Gfx benchmarking for photo editing

Hello,

I am new member here at Beyond3D. Pardon if this topics was already discussed before. I am a photo enthusiast and was looking to compare photo editing results on various devices (Say PC vs Phone vs Tablet).

My idea was to install lightroom in each device and perform common operations supported in all of them (like noise cancellation, brightness/saturation etc) and convert the raw image to JPEG after that.

Would this be good enough to compare quality (image quality produced) and performance (JPEG compression) between devices? If not what is the best suggested method.

any help appreciated.

As long as lightroom is available on all platforms, then the broad answer is yes. I certainly question whether Adobe has optimized all platforms equally, but I would expect all of the tasks to be the roughly the same.

Thanks Ryan.

When you say all tasks to be the same you mean output of the task shall be same in all platform? I.e. Image quality and performance wouldn't matter across platforms if same operations are applied on the image?

Thanks Ryan.

When you say all tasks to be the same you mean output of the task shall be same in all platform? I.e. Image quality and performance wouldn't matter across platforms if same operations are applied on the image?
Exactly. For example, if you set an image to be saved to JPEG "high" quality, then that is the same quality level on all platforms. And if anything is GPU accelerated, then it would be necessary to find out if every platform processes it at the same precision (e.g. FP32) or if the mobile platforms process it at a lower precision. This actually happens a lot with 3D rendering (e.g. 3DMark mobile vs. PC), in part because low precision support on the PC simply wasn't a thing until recently.

Exactly. For example, if you set an image to be saved to JPEG "high" quality, then that is the same quality level on all platforms. And if anything is GPU accelerated, then it would be necessary to find out if every platform processes it at the same precision (e.g. FP32) or if the mobile platforms process it at a lower precision. This actually happens a lot with 3D rendering (e.g. 3DMark mobile vs. PC), in part because low precision support on the PC simply wasn't a thing until recently.
Hi Ryan - Just wondering if the photo edits would be more floats or integer based? that can change the performance based on what int (byte, word, DW) is supported?

I am not an image editor author, but I would expect floats. You need the precision so that several filters in order doesn't destroy the image (same reason we use floats in rendering).

Back