Medieval Warfare: runs at 1080p/60fps on PS4, 1080p/30fps on Xbox One

Shortbread

Island Hopper
Legend
http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/chiva...80p_60fps_on_ps4_1080p_30fps_on_xbox_one.html

The game looks "meh" for the most part... but that doesn't really explain why the PS4 has so much of an advantage.

Are developers not optimizing for XB1 memory architecture (ESRAM?)? Or should they have opted for 900p, on getting the framerate at 60fps?

I would have thought XB1 dx11-12 SDK and toolchains would have been so much easier when optimizing and porting PC ports.

Last edited:
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare arrives digitally on Xbox One next Tuesday, December 1, and on PS4 on Wednesday, December 2.

Extra polish time? ;)

another budget PC port?

Which begs the question: Are the advantages of XB1 SDK/toolchain being dx12, hampered by the hardware choice of including ESRAM? Though PS4 architecture is closer to the PC, however it's SDK/toolchain isn't widely adopted as DirectX across PC's. So I guess PS4 hardware choices (vs toolchains) are more beneficial for PC ports!? Or am I missing something?

well, I would guess, the PS4 is 40-60fps (open) and the xbox one 30fps locked. If PS4 is 60fps locked, than they just didn't invest that much time in optimizing for the esram, or they dropped some eye-candy (e.g. Murdered Soul Suspect did that but not really reaching stable 60fps)
That's just my guess.
Maybe xbox would have enough power to get it running at 40-50fps, but they just locked it at 30 because of those irregular frametimes.

A combination of the usual discrepancy+low budget developer+the more arcane hardware.

No different then a 1080P/720P resolution split,. which we've seen at least once in a big budget title this gen (COD Ghosts).

Definitely some small titles have shown some of the biggest discrepancies this gen, due to lack of manpower/skill by the teams. It's very much the same as how PS3 was much harder to tap (but I think XBO is less difficult than PS3)

It's very much the same as how PS3 was much harder to tap (but I think XBO is less difficult than PS3)

Disregarding the PPC -> x86 change isn't the XBO the same type of design as X360? I mean with unified memory, esram as scratchpad etc?

What's the point of this thread? Seems like the same (rhetorical?) question that's asked everytime a multiplat game is released.

Back