PS4 Pro Speculation (PS4K NEO Kaio-Ken-Kutaragi-Kaz Neo-san)

Status
Not open for further replies.
He said "it wouldn't be like opening up the console and upgrading parts in it". That doesn't rule out some sort of external add-on.

Take original console items such as hdmi cable, network cable, external harddrives, external cameras and game controllers from PS4/XO and plug into PS4.5/XO.5.

There, you now have an external add-on for your original console.

Take original console items such as hdmi cable, network cable, external harddrives, external cameras and game controllers from PS4/XO and plug into PS4.5/XO.5.

There, you now have an external add-on for your original console.

??

I'm ready to revise there is no new console generation. Consoles from sony and microsoft will be following similar pattern to mobile phones albeit in 3-4 year cycles or whatever timing provides sufficient jump in computing technology without raising the cost too much.

There will be 2-3 consoles from single manufacturer at the market at any given time. One higher end 399$ model and cheaper 199$ model. And possibly something cheaper or more expensive. Consoles from same manufacturer will be ~compatible with each other and most games will keep running on the latest 2-3 iterations of hardware. If economy gets much better it might be 499, 299 and 149 price points.

Both sony and microsoft will do mid generation refresh to hardware and that will kick start the "new" console cycle. For sony I would guess 12-16GB HBM2 memory, better amd gpu and cpu and cost is around 399$. I would hope for some ssd like storage but that might be optimistic. I wouldn't be surprised if the new architecture would be used for cost reduced "ps4" that is inside even smaller casing.

Microsoft might go full pc with xbox and the hw cycle is completely broken.
I just don't see this working at all, two of the advantages of a console include a relatively straight forward approach to development and low cost. With die shrinks being harder and harder to come by one would imagine that the shrinks would be used to cut cost and in fact lengthen the average console life span not shorten it and then start manufacturing two different SoC's. Secondly another arch to target and optimise for is not something I can see devs queuing up to get behind. I would also have thought there would have been rumours of AMD acquiring another contract etc.

The only way I see something remotely close to this panning out is if next gen consoles supported gsync / freesync type interfaces and then you could sell fully enabled working SoC's at a small premium and do the usual thing of disabling some GPU shaders on the standard SoC for yield reasons. Customers who bought the premium version would be able to enjoy a whole 5% more fps

If 4k rendering for current gen games really is the focus then I see something at minimum gtx 980 level, it's gonna be a pretty expensive console that's for sure. However I also have doubt it could keep up the 4k all gen long, some super tech ambitious game could eventually bring it down to the knee and maybe dial back to 1440p or lower in due time.

seems I was a generation ahead of everyone;

by goonergaz » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:38 am

I'm firmly in the camp of PS3.5 - or PS3D. They will take the current PS3 and beef it up a bit, so it's nice and cheap - imagine a PS4/3D that is around double the power of PS3 and 100% b/c - devs are getting to grips with cell and the power boost will mean more stable frame/rates and 3D.

Essentially the same idea by replace 3D with 4K/PSVR

Back OT I saw this posted on NeoGAF and not here;

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...ystation-4k-is-real-but-why-is-sony-making-it

I'm firmly in the camp of PS3.5 - or PS3D. They will take the current PS3 and beef it up a bit, so it's nice and cheap - imagine a PS4/3D that is around double the power of PS3 and 100% b/c - devs are getting to grips with cell and the power boost will mean more stable frame/rates and 3D.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...ystation-4k-is-real-but-why-is-sony-making-it

It is

It is only for BR UHD and everything linked to HDMI 2.0 it will not be a PS4.5 but a PS4K for video content.

DF offered 3 ways Sony could offer 4K capabilities [all with support for HDMI2.0/HDR/HDCP2.0]:

#1 new 14nm HW
#2 shrink of 28nm to 14nm, but with larger old GCN GPU block [to preserve compatibility]
#3 shrink of PS4 APU to 14nm, no changes, except clocks

Since Klepek mentioned new & better GPU several times in his Kotaku article, I'm leaning toward #1.

Well, you were wrong in 2011 @goonergaz like you'd still be wrong today:
imagine a PS4/3D that is around double the power of PS3
Sony aren't going to release a more powerful PS4.

The DF article about PS4.5 being real is mostly clickbait stuff and guesswork.

New As it's not confirmed a more powerful device, I'll give it it's own thread. My money's still on an improved media version rather than improved hardware, like PS2+.

Which has been suggested by Kaz Hirai before.

Digital Foundry claims the developers are being offered "more GPU power", but it's nowhere near the 4x performance upgrade required to do 4K.
Maybe there's a firmware upgrade granting higher clocks for newer games, like the PSP?

Regardless of a more powerful console a redesign with die shrink must be happening, hvec on the gpu seems very plausible as does hdr and all the other parts for uhd. Hvec encode might also allow game recording / streaming to increase in quality or retain quality and reduce bandwidth. Issues with launch console compatability to consider here.

Somewhere between option 2 and 3,

Would they also look to include the psvr external processor or have it replaced with unlocled gpu cores or gcn upgrade efficiency gains provide the overhead for this, talk of memory compression may make this viable whilst keeping existing memory setup? Ie gains found are used for system tasks or other cost savings as opposed to being passed to developers.

Cheaper and less wires and a nicer package all together. Can be the default sku, a traditional slim release whilst offering 4k, stretch goal of 4k supscale using frame buffer data for higher quality scaling.

Edit: i see function gave a better post about 4k up scaling in the feasibility thread.

or... it could be

Slim PS4K

Have the same spec as the normal PS4. But have the ability to upscale everything to 4K.

So 1080p (or 720p) games will still be rendered at their native resolution, then upscaled to 4K. Native 4K stuff like movies will be delivered at 4K with not upsampling.

What is very important to remember is that Sony have a 'new generation' of TVs and disc medium (the 4K and 4KBluray fad) (ok it's not a fad) (maybe a little) and no PlayStation to go with it. Historically they always had something to use the PS as a Trojan horse. PS3 very much was a big part in establishing Bluray and was part of the beginning of the HD era. PS2 before it, we all know it was all about DVD.

Now PS4 is out and Sony need to attach it to something so that they can sell their other toys, namely new 4K TVs and new 4K Bluray movies. The platform has been amazingly successful, as a gaming platform only. Of course they will be looking to ride the wave and try to sell their other new products through it, like they've done so well in the past. They can't wait until 2020 or whenever PS5 comes out, when the 4K generation of displays is already here, halfway through the gaming generation.

It's all in there guys, between the lines.

What is very important to remember is that Sony have a 'new generation' of TVs and disc medium (the 4K and 4KBluray fad) (ok it's not a fad) (maybe a little) and no PlayStation to go with it. Historically they always had something to use the PS as a Trojan horse. PS3 very much was a big part in establishing Bluray and was part of the beginning of the HD era. PS2 before it, we all know it was all about DVD.

Now PS4 is out and Sony need to attach it to something so that they can sell their other toys, namely new 4K TVs and new 4K Bluray movies. The platform has been amazingly successful, as a gaming platform only. Of course they will be looking to ride the wave and try to sell their other new products through it, like they've done so well in the past. They can't wait until 2020 or whenever PS5 comes out, when the 4K generation of displays is already here, halfway through the gaming generation.

It's all in there guys, between the lines.

What's odd though is that there has been no word from Sony about their own UHD Blu Ray player. Only Samsung and Panasonic.

Plus UHD Blu Ray figures to be a niche, smaller than Blu Ray even.

I don't know how profitable TVs are for Sony these days, I thought Kaz was deemphasizing the TV unit.

But I'd be open to a PS4 which plays UHD Blu Ray, though maybe they can do something like an app. to control the media functions, so you don't have to use a DS4. If they incrementally improve the GPU and CPU, all the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back