Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

Naaaah, I bet Sony called Gamestop in panic: "Oh noes! Our awesome April release date was leaked! Now tell them it's Fall, the suckers won't know what to believe."

Or it's Gran Turismo delaying everything. They never learn, PSVR 2018 confirmed. :runaway:

Naaaah, I bet Sony called Gamestop in panic: "Oh noes! Our awesome April release date was leaked! Now tell them it's Fall, the suckers won't know what to believe."

Or it's Gran Turismo delaying everything. They never learn, PSVR 2018 confirmed. :runaway:
I'm sure its just the lack of games period

Interesting patent from SCE... (excuse me, SIE)
http://www.freshpatents.com/-dt20160128ptan20160025978.php

Dual mode AR/VR glasses with optical pass through and opacity.

It's a sandwich of focusing optics, transparent OLED screen, transparent LCD screen, and "reverse" optics.

The sum of the two optics makes it a pass-through lens to the outside world, and the LCD screen is acting as an alpha channel.

I was hoping for something like "We are still on track for first half 2016" but nooooo, they spoke in the obscure lawyer-dialect with "We have not announced our launch plans".

It's funny how we have leaks for the price from $300 to $1135, and launch anywhere between April and 2017. :runaway:

Last edited:
The weird part is that they actually already announced their plan

'first half of 2016'

Whats weird is that one of their biggest retail partners just said they expect it in fall and not first half of 2016.

I would think with Sony wanting gamestop to carry a product that will in all likely hood be as big or bigger than the ps4 retail packaging , they would have already made contracts with them for shelf space needed within the next 4 months. Because that's all that's left between now and the end of first half of 2016

The biggest issue right now is the third parties requiring motion controllers. They recently got a major delay by oculus until late 2016. Oculus decided to do a soft launch with only a standard controller, but Sony cannot afford this. If they want to bundle the Move, they need those third party games.

I am not too excited by VR as it is now... All the products presented are probably nice but the problem is the interaction with the VR world. PS move is a nice intuitive idea but It think we would need something like leap motion tracking instead.
http://phys.org/news/2016-02-motion-door-virtual-worlds.html
if this works, the only last missing thing would be physical feedback gloves to feel VR objects.

Leap Motion's new software update makes it better than it was, but it's still a fundamentally limited design. Input reliability/consistency is paramount and rigid controllers that are optically tracked from two different vantage points already have their share of problems with occlusion. Leap Motion on the other hand is having to guess where all the bones in both of your hands are from stereo images taken from roughly the same vantage point. It's fun when it works, it's useful maybe as an R&D tool for future prospective VR/AR UI design, but it's no where near robust enough to belong in the same conversation as the upcoming motion controllers. I guess I could maybe see something like it justifying itself for smartphone VR if it's only responsible for very specific gesture recognition to handle some common interface tasks (specifically thinking of the Hololens videos where there's very deliberate, single hand pinching/tapping gestures), but not for anything that involves natural use of the hands where you grab, hold, or manipulate 3D objects.

groundhog-day-driving.jpg

But... he didn't say Autumn, and he didn't say Harvest. He said Fall. It's a fifth season that only exists in america, maybe it's in April?

Back