Rift, Vive, and Virtual Reality

The only thing i really dislike about this is that they are trying to sell a peripheral as a platform...

If there's no merit to their business strategy then you'll be in luck because there'll be many startups willing to invest the bare minimum necessary to deliver your peripheral. In fact you're already in luck because you can buy such devices from Razer and a myriad of chinese copycats. Of course the reality is that you don't want a peripheral, but rather a platform that costs like a peripheral (or a peripheral that's supported like a platform). You want something that someone else has to pay for because you're used to purchasing products that ship millions of units rather than 10s of thousands. You want something that's cheap as though it were made from off the shelf parts, but you want the quality level of something that's bespoke. We had $300-350 HMDs made entirely from off the shelf parts for the last 3 years and guess what? They're shoddy and rough around the edges and can't be purchased without a buyer-beware notice.

http://allthingsd.com/20130606/ocul...s-progress-price-and-limitations-qa-part-one/

Luckey: I’m one of the few people where it’s different. I would spend whatever it was. Gamers are not known to be the most affluent population of people. If something’s even $600, it doesn’t matter how good it is, how great of an experience it is — if they just can’t afford it, then it really might as well not exist. We’re going for the mainstream, but time will tell what the market is.

I think the price will go down fairly soon. I'm just disappointed as I was planning to get one day one, and this seemed to be coming out so soon. Now I'll definitely wait until I get some good impressions from others, and take a risk that I will have to wait longer.

I'm in the same boat. I was intending to be a day 1 owner but I come home from work to find it's already sold out and apparently deliveries are now not expected until MAY!! Not exactly an early adopter if you get it two months after launch even if you pre-order on day one :(

And that's before I consider the price of £500 here in the UK which is certainly above my highest expectations. If I could still get it in March though then I'd certainly be tempted.....

On a brighter note, I notice no-one has mentioned the new Oculus Remote that's shipping with the headset. Seems to be a basic motion controller (on par with a single move controller I'd imagine) that can be used for controlling the interface in a point and click fashion and apparently, for games.

Also, I've not seen this game, possibly an Oculus launch exclusive discussed anywhere:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/12/15/10123798/crytek-the-climb-virtual-reality-oculus-rift-game

This
XuMUZkV.png

Is also gold :LOL:

The problem is, it has sold out at that price. So from Oculus point of view, it's obviously the right one. Hopefully once supply is no longer outstripping demand (whenever the hell that might be) the price will come down. But as long as they can sell them as fast as they can make them at that price then why not charge that much. Hell, I bet you'll find them selling for even more on ebay at the end of March.

I'm certainly not a fan of the price at all, but it's hardly a bad business decision. At least not yet...

knipseldxsf8.png

Turning against consoles now, his twitter is a goldmine. Surprised nobody told him to shut up already :LOL:

To be fair I've been wanting a wireless XBO pad for a while and they're crazy expensive with the adapter. If I'm getting one subsided from Oculus with this package then it makes me pretty happy!

Oh yes, i am sure it's convenient for some people. But i'd like the option without it since i already have a controller (actually more like 4) for PC.

He's acting like a spoiled brat.

The AMA will either be handled by a PR team or it's going to be fun to watch.

If by "Candid" you mean "being an ass about it" then you probably shouldn't apply for a PR position.

Yeah I don't think PR is something I'd get on with. I tend to dislike people who sugar coat or spin everything and hide the truth. I guess people really want a McDonalds society. "Have a nice day!"

edit> Ah, I'm tired and possibly cranky. Perhaps you're right and his not putting up with moaning is simply something I can appreciate just now. I don't want people to be an ass to each other, but I also really don't think what he said was actually upsetting or intended to upset either.

Last edited:
Preordered! I'm excited to try the rift, vive, and ps vr. VR + finfet gpus should equal a fun 2016. I have high hopes!

Back