DirectX 12: The future of it within the console gaming space (specifically the XB1)

If someone wonders why the G-buffer only uses 18 MB of ESRAM, the answer is: we are doing lighting, post processing, VT page generation and particle rendering using async compute in the background. Only culling + g-buffer draws + shadow draws are in the render pipeline. Everything else is async compute. This gives us huge perf gains. Unfortunately I had only a 25 minute slot, meaning that I had to remove all my async compute slides.

If it's not too much to ask Sebbbi, is it possible to post those cut async compute slides as well? I guess things should be more open to discuss now about DX12, I was speaking with @Max McMullen about Multi-Adaptor, and how iGPU mixed with dGPU, DX12 can have the dGPU to signal the iGPU to do work when it's done. But not mentioned in those slides is that during our chat he mentioned that the GPU if the developer chose to, could signal the CPU for the next step in the pipeline.

I'm wondering if it's possible using async compute to have a core listening for those signals from the GPU to make an async call back to the gpu? This is a round about way of having a GPU issue its own draw calls?

Jez: I still see comments across social media and on articles that debate the effect DX12 will have on the Xbox One. Given that there still seems to be some on-going confusion about the potential benefits DX12 will bring, could you explain what it will or won't do for the Xbox One?

Mike: Any new graphics capabilities we add in Windows will help developers, it just depends on the type of game you're creating. With Xbox One, we took DX11 and added a lot of extensions on top of that so that developers could get the most performance out of that fixed hardware. From launch, and frankly every time we update the XDK more benefits come out. On the generic Windows side, DX12 is doing a lot of that same thing for general hardware. Enabling developers to get higher level visuals or better effects into their games. So, a lot of the benefits are in Xbox One today, we do expect to see some incremental benefits, but really it's up to the game developers to work on that and realise the benefits or not depending on how the titles use those calls. Nobody should expect DX12 to have that dramatic of an impact.

http://www.windowscentral.com/exclusive-interview-xbox-one-platform-lead-mike-ybarra

So no 4k60 fps with a Dx12 Enabled™ Xbox One? :no:

No but seriously, API hype marketing must be one of the dumbest things in the console industry the last few years, right after "The Power of the Cell™"

Last edited:
ktb8_untitled.jpg

http://www.slideshare.net/jaimer/windows10-gamedevoverviewexcludingvideos

I think MS highly customized the SoC: hardware memory coherency CPU-GPU, 32 MB ESRAM, move engines (compression), SHAPE and AXI bridge for audio, two graphics command processor, two compute command processors, and finally, they claimed to have "highly customise the command processor". If MS can add these features and they create DirectX 12, I am not surprised at all if it also support FL 12.1 and that AMD will bring FL 12.1 to their 2016 GPUs.

well, that confirms xbox one is feature level 12.1
so why is the GCN 1.0/1.1 not at feature level 12.1? Should be almost the same chip.

There's clearly some dodgy accounting going on there. We know that the XBO GPU doesn't natively support either Conservative Rasterization or ROVs in hardware which are requirements for FL12_1. If Microsoft are trying to claim that it does then it's only via some convoluted semi-emulated method which certainly all GCN1.1 GPU's would also support.

I think MS highly customized the SoC: hardware memory coherency CPU-GPU, 32 MB ESRAM, move engines (compression), SHAPE and AXI bridge for audio, two graphics command processor, two compute command processors, and finally, they claimed to have "highly customise the command processor". If MS can add these features and they create DirectX 12, I am not surprised at all if it also support FL 12.1 and that AMD will bring FL 12.1 to their 2016 GPUs.

While all of this may be true and some of these types of updates may be incorporated into future GPUs, it's also fair to say that none of these changes are transformative. As demonstrated by the performance of the Xbox One.

Anyone expecting increases in capability of the Xbox One beyond the usual incremental updates as the hardware and knowledge matures, will be sorely disappointed.

And besides, as @pjbliverpool suggests; there are hardware features of FL12.1 that the Xbox One simply doesn't have.

well, that confirms xbox one is feature level 12.1
so why is the GCN 1.0/1.1 not at feature level 12.1? Should be almost the same chip.
I'm pretty sure that XBO is only FL12. I've heard conflicting reports by MS employees on whether it is or isn't, but having said that, pretty sure it isn't.

The slide is representational and not meant to be a data sheet. FAIRLY positive! Like 98% with a 2% margin of error that is it not FL12_1.

Edit: lol Al. Allandor you can check my post history for the information you seek

Last edited:
Back