Best looking games of 2015 *spawn

What game had the best graphics in 2015?

• Total voters

Clukos

Bloodborne 2 when?
Veteran
Supporter

Pretty good list.

Mod: The contents of the poll come from this vid and subsequent nominations. Feel free to nominate any other title and I'll add it. Voters can change their vote.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. #1 spot is well deserved, IMO nothing even came close to the spotless presentation and CGI quality [not even near-CGI, it was true CGI-like :D] that never showed faults with transitions between game and cinematics. Tremendous artistic and technical success, shame the game and narrative left few things to be desired...

5. Until Dawn
4. Batman Arkham Knight
3. Rise of the Tomb Raider
2. Star Wars Battlefront
1. The Order 1886

EDIT: LOL I Hadn't seen the right ranks, I thought Until dawn was first.

#2 is a good place for Battlefront. It's MP focus gave it only the opportunity to showcase crazy environments, while Order was the full "game package" with tons of different environments, characters, char interactions, cinematics, etc. [Plus, Order is indeed a visually better game. :D ]
Only a very sick and twisted individual could think TO is more of a game than BF.

1) TO: Tiny, static, uneventful environments. 30 fps.
2) BF: Large, dynamic, action packed environments. 60fps.

Yep, TO wins :LOL:

Edit: I'd also put Just Cause 3 in the ranking.

I agree with TO in #1 as well. In comparison to BF:

Better material shaders (best use of PBR so far in real-time in a game. Paper shader alone in TO is more complex than anything in BF)
Better character models (rendering and polys)
Both use baked lighting techniques
TO is using better/more expensive AA than BF, handles aliasing much better in stills & motion (cleanest looking game in 2015)
Better animation etc.

Both offer very little interactivity with the environment but both look great for what they do and both offer great performance. Very deserved #1/#2 imo.

I agree with TO in #1 as well. In comparison to BF:

Better material shaders (best use of PBR so far in real-time in a game. Paper shader alone in TO is more complex than anything in BF)
Better character models (rendering and polys)
Both use baked lighting techniques
TO is using better/more expensive AA than BF, handles aliasing much better in stills & motion (cleanest looking game in 2015)
Better animation etc.

Both offer very little interactivity with the environment but both look great for what they do and both offer great performance. Very deserved #1/#2 imo.

I agree. I think the two games are by far the two best looking games of 2015...

I am not sure The Order 1886 material shader will be topped in 2016...

I'd vote for Battlefront. The Endor level looks remarkable. I'm not sure I can think of a 30fps game that matches it.

Please do NOT inline any graphics into this thread. This is not a screen shot thread. Instead post them as URL links.

The decision on the aspect ratio for The Order was made long before the PS4 specs were even defined - it was made most definitely for artistic reasons (it is clear some people have an issue with that decision, and I certainly respect that, all I am stating is that it was deliberate to achieve a specific visual style).

Are there performance benefits to it? Of course - fewer pixels need to be rendered! The benefit, however, is relatively small because the biggest offenders when it comes to taxing the GPU are not typically related to fill rate (not in our case, at least). In the PS3 days, which was very fill rate bound, the benefit of the black bars would have been much bigger, with the PS4 not as much.

I would say that a version of TO without the black bars would have been pretty much indistinguishable from the version shipped, as far as performance/image quality are concerned (different story artistically, of course :) ). A few tweaks here and there with certain dynamic effects would have been all the adjustment needed.

Interesting post by the CTO of Ready at Dawn

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=191125296

Obviously talk is cheap. They will need to include that option in a released patch for the game to negate the criticisms.

It doesn't need to, TO makes great use of the super-wide aspect ratio.

It doesn't need to, TO makes great use of the super-wide aspect ratio.
By having a tiny FOV.

As always the problem with these kinds of threads is the lack of nuance. In regards to TO I agree that the surface shaders are the best but the overall package is lacking. For a game of such tiny scope I'd expect to see dynamic GI for the main characters flashlights or some other advanced tech like that. Failing that, to run at 60fps. And yet, nothing.

Shaders are less complex in BF but it runs at 60fps with huge photorealistic player-traversable environments.

Just Cause 3 has even bigger environments, with dynamic GI and destruction.

Taking into account the PC versions there's no comparison with console games, really.

This is such a hugely subjective question, it's not worth debating. "Best looking" is measured by one's own preferences. For some, it's technical merit including open world. For others it's photorealism and aesthetics. Personally I've seen Just Cause and wouldn't rate it best graphics because it looks completely like a computer game and lacks anything beyond technical merit as an open world game IMO. I'd cite a game with photorealism, my measure being 'realstically or artistically removed from looking like a video game.' Opinions like Scofield's are very different from my own and always will be.

Hence I suggest people just post their preferences and leave it at that. Might even add a poll as a sbujective measure of what gamers prefer.

If you've a nomenation not on the list, post it and I'll add.

Last edited:
Back