Doom [2016]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I take it you're talking about the visuals. I highly doubt it's going to look that much different on PC. (Like most multiplatform games these days) The game is being made with a 1080p 60 fps target on consoles, because their priority is resolution and framerate over fidelity. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/doom-dev-we-want-to-be-the-best-looking-game-out-t/1100-6429178/

With that target in mind, I don't think it looks bad. You just have to lower your expectations. :p
Yeah you may be right, I might just have to expect a decent but not spectacular graphical showcase but (hopefully) a damn fun FPS Doom experience. Just the screenshots look better for fidelity and lighting but it's likely just the high speed movement and compressed youtube crap.

Last edited:
Well it's more like Doom 1 + 3 in that the art design is a good mix, there are plenty of enemies and the settings are similar, and it's a no-nonsense shooter with lots of violence.

But I get the point about DNF. We'll see.

I'm getting some disappointing vibes from the footage and trailers so far, but that could be because of how they're trying to market the game rather than how it actually plays.

Visual style looks good, but there's something about the "woah radical" killing QTEs that worries me.

I take it you're talking about the visuals. I highly doubt it's going to look that much different on PC. (Like most multiplatform games these days) The game is being made with a 1080p 60 fps target on consoles, because their priority is resolution and framerate over fidelity. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/doom-dev-we-want-to-be-the-best-looking-game-out-t/1100-6429178/

With that target in mind, I don't think it looks bad. You just have to lower your expectations. :p

The trailer is 60fps, and like the earlier 60fps footage of Doom it showcases a wildly inconsistent in-game framerate.

Content-wise, the game looks like Brutal Doom 3. Something made in the image of a meme impression of Doom, rather than Doom itself.

Why does nobody in the new Trailer have a shadow? Technically I am a but underwhelmed despite the console 1080p 60Hz target :/.

Ever since id tech used megatexture the amount of dynamic shadows have gone down the drain, despite new graphics features in the latest id tech it's still a far cry from Doom 3. I think the aim for 1080/60 also ditched the idea of having expensive dynamic shadows. Personally I prefer 1080/30 with more shadows of course but what's shown so far would suffice graphically for me.

In Doom 3 I was fairly disappointed when I got to the plasma gun : plasma balls weren't a light source, each.
Obviously it was impractical, though I wonder how well it would work with a more modern CPU - Doom 3 was made to run on a Pentium 4 and a Geforce FX, if that.

Even with Doom 3 there were almost no detail settings to tweak, either. Mainly settings to degrade the textures to match your VRAM, or disabling the shadows (better hit "quit" in that case)
It's likely the same there, megatexture games are the prototypical example of games whose appearance depends entirely on the game content, not the settings or GPU.

In Doom 3 I was fairly disappointed when I got to the plasma gun : plasma balls weren't a light source, each.

Obviously it was impractical, though I wonder how well it would work with a more modern CPU - Doom 3 was made to run on a Pentium 4 and a Geforce FX, if that.
They can be modded to be lights on PC, but it's pretty expensive (on the HW at the time), even more so if shadow casting is thrown in (due to massive z-fill) for everything. I'd be curious to see how it'd be if they switched to a deferred renderer along with shadow buffers.

Are we sure that they are still using Megatexture?

AFAIK it's a new engine, written from scratch, by their new lead programmer. Considering the reasonable size of the main memory on current consoles, and the fairly enclosed levels, I'd say it makes little sense to use that technology in the new engine.

I don't think the game would benefit as much from completely unique textures as much as a more open, outdoors game would. Some repetition is expected in a space station/mars base kind of setting anyway. I would be a bit disappointed if they dropped virtual texturing entirely though, especially considering my new 950 only has 2GB of VRAM.

I think that had to do with a little mathematical obsession : textures everywhere (Doom 1&2), lightmaps everywhere (Quake), normal maps everywhere (Doom 3), unique textures everywhere (Rage).

*re-viewing the video* Wow, if fatalities happen to your player too that's really cool :) I hope it's not a trailer-only feature.

*re-viewing the video* Wow, if fatalities happen to your player too that's really cool :) I hope it's not a trailer-only feature.

I question how it will be implemented, and how it will affect the gameplay though. How does it get triggered? Be being too close to a big monster? If so, is it a quick time button press to cancel it? Or do you have to back away quickly enough before the fatality triggers? I'm always wary about games just adding in more shit just because it looks or sounds cool. What I'm wondering is, will it make the game better? In 10+ years will people be likely to still be playing the game, and will fatalities have anything to do with it?

You could have it happen randomly when hit by a monster's melee attack that would have killed you anyway.

In the original games there is an alternate death : lose an incredibly high amount of hit points when you die, then you get horribly gibbed (alternate death scream) and the screen turns red

Last edited:
You could have it happen randomly when hit by a monster's melee attack that would have killed you anyway.

In the original games there is an alternate death : lose an incredibly high amount of hit points when you die, then you get horribly gibbed (alternate death screen) and the screen turns red

Ah, didn't think of that. Good idea.

General info about the game, weapons, enemies, multiplayer modes, general doom stuff:

https://bethesda.net/#en/events/game/22-reasons-to-love-doom-part-1/2016/02/15/76

https://bethesda.net/#en/events/game/22-reasons-to-love-doom-part-2/2016/02/19/79

https://bethesda.net/#en/events/game/22-reasons-to-love-doom-part-3/2016/02/24/82

Gory kill animation:

https://bethesda.net/data/images/event/76/DOOM_Glory-Kill_gif_730x411.gif

Their fidelity goal for Doom:

With the debut of a new DOOM comes a new engine: idTech 6. So what can players expect from idTech 6? “We want players to wonder how DOOM and idTech 6 games can be so visually stunning at 60 frames-per-second at 1080p on all platforms, when other titles cannot even achieve a similar look at 30 frames-per-second,” says Lead Project Programmer Billy Khan. “Our goal is to be the best-looking game at 1080p at 60fps.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back