!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back