Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [PS4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess 'Zero G' is another name for slow mo, given that whenever you see Zero G footage, everything is moving slowly. I don't think ultragpu is wanting everyone to float around...
But you know what Shifty, if you ever played the Zero G mode in UC2&3 then imagine the possibility in UC4 especially that E3 demo where the abundance of destruction is causing everything to fly in mid air;).

UC4 in my opinion may end up being the best game ever created EVER!
In both looks and gameplay.

After watching the making of I'm blown away by the amount of detail and work that they have put into making things look proper in action as well as player environment interactivity.

I dunno, it's a bit early to call it that but the gameplay is definitely up there with MGSV for me, which currently is my benchmark for responsive and satisfying TPS gameplay. I think U4 could very well match it, or even beat it after my experience with the beta. I have one concern though, Uncharted is known for its pacing and great story beats, going semi-open world might affect both in a negative way. And that's pretty much it, i know gameplay is polished to an extreme degree and the rope is the best addition in the franchise to date imo :yes:

Oh and the game will get some press coverage in the next few weeks, wondering if we get SP gameplay footage from gamersyde to judge the final IQ of the campaign :)

Last edited:

After watching the making of I'm blown away by the amount of detail and work that they have put into making things look proper in action as well as player environment interactivity.

If the demos of gameplay and graphics are on par with what's been shown lately, I would be in the strongly disagree camp. UC4 seems like it plays very similar to the other UC games. Graphics-wise it's basically on par with what's out now. A lot of PS4 fans love to show the ingame cinematics when touting that UC4 is mind-blowing, but for real -- it's all about what can render on the screen with full control of the camera, which disqualifies any in-game cinematics for judging graphics imo. Animation is incredible in the game though.

If the demos of gameplay and graphics are on par with what's been shown lately, I would be in the strongly disagree camp. UC4 seems like it plays very similar to the other UC games. Graphics-wise it's basically on par with what's out now. A lot of PS4 fans love to show the ingame cinematics when touting that UC4 is mind-blowing, but for real -- it's all about what can render on the screen with full control of the camera, which disqualifies any in-game cinematics for judging graphics imo. Animation is incredible in the game though.
Hardly. We all know UC's cinematics look awesome by default and even more so now that they're real time, but it's the combination of epic set pieces, pristine volumetric lighting, shadow, fog, good use of PBR, the abundance of destruction, extremely dense level of geometry in the environment, high res assets throughout, a good blend of high quality shaders, muscle deformation, very convincing character models and splendid animations that's separating this game from the rest. Sure it might not feature dynamic GI but no game does everything either, what's presented in UC4 conveys a sense of visual awe that's perhaps the most balanced and effective to the perceptive eyes all at native 1080p with good AA and AF. This game may very well deserve the top spot if its in game scene can resemble a concept art in quality such as this.
image_uncharted_4_a_thief_s_end-30961-2995_0002.jpg

Hardly. We all know UC's cinematics look awesome by default and even more so now that they're real time, but it's the combination of epic set pieces, pristine volumetric lighting, shadow, fog, good use of PBR, the abundance of destruction, extremely dense level of geometry in the environment, high res assets throughout, a good blend of high quality shaders, muscle deformation, very convincing character models and splendid animations that's separating this game from the rest. Sure it might not feature dynamic GI but no game does everything either, what's presented in UC4 conveys a sense of visual awe that's perhaps the most balanced and effective to the perceptive eyes all at native 1080p with good AA and AF. This game may very well deserve the top spot if its in game scene can resemble a concept art in quality such as this.

Dynamic GI is not useful when you don't have day and night cycle or weather or time power and a waste of power on console if it is not needed...

Every games do different compromise... Some do good screen space GI like Quantum Break and many post process effect at lower resolution(probaby 900p if it was on PS4) , other do very good GI approximation on the scenery like The Tomorrow Children, some have good weather system like Drive Club or Horizon zero Dawn and so on...

Last edited:

What I am excited about is the possibility to play stealth in combination with Rambo style. They strongly evolved the UC gameplay which had dedicated stealth sections and used gameplay elements from TLOU, where you can break the line of sight once detected and return to stealth.

So in contrast to what VFX says, gameplay changed a lot imo (not even discussing the new dynamics with the rope we get!) and yes, as I said earlier a strong candidate for my new number 1 as well.

PS: btw, where is L.Scofield? Everytime someone says positive things about graphics of a Sony exclusive we have VFX jumping around the corner (check) and typically L.Scofield as well...I am so used to it that I miss him now! Lol?!?

Last edited:
Whoever says gameplay is the same simply hasn't played any of the games. Maybe the best thing about U4 is that they are taking a lot of good stuff from TLOU and using it to improve the Uncharted formula while also improving on what they did previously. Overhauled animation for everything (climbing, walking, contextual, aiming) all help as well as the rope mechanic which adds incredible verticality to the gameplay.

Last edited:
What I am excited about is the possibility to play stealth in combination with Rambo style. They strongly evolved the UC gameplay which had dedicated stealth sections and used gameplay elements from TLOU, where you can break the line of sight once detected and return to stealth.

I loved the combat dynamics of the previous Uncharted games but I adored the choice you had in The Last of Us. A fusion of those gameplay styles and mechanic would be amazing and this is what Bruce Starley and Neil Druckmann said we'd get in this interview with Game Informer.

Whoever says gameplay is the same simply hasn't played any of the games. Maybe the best thing about U4 is that they are taking a lot of good stuff from TLOU and using it to improve the Uncharted formula while also improving on what they did previously. Overhauled animation for everything (climbing, walking, contextual, aiming) all help as well as the rope mechanic which adds incredible verticality to the gameplay.

The AI is overhauled too. And from what we have seen from the PSX 2014 jungle level with good level design, it will be great.

The characters in this shot has completely lost their SSS solution (like pretty much all games except Far Cry Primal), the ears on Drake are painted SSS because you don't see that kind of light bleeding on any of the arms, neck, hands, etc.. or even in his partner. The use of self occlusion is gone (check arms to shirt, or gun to shirt). And while the foliage looks nice, you can still spot them as sprite cards. The wood lacks fine detail (probably due to the texture filtering limitations), tree branches have no tessellation, and the ground becomes muddled the further out you look (indicating much lower res textures). I am more impressed with Far Cry: Primal's foliage jungle and it's in-game SSS solution for the characters (they literally look like most games in-game cinematics although it falters on the in-game character models hands *sigh*).

352DA68F591C44F788A8D3E34D56F53D9B42694A

To me, it's like every game that comes out has 1 aspect of the big picture done right, but not all. Tomb Raider does self-occlusion correctly (i.e. PC version) but then fails at many other things. MGS5 has the best natural lighting I've seen in a game, but other things miss the mark. FC: Primal, Witcher 3, Quantum Break etc.. all have one strong point but misses in others. No one game has all special graphics features so far that I would consider as top in graphics. And that's simply because the hardware isn't there yet.

Last edited:
SSS is definitely present during gameplay, with light transmitting through hair as well (something primal clearly lacks in the picture example you posted)
4cckzo.jpg

Another example on Nate, Sam and the two soldiers in that scene
196kti.jpg

And you can always play this game, of spotting things that are out of place in a game, heck we have a thread dedicated for that sort of stuff. But you will always be missing the whole picture, because searching for what isn't there you're always missing what is there.

One example comparison with RotTR maxed out on my PC (about 4-5x more powerful than a Ps4)

The amount of shadows rendered in each scene, notice how RotTR lacks shadows in the distance from similarly positioned shots?
1wuk0y.jpg

25ok4a.jpg

Now look how many U4 is rendering in the distance
3tujxa.jpg

Why is that happening? Shadows are very expensive to render (in the case of RotTR, perf comparison using a 980ti straight from Nvidia: http://images.nvidia.com/geforce-co...he-tomb-raider-shadow-quality-performance.png), especially for so many objects at a high resolution but U4 is rendering many shadows at a lower resolution and upscalling them using some temporal technique. The result? More shadows on screen and larger draw distance, giving the game a great sense of depth RotTR lacks. That is just one example of how smart use of software can utilize hardware in a more efficient way, not everything has to be brute forced.

Last edited:
@Clukos
The mediocre outdoor lighting in ROTTR is further emphasized when seen next to UC4's, what a difference.
@VFX_Veteran
Also every game uses some amount of sprite cards for foliage, it would be extremely unwise not to use them for the far away distant foliage and most of the foliage in UC4 is 3d rendered anyway. The problem with you is that you're picking off small flaws that are present in every games but totally ignore the amount of things done right in UC4 (or a PS4 game for that matter), when taken everything in to account, UC4's level has far more geometry than Primal's, just count the amount of foliage, complex building structures, distant trees on the mountains and more complex shaders in the hair, sweat, muscle deformation, cloth physics, chest hair and the higher poly count of the models. It's true you said no game does eveything right but some game simply does more things right than others.

SSS is definitely present during gameplay, with light transmitting through hair as well (something primal clearly lacks in the example picture you posted)
4cckzo.jpg

No it isn't. This is just simply not showing any SSS. Look at the cutscenes in UC4 then compare the quality with the in-game models. It's quite obvious. And the hair doesn't have transmittance lobe because it's simply not real hair. There is no self-shadowing in the sprite-like ribbons either. Further showing games have a bit ways to go as far as getting those kinds of 3D features.

And you can always play this game, of spotting things that are out of place in a game, heck we have a thread dedicated for that sort of stuff. But you will always be missing the whole picture.

I'm showing one-off screenshots of games I actually have in my arsenal. If you can show me any screenshot of UC4 gameplay (i.e. when the user has complete control), then let's compare.

One example comparison with RotTR maxed out on my PC (about 4-5x more powerful than a Ps4)

The amount of shadows rendered in each scene, notice how RotTR lacks shadows in the distance from similarly positioned shots?
1wuk0y.jpg

25ok4a.jpg

Now look how many U4 is rendering in the distance
3tujxa.jpg

What is this a trick question? First of all, I see shadows cast on the snow, secondly, it's dark and cloudy.. probably not showing the moon in certain spots (where you would have direct lighting). Thirdly, I'm not sure of the context of that screenshot. The resources on the PC get poured out based on what the user specifies, not based on the company. Also, the more expensive aspect IMO would be getting the occlusion when the foliage is in shadow -- which it fails to do here and RotTR succeeds.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back