All purpose Sales and Sales Rumors and Anecdotes [2016 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRiT

(>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
Legend
Supporter
The purpose of this thread is to serve as a place to discuss sales numbers, rumors, and anectdotes for current console hardware and software.

Old thread here.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the arrival of the New Xbox One Experience with Backward Compatibility and the most critically-acclaimed fall lineup of exclusives ever on Xbox*, you set new records for global engagement on Xbox Live this holiday. On Dec. 28 there were more gamers using Xbox Live than any other day in Xbox history, and the number of hours spent gaming on Xbox One and Xbox 360 during Christmas week 2015 were up compared to last year**. Thanks to you, Xbox One continues to outpace Xbox 360 at the same point in time in the Xbox 360 generation, making it the best-selling console in Xbox console history.

http://news.xbox.com/2016/01/04/greatest-games-extends-to-2016/

"On Dec. 28 there were more gamers using Xbox Live than any other day in Xbox history". That old chestnut? Still, at least we have a relative metric. How many 360s were sold at this point in its life, and XB1 is some amount (probably not lots) more than that.

That is not a flattering stat for Halo 5.

Lowest common denominator. Of the 4 titles one had at least 1 million sales. You have a 25% chance of figuring it out.

BTW, can we have a link back to the old thread stickied in the OP? Thanks.

Tommy McClain

Sold to who, the stores or people?

Most likely sold in, as sold to retailers.

Back in the more "transparent" days, Microsoft used to give reports like these
Halo 2 sold through 2.4 million units in its first 24 hours of North American release, Microsoft announced today. That adds up to $125 million in gross receipts, giving Bungie's latest Xbox project a place in the record books for both games and the entertainment industry at large.

Notice the sold through part. That means sold to customers.

If latest PR piece is correct, for example Tomb Raider had a huge sales in december, more then double the november sales. Not impossible and while as a modern tomb Raider fan I hope it's true, most likely it ain't. Retailers must have a lot of copies and recent sales would suggest that is the case. We might get more info on next NPD and Square-Enix quaterly report in early next month.

"On Dec. 28 there were more gamers using Xbox Live than any other day in Xbox history". That old chestnut? Still, at least we have a relative metric. How many 360s were sold at this point in its life, and XB1 is some amount (probably not lots) more than that.

Seeing as EA/UBI has suggested that PS4/XB1 will have a combined worldwide userbase of 52-53 million units by years-end (2015). Then more than likely this would put XB1 between 18-19 million units sold-through. I believe XB360 was at ~11 million by the end of 2007 (November 2005 launch). So, yes the XB1 is doing better (way better) than XB360 if my figures are correct for XB360.

Huh?

They all achieved more than 1 million unit sales. Each.

That sounds quite low for a Halo 5 title... especially coming off a holiday season, and being a triple A title.

Last edited:
Sold to who, the stores or people?
For Tomb Raider, we have most of November sales in the US, UK and France totaling ~300k for XB1/X360 combined. So unless the rest of the world plus December sales are more than 3x that number, then it's most likely sold to retailers (or sold-in). Even if you factor in bundle and digital sales, I don't think they sold-through over 1M IMO, especially if they're excluding X360 sales. If Tomb Raider sells higher than expected in NPD's December report, then I might believe that it's sold-through. And by higher than expected, I mean around what is sold in November or more.
Seeing as EA/UBI has suggested that PS4/XB1 will have a combined worldwide userbase of 52-53 million units by years-end (2015). Then more than likely this would put XB1 between 18-19 million units sold-through. I believe XB360 was at ~11 million by the end of 2007 (November 2005 launch). So, yes the XB1 is doing better (way better) than XB360 if my figures are correct for XB360.

That sounds quite low for a Halo 5 title... especially coming off a holiday season, and being a triple A title.
According to Welfare at GAF, the X360 was at 17.7M shipped as of the end of 2007.

Last edited:
For a bunch of guys who love to talk numbers, you're reading comprehension is lacking. Microsoft wanted to show that their exclusive advertising campaign did well for the holiday season & they wanted to trumpet a high number for each of their 4 titles. Halo could have sold 5 million but I suspect the others didn't sell the same. They could only trumpet that each of the sold at least 1 million. And when I always see sold numbers I always assume to retailers unless they say "sold through". What's so hard to understand?

Tommy McClain

It's corporate PR, its always hard to decipher. Stuffing the channels with lots of unsold bundles and games will also get 1m in "sales", but I would hardly call that a win for the holiday advertising campaign.

"More than"

We know Halo 5 is much higher, in fact it sold more than 1 million in the U.S. alone. (Probably over 2m now)

It's corporate PR, its always hard to decipher. Stuffing the channels with lots of unsold bundles and games will also get 1m in "sales", but I would hardly call that a win for the holiday advertising campaign.

Who is talking about a win with those? Certainly not I & don't think Microsoft is either. It did well, not great or spectacular. It certainly could have been a lot better, but it could have been a lot worse too. Anyway, it's just another data point to help embellish their other main numbers: Live Users. Remember they are more about Live users & time spent online than purely console sales. And when was channel stuffing something new? It's done all the time. Usually it always comes back to haunt them later. We'll know more once the earnings report for the quarter ending in March is released.

Tommy McClain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back