Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2015]

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are really four options:
1) removed intentionally because of performance
2) removed intentionally because it was bugged
3) included but bug prevents it from showing
4) unintentionally shipped without feature

Option 1 really isn't likely at all. Option 2 doesn't make a lot of sense. The game has already been patched, I think. Not sure what the issue would be. My guess is 3 or 4.

5. Lazy Devs.

In the grand scheme of things, I don't think GI is really a big deal.
GI as a technique is a huge thing! It's the core of realistic lighting. We've been faking it for as long as 3D has existed in games, using flat 'ambient light' and then all sorts of other hacks. Games that fake it very well look more and more real. It's definitely something wanted in games. From the images, I think JC3 has it set too high, and halving the intensity would make all the difference for believability. However, the other lighting solutions already incorporate elements of reflected light via whatever solution, so as I said before it's not that PS4 lacks any secondary illumination and so it still manages to look fairly solid without the additional realtime GI feature. Ultimately we want to see all three versions with the GI solution in effect only toned down from the current implementation.

Which does present another option for our ever increasing list - that the devs were undecided whether the visuals were better with or without GI, so decided to release versions (chosen at random?) with and without and see which people bitched about the most...

@Shifty Geezer I understand why GI is a big deal in general, I just think in this particular game, it's not making a really big difference in the visuals. Hell, basically no one noticed it was missing on PS4, and even then we needed screenshots to prove it in side-by-side comparisons. I'm more curious about the impact it would have to fix the issue on PS4.

I agree in this game it's not really a game changer. It's kinda like some extra grass or particles in terms of impact between different versions.

As for GI, which is better and whatnot, it's one of those features I like the most in games. The absence of it in JC3 -in some instances on PC according to DF, and PS4, judging from images- is a big win for the X1 version, which in turn seems to be a complete disaster in other regards, sadly. But GI is a must in games like Quantum Break or JC3, it makes everything look more believable.

Please learn to read.

Nowhere does the Digital Foundry Just Cause 3 Face-Off article say that Global Illumination would be absent in some instances on PC.

The PC version is not missing anything. However, the Global Illumination in the PC version does have a bug. When Global Illumination is turned on in the PC version, objects which are being lit by the Global Illumination sometimes start to flicker.

The bug can be seen in the following video:

At around 00:15 min, you can see that the vehicle is starting to flicker. That is what Digital Foundry is referring to in it's article regarding the PC version. And AFAICT this only happens when Global Illumination is turned on and only on objects which are being lit by the Global Illumination.

But there's nothing missing in the PC version.

So, the PC version has a bug with Global Illumination and the PS4 version does have a(nother) bug with it as well.

On PC it's randomly flickering and on PS4 it's randomly appearing/disappearing.

I am wondering if the Xbox One version also has bugs regarding Global Illumination or if it is working fine in the Xbox One version.

NEXT UPDATE:

I found another video which compares all three versions and also shows the Global Illumination bug of the PS4 version.

At around 00:55 min, the video is showing the scene where Rico is standing in front of the blue helicopter.

If you look at the front of the helicopter, you can see that there is Global Illumination in the PC and Xbox One version, since the blue front of the helicopter is being lit by the Global Illumination.

However, when the PS4 version is being shown, the Global Illumination is randomly appearing and disappearing (look at the front of the helicopter where the lamp of the helicopter is):

It might be worth noting though, that the Global Illumination in the PS4 version never ever seems to appear on Rico himself. His trouser, his arms, his weapons, they never seem to be lit by the Global Illumination in the PS4 version. Only on other objects throughout the gameworld the Global Illumination seems to randomly appear (and disappear).

The problem with the GI implementation in JC is that the GI resolution is probably very low, thus on some occasion it can look unnatural. When I see the glowing hand, I thought the GI one lacked shadow (of course that wasn't the case).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back