Image Quality and Framebuffer Analysis for Available/release build Games *Read the first post*

But it's not off as Shifty pointed out.

All I'm saying it's not fair to say that they probably turned it off to hit a 1080p target when we don't know what exactly is going on.
Well if it is there it is there. If it is not, either it was an accidental omission or a conscious choice for performance issues. We dont know.

But not sure which is the most accurate version...

Obviously the more accurate version is the one which has Global Illumination turned on, since, when you turn on the "Global Illumination" setting in the PC version, it looks exactly like the Xbox One version.

So, the PS4 version is the odd one here, since it is missing Global Illumination.

We should really be deferring to video.

Well, then just look at the following video:

At 01:25 min it shows the PC version with the "Global Illumination" setting set to "on" (left side) and set to "off" (right side).

The PS4 version looks exactly like the PC version with the "Global Illumination" setting set to "off".

And the Xbox One version looks exactly like the PC version with the "Global Illumination" setting set to "on".

So, the Xbox One version has Global Illumination turned on, whereas the PS4 version has Global Illumination turned off.

Simple as that.

It really baffles me that nobody noticed that before and that even Digital Foundry missed it. It is so obvious. The PS4 version looks really flat and dark. The PC version and Xbox One version (with Global Illumination turned on) look a lot more colorful and lively compared to the PS4 version, especially in motion.

Now the question remains: Why is Global Illumination disabled on PS4?

If the Xbox One version can handle it, then PS4 should surely be able to handle it as well?

Also, it's still baffling why the heat haze effect is completeley missing on consoles.

Just Cause 2 did have the heat haze effect on consoles. In Just Cause 3 it's completely missing from the consoles. Only the PC version has it.

Last edited:
Not to play devil's advocate, but seeing how totally minimal the effect seems to be, if it can save them some little rendering time, then good riddance to this implementation of GI. I can't even really see it on those screens, zooming in, apart from the most glaring and over the top parts, which can look a bit unrealistic.

I don't see what the huge deal is.

And if it is present, just made less obvious and even harder to see, what is the point of having it at all?? It's not like this is the kind of game where you're going to look at the characters trousers to see if it has an imperceptible glow coming from what's just under it. No, you blow up stuff, blow up more stuff, and the game already has enough framerate issues as it is! Cut it out, I say.

Not to play devil's advocate, but seeing how totally minimal the effect seems to be, if it can save them some little rendering time, then good riddance to this implementation of GI. I can't even really see it on those screens, zooming in, apart from the most glaring and over the top parts, which can look a bit unrealistic.

I don't see what the huge deal is.

And if it is present, just made less obvious and even harder to see, what is the point of having it at all?? It's not like this is the kind of game where you're going to look at the characters trousers to see if it has an imperceptible glow coming from what's just under it. No, you blow up stuff, blow up more stuff, and the game already has enough framerate issues as it is! Cut it out, I say.
Since when is not having GI not a huge deal or minimal the effect? Having proper lighting makes things look more realistic. Assuming the PS4 doesn't have GI because of performance issues, then maybe they should have run the game at 900p like the Xbox instead of pushing 1080p at all costs. If even ND chose UC4 MP at 900p/60 for pixel quality over quantity, then it should be clear what the priorities are for other developers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_illumination I would choose to have GI at 900p over no GI at 1080p any time.

Since when is not having GI not a huge deal or minimal the effect? Having proper lighting makes things look more realistic. Assuming the PS4 doesn't have GI because of performance issues, then maybe they should have run the game at 900p like the Xbox instead of pushing 1080p at all costs. If even ND chose UC4 MP at 900p/60 for pixel quality over quantity, then it should be clear what the priorities are for other developers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_illumination I would choose to have GI at 900p over no GI at 1080p any time.
You should read the posts; PS4 has GI, it's just broken. No need to lower resolution.

If even ND chose UC4 MP at 900p/60 for pixel quality over quantity, then it should be clear what the priorities are for other developers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_illumination I would choose to have GI at 900p over no GI at 1080p any time.
In what bizarro universe do you live in? UC4 MP has far worse pixel quality than SP 1080/30 across the board, worse models, lower res textures, less geometry density, less shading quality, less post processing effects and less destructive environment. MP is a prime example of sacrificing pixel quality for fps quantity. But if MP features some new graphics techniques that's absent in the SP then it's a different story, however it's clearly not the case here.

The funny things is people imagining than AF or bug of GI is a problem with the power of the GPU or memory bandwith most of the time after a fix it was just a bug

Regarding temporal stability of Uncharted 4, 2 gifs from the MP beta:
https://giant.gfycat.com/BackAlertBantamrooster.gif
https://giant.gfycat.com/ImpossibleMerryBlueandgoldmackaw.gif

Incredible results for 900p. Even though i didn't like that slight sharpening pass. I don't like sharpening in any game.
Looks good. They should use a 1st person view for the MP mode, using that engine, or better, make a standalone game using a first person view. Gameplay wise it'll ideally look like an improved Half life spiritual successor with a MP mode.

Maybe their next franchise after TLOU2 will be something like this. Give us Half life 3! :yes:

Looks good. They should use a 1st person view for the MP mode, using that engine, or better, make a standalone game using a first person view. Gameplay wise it'll ideally look like an improved Half life spiritual successor with a MP mode.

Maybe their next franchise after TLOU2 will be something like this. Give us Half life 3! :yes:
This is all this post was about wasn't it?

Half Life 3 confirmed

It's going to be a mobile mini-game with micro transactions

People's new years resolution, besides 900p apparently, should be not to use GIFs but WebM or whatever. ;)

People's new years resolution, besides 900p apparently, should be not to use GIFs but WebM or whatever. ;)
here here, my testing shows they're ~10x smaller file sizes (I sometimes look at this site on mobile). Gif's should only be allowed for A vs B comparisons, not short films, perhaps in future mods can just delete any gif's and insert a message (use webm)

Hardware rivals just came out Ps4/PS+, it's using UE4 and i think it's also using the UE4 TAA, very clean looking game at 1080p60
hardware_rivals_20160l8lud.png

Hardware rivals just came out Ps4/PS+, it's using UE4 and i think it's also using the UE4 TAA, very clean looking game at 1080p60
hardware_rivals_20160l8lud.png
well, if clean means a steril and blurry looking game, then yes. Or do you mean just "pixel"-clean.
What's the problem with those alpha effects near the wheels/engine? Is this just the compression of the picture or are these artifacts in the game? The smoke (or whatever this is) looks really clunky. But maybe it is just the art style.

Back