Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [PS4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another things distance foliage on the screen is not the same than the foliage in the jungle level(just a snippet in one of the trailer*) or snow level seen in UC4 video. True 3d foliage...

And I find it much better than foliage in Far Cry Primal...

And I find the Far Cry Primal screen ugly probably not the best choice to promote the visual of the game...

*improved since PSX 2014 demo

Last edited:
@Clukos
The mediocre outdoor lighting in ROTTR is further emphasized when seen next to UC4's, what a difference.
@VFX_Veteran
Also every game uses some amount of sprite cards for foliage, it would be extremely unwise not to use them for the far away distant foliage and most of the foliage in UC4 is 3d rendered anyway.

Of course, but don't make it obvious with a 90-degree bend.

The problem with you is that you're picking off small flaws that are present in every games but totally ignore the amount of things done right in UC4 (or a PS4 game for that matter), when taken everything in to account, UC4's level has far more geometry than Primal's,

Geometry while expensive, is not as expensive as dynamic time of day, and an open sandbox with rendering transparencies all over the place and shading. Remember the FPS hit that the consoles took when walking through the swamps of the Bog in W3?

just count the amount of foliage, complex building structures,

They aren't complex if there is no tessellation.

distant trees on the mountains

Places you actually can't walk to. How is that a comparison?

and more complex shaders in the hair, sweat, muscle deformation, cloth physics, chest hair and the higher poly count of the models. It's true you said no game does eveything right but some game simply does more things right than others.

Almost everything you mentioned is a part of in-game cinematics. Aside form cloth physics (which we have examples of other games doing right i.e. Batman), none of that list is from actual gameplay vids.

Another things distance foliage ont the screen is not the same than the foliage in the jungle level(just a snippet in one of the trailer*) or snow level seen in UC4 video. Trust 3d foliage...

And I find it much better than foliage in Far Cry Primal...

And I find the Far Cry Primal screen ugly probably not the best choice to promote the visual of the game...

*improved since PSX 2014 femo

LOL! We are talking specifically about discrete graphics features. Not whether you like a screenshot or not.

LOL! We are talking specifically about discrete graphics features. Not whether you like a screenshot or not.

And like I said if you compare 3D foliage from UC4 gameplay and Far Cry Primal foliage it is much better in Uncharted 4...

And I see one good screenshot and one ugly screenshot that the only thing I said...

Last edited:
Of course, but don't make it obvious with a 90-degree bend.

Geometry while expensive, is not as expensive as dynamic time of day, and an open sandbox with rendering transparencies all over the place and shading. Remember the FPS hit that the consoles took when walking through the swamps of the Bog in W3?

They aren't complex if there is no tessellation.

Places you actually can't walk to. How is that a comparison?

Almost everything you mentioned is a part of in-game cinematics. Aside form cloth physics (which we have examples of other games doing right i.e. Batman), none of that list is from actual gameplay vids.

Tesselation on distant building is a stupid use of ressource. In rasterization geometry is expensive micropolygon kills GPU efficency...

It is not REYES rendering or path tracing in offline rendering..

Tesselation on distant building is a stupid use of ressource. In rasterization geometry is expensive micropolygon kills GPU efficency...

Exactly, one prime example of this is AC:Unity, again PC all maxed: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8637/15812104596_0d03927ccd_o.png

Look at how low poly the distance building are (like 70-80 meters away from the player)...

Edit: And again notice how civilians (or the chest in the roof, or the chimneys or or or...) don't cast any shadows, and that's a game running on a significantly more powerful machine than a Ps4

Last edited:

Too bad. LOL! Perhaps someday it will get there and actually look good. :) j/k

If you know this, why talk about "complex geometry" then?

Yet another example of incredible draw distance in U4
1qek2h.jpg

I mean, even that thing in the distance, whatever that is, has a shadow
2dvkhi.jpg

Too bad. LOL! Perhaps someday it will get there and actually look good. :) j/k

If you know this, why talk about "complex geometry" then?

It was not me who talk about complex geometry.

I think UC4 is impressive visually among the best. From a visual standpoint if animation, physics, number of animated NPC or draw distance, number of shadow were not important I will not find UC4 more impressive than The Order 1886* out of cutscene.

But I think TO1886 was a bit empty and out of enemies or the important NPC, many NPC were static. The physics was nearly absent..

Market in UC4 as more non ennemies NPC animation than the entire TO1886...

*my most impressive released game

I disagree with both sides. Some appear to be irrational.The Naughy Dog games were no technically marvel games as people like them see them. The Last of Us used tons of sprites even on PlayStation 4. Even big mountains which had a lot of screen space were flat as a picture without any depth. There games had often a static lighting with much prebaked shadows. I cannot see why they should be technically unmatched when other games had way less sprites and more realtime shadows etc. many years before.

Uncharted 4 goes into the right direction with more realtime stuff and much more physics/movable objects (chairs can be moved etc). With this new philosophy it reminds me a lot more on Crysis 2 than the other Uncharted games.

The animations and characters looking very good in Uncharted. But I would not see that this game has the best graphics ever.

I took this screenshot in The Division (not even the highest Settings)
The Division_01 by X-RAY-89, auf Flickr

Even the truck on the street far a way casts shadows. The crane done this also before under other lightening conditions.

Far Cry Primal is (for me) also not that impressive looking game. It is very dense and its a lot better than Far Cry 4. But they cannot impress my with there artistik stuff.

I disagree with both sides. Some appear to be irrational.The Naughy Dog games were no technically marvel games as people like them see them. The Last of Us used tons of sprites even on PlayStation 4. Even big mountains which had a lot of screen space were flat as a picture without any depth. There games had often a static lighting with much prebaked shadows. I cannot see why they should be technically unmatched when other games had way less sprites and more realtime shadows etc. many years before.

Uncharted 4 goes into the right direction with more realtime stuff and much more physics/movable objects (chairs can be moved etc). With this new philosophy it reminds me a lot more on Crysis 2 than the other Uncharted games.

The animations and characters looking very good in Uncharted. But I would not see that this game has the best graphics ever.

I took this screenshot in The Division (not even the highest Settings)
The Division_01 by X-RAY-89, auf Flickr

Even the truck on the street far a way casts shadows. The crane done this also before under other lightening conditions.

Far Cry Primal is (for me) also not that impressive looking game. It is very dense and its a lot better than Far Cry 4. But they cannot impress my with there artistik stuff.

Why do you talk about The Last of Us it is a PS3 title ?

I don't think Naughty Dog are better than other great team, I think they are among the best knowing what they want to achieve and doing like everyone else on the industry, finding the right compromise.

It is like Remedy they achieve a great result with Quantum Break but like everyone they needed to do some compromises...

I'm assuming that's the PC version with PCSS? Much like other Ubisoft titles (or any other game, really) you can see less and less objects casting shadows the further you look, but it's still very impressive being dynamic TOD.

I'm assuming that's the PC version with PCSS? Much like other Ubisoft titles (or any other game, really) you can see less and less objects casting shadows the further you look, but it's still very impressive being dynamic TOD.

And it is clever too. Use the rendering ressources where it is the most important...

The fact that we are comparing U4 with high end PCs for draw distance (something that is cut down in almost every console release) should be a hint as to how impressively ND handle the resources available to them, we'll be here in May with the final game to see how it fares. About baking shadows, kinda hard to bake shadows when every single piece of foliage moves...

Yeah, PCSS is used. Not every object will cast shadows. But there are many (as seen in the picture). Btw. the advantage which The Division has for geometry is, that you can only move slow (no car). The CPU is not so stressed. That makes Uncharted 4s driving scene with all the moving objects in the town for me technically to the most impressive Uncharted sequence which I have seen so far.

EDIT:
The Division is also impressive in both. Scope and detail. And this is an open world environmet where you can go everywhere.

Yeah, PCSS is used. Not every object will cast shadows. But there are many (as seen in the picture). Btw. the advantage which The Division has for geometry is, that you can only move slow (no car). The CPU is not so stressed. That makes Uncharted 4s driving scene with all the moving objects in the town for me technically to the most impressive Uncharted sequence which I have seen so far.

Yes, and also what stood out to me the most was how they handled lod transitions for shadows and objects, very hard to tell what is happening. With that said, i don't think U4 will be the best visual showcase in every single category (no game ever is, you have to sacrifice something to get something, especially in closed systems), what i think it will be is a great visual package and definitely a Ps4 showcase title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back