Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

What? Seriously? Then it's much better investment if you have powerful pc too instead of the locked morpheus
Ummm...why would anyone looking at PC for VR consider PSVR? If you own a PC and no PS4, PSVR is a dumb idea. If you have an X1, PSVR is a dumb idea. If you own an X1 and PC, PSVR is a dumb idea. Only if you own PS4, X1 and PC does OVR for X1 make a difference, but then you'll be playing VR on your PC obviously because it's experience will be much better than X1's.

Announcement of OVR for X1 has no impact on PSVR even if it turns out to be true.

That French PSVR listing is old, I remember it got reported on GAF around the time of Gamescom or PGW. I would not look too much into that temp page.

That's why I said if you have powerful pc. Without powerful pc, it's better to play on Xbox or ps4. Because the cost of powerful pc alone is very high

I really hope they have some good support for watching movies as well, both proper VR and existing 3D bluray movies. I have quite a few and would be interesting to see how the 3D experience is. Watching some 3D YouTube clips on my phone with Homido VR worked quite well.

I really hope they have some good support for watching movies as well, both proper VR and existing 3D bluray movies. I have quite a few and would be interesting to see how the 3D experience is. Watching some 3D YouTube clips on my phone with Homido VR worked quite well.

Would this even be possible (existing 3d bluray movies) given the differences in how the 3d effect is achieved?

What difference? VR is basically a superset of static 3D displays ...

3D movies can be played perfectly well in VR enviroments [DK1/DK2 cinema apps proved it].
This.

Due to how stereo 3D was created it will have same problems in VR as it has in real life.
It works in well small area in front of the TV and tilting head breaks the effect. (happily crosstalk isn't a problem with VR.)

Really hope lightfield will catch on as it will fix a lot of the problems, even if it is not full 360 projection. (just a 'window' to a movie would be great.)

What difference? VR is basically a superset of static 3D displays ...

3D movies can be played perfectly well in VR enviroments [DK1/DK2 cinema apps proved it].

Glad to hear it's not an issue, I'll very much look forward to watching my 3D movies on the headset (although the resolution does worry me). However my understand of how each works is:

TV 3d - the left and right eye frames alternate on the same screen while glasses block every other frame to each eye in sequence meaning that each eye see's every other frame sequentially allowing your brain to combine them into a 3d image.

VR - the left and right eyes are fed different viewpoints of the same scene simultaneously, so both eyes see every single frame with each frame containing two images. ALso the image is rendered in a distorted fashion which is undestorted by the headset optics.

So my questions would be, how would the alternate frame delivery of a bluray 3d work with a headset that expects simultaneous frame delivery from two different viewpoints on the same screen. And how would the image distortion work? I assume the movie would have to be distorted in real time before being sent to the headset?

The way I understand it, 'regular' 3D material is recorded and fed to the TV as a very wide 'double' image with the two view points stitched next to each other and sent to the TV at the same time (at 24p for movies and more for games). The TV then deconstruct the image and separates the frame in two, and shows them accordingly in sync with the glasses (for active 3D). The passive 3D ones interlace the two view points instead of alternating them as with the active sets.

So, the material will be sent the same way to a 3D headset which then would deconstruct each viewpoint to be show by each side of the screen.

The way I understand it, 'regular' 3D material is recorded and fed to the TV as a very wide 'double' image with the two view points stitched next to each other and sent to the TV at the same time (at 24p for movies and more for games). The TV then deconstruct the image and separates the frame in two, and shows them accordingly in sync with the glasses (for active 3D). The passive 3D ones interlace the two view points instead of alternating them as with the active sets.

So, the material will be sent the same way to a 3D headset which then would deconstruct each viewpoint to be show by each side of the screen.

Ah got it thanks, yes that makes sense now that you mention it.

The way I understand it, 'regular' 3D material is recorded and fed to the TV as a very wide 'double' image with the two view points stitched next to each other...
You're right, except there's more than one way to pack 3D data. In HDMI 1.4a there's side by side, top to bottom (every other frame for other eye) and framepacked (whatever that is).

There are multiple ways to store 3d video and to display them.

Storage example: video recorded side by side inside 1080p frame (the half left for right eye, the right half for left eye).

Display example: alternate frames for active 3D. Alternate scanlines for passive 3d (both picture for left and right eyes displayed at the same time).

For VR 3D video, they simply display however the video was stored to independent left - right eye.

Personally I use cardboard VR with 1080p display at 5.9" and the videos looks awesome in 3d in virtual cinema. It's sharp. It looks really 3d. The colours also awesome. Too bad my vr solution have chromatic aberrations. Probably can be reduced with more careful cardboard settings but too lazy.

But the audio is severely lacking positional properties.

That is one thing I would hope Sony to get right - good 5.1 to binaural simulation. Many of the VR demo videos I've watched already have it. A SNL 40 year anniversary one for instance had it and I could hear almost exactly where the person who was speaking from the audience was, great stuff.

Except in VR you will always see it at the perfect angle.
Yes, if the vr-room is set properly viewer is in the sweet spot.

It doesn't make difference for the tilting problem though, the image is really only good in 2 points of space further you rotate or move the worse it will be.
You could separate the depth information from parallax of the 2 images and use it to re-project, but not sure how well it would hold up. (Or how fast it would be.)

Yep, but for watching normal video I would just keep the image exactly in front of you at all times.

Back