Intel igp losing hdmi handshake

Hi,

A bought an Intel nuc (nuc6i3) last week to act as an htpc. The plan is to have it on 24/7 so it can do some transcoding for my parents.

The nuc is connected to my receiver (cheap onkyo HTX35). Obviously when not in use I turn off my tv/receiver. This morning I noticed that after turning on my tv its not getting any signal from the nuc. The nuc is still working and accessible by remote.

Some googling later it turns out this is an intel/hdmi/brilliant engineer design decision. Turning off the tv/receiver makes the nuc lose its hdmi handshake after a while and this doesn’t return until a reboot.

Is there any way to fix this? Seems you can use devcon to reload your gpu driver once in a while but that isn’t exactly a solution as I suppose this isn’t going to work very well if for example I’m watching a movie when devcon reloads the driver. The nuc is running windows 7.

Complain to Intel's support division - assuming they have one. Hopefully they'll fix eventually? ("Hahaha yeah, Good one! Got any more jokes?" :))

I can only find the HTX-35 manual in Japanese, but the line drawings of the system seems to say that it has a "HDMI Thru" indicator light. In which case there should be a setting somewhere (HDMI pass through, power control, active standby, something or other) to power the HDMI switch and route the HDMI inputs to the TV/monitor even when the system is in standby. That might fix issues such as the one you are having.

Complain to Intel's support division - assuming they have one. Hopefully they'll fix eventually? ("Hahaha yeah, Good one! Got any more jokes?" :))

They do. You should go there, its great for comical value in some kind of sick sadistic way. Intel never solves anything and the Intel employees that reply are very consistent in misreading, misinterpreting and giving false information.

You should read the HD audio support thread for the 5th gen nuc devices. Its obviously the hardware supports it, the linux driver even supports it, but Intel just refuses to enable HD audio in the Windows drivers.

I can only find the HTX-35 manual in Japanese, but the line drawings of the system seems to say that it has a "HDMI Thru" indicator light. In which case there should be a setting somewhere (HDMI pass through, power control, active standby, something or other) to power the HDMI switch and route the HDMI inputs to the TV/monitor even when the system is in standby. That might fix issues such as the one you are having.

Because its a Japan only model ;) Anyway its 99% the same as the HTX-25.

Though I think I found the problem. I never had such a problem on my main pc so I started going through all the options on the receiver (its works with CEC off) and switched HDMI cables. Seems my uber cheap 10 meter 5 euros HDMI cable is working just fine while the overpriced piece of crap 1 meter cable I bought at a local store doesn't.

After some more googling I think that cable might be a HDMI 1.3 spec cable, which does seem to cause problems like the one I had. I remember buying it early 2013.

Now that that problem is solved, on to the next one. The NUC crashes after transcoding video for more than 10 minutes... I never had as much problems I had with this NUC in two weeks as I had with all my self built systems over the past decade (excluding problems caused by me hehe).

Also the IR receiver on this thing, though its supposed to support "any" IR remote, my tv's, receiver's and wd live tv remote all don't work.

The build quality of these NUC's looks pretty good but they do have a shitload of problems.

Intel never solves anything and the Intel employees that reply are very consistent in misreading, misinterpreting and giving false information.
This is so sad... This is exactly what happens when companies grow too big, they become incredibly lax and complacent, to the point they're actively hurting their own customers rather than helping them.

So, so sad. Makes me pissed as hell just reading about it. :(

This is unfortunately quite common with HTPCs depending on the GPU, receiver, software in use etc. Ideally the best way to resolve these types of issues is with a HDMI Detective. Basically they sit between your HTPC and the rest of the HDMI chain, record all the HDMI info needed from the display/receiver and tell the HTPC that the devices are still there even when the tv/receiver are turned off.

The other unfortunate part is that the detectives are not cheap devices, but if you use HTPC as your main TV/movies/everything like I do, it's easily worth the investment I made in them 7+ years ago.

Back