AMD Radeon Crimson Driver

Also I noticed that each big jump in driver performance made my OC'ed Kaveri system unstable, thus I need to dial down the setting. For example, when I first bought it, I can set the GPU to 900Mhz and CPU to 4.7GHz. But then came a major revision and for stable OC, it was 800 something MHz for the GPU and 4.5GHz CPU. Now, I don't know about the ceiling of CPU OC (because they remove the CPU overdrive from Crimson driver), but the GPU is at 800MHz. So whatever gain it got from the driver is nullified by the reduced clock speed.
I really need to buy a dGPU...
Anyway, any benchmark on power consumption yet?

So I dunno if its just confirmation bias but WoWS seems to be loading into port/between ships/into battles significantly faster than before (which is very important since it has been loading like a dog & not just me).
Possibly better fps & colour might be a bit more saturated.

AMD should fire their whole goddamn driver team. Apart from the "driver" booting faster, which it better to given how little options it actually has, the whole thing is a complete disaster.

- Settings aren't remembered
- How do I know if overdrive is actually on or not? Got a crash right after moving the dot to the top right corner (max power)
- GUI is a mess
- Fucking fuzzy fonts in 2015? What kind of retard do you have to be to screw up that bad?
- Video options has a demo on/off button but it doesn't do anything
- Didn't get any hang ups in like 2 years. Got two in less than 15 minutes with this

Awesome job AMD.

Anandtech article http://www.anandtech.com/show/9811/amd-crimson-driver-overview
Shader Cache is what I assumed.

How do I know if overdrive is actually on or not? Got a crash right after moving the dot to the top right corner (max power)
for me there is an apply button...

That has been around for years & I've never seen it do anything, I thought it was supposed to do vertical split screen with one side using advanced settings, the other just normal decode.

Edit: so of course I turned it on & its working for me (red vertical split line).

AMD should fire their whole goddamn driver team. Apart from the "driver" booting faster, which it better to given how little options it actually has, the whole thing is a complete disaster.

- Settings aren't remembered
- How do I know if overdrive is actually on or not? Got a crash right after moving the dot to the top right corner (max power)
- GUI is a mess
- Fucking fuzzy fonts in 2015? What kind of retard do you have to be to screw up that bad?
- Didn't get any hang ups in like 2 years. Got two in less than 15 minutes with this

Awesome job AMD.
Moving the dot to the top right corner over clocks your GPU by 94%.

ALL CUSTOM/MANUAL VIDEO CONTROL/QUALITY settings are GONE from 'AMD Radeon Crimson Edition Drivers'!! What is left under custom video control is essentially a joke! Below are the missing options:

1. Basic Video Color
2. Color Vibrance + Slider => Replaced by three fixed levels!
3. Video Gamma + Slider
4. Flesh-tone Correction + Slider
5. Brighter Whites
6. Dynamic Range
7. Deinterlacing Setting
8. Pulldown detection
9. Edge enhancement + Slider => Again replaced by three fixed levels!
10. De-noise + Slider
11. Mosquito Noise Reduction + Slider
12. De-blocking + Slider
13. Dynamic Contrast

What kind of engineers/software developers are companies hiring nowadays?!

ALL CUSTOM/MANUAL VIDEO CONTROL/QUALITY settings are GONE from 'AMD Radeon Crimson Edition Drivers'!! What is left under custom video control is essentially a joke! Below are the missing options:

What kind of engineers/software developers are companies hiring nowadays?!

The ones that do exactly what Management tells them to do.

Too many people blame the wrong people, its hardly ever the engineers/developers fault, and more likely the companies/management fault, who are typically directed by the shareholders.

I for one welcome our new Video Preset Overlords :yep2:

Seriously all those sliders was way way way too many variables & I was too scared to mess with them.
I have however run through the Presets & found the one I like.

I for one welcome our new Video Preset Overlords :yep2:

Seriously all those sliders was way way way too many variables & I was too scared to mess with them.
I have however run through the Presets & found the one I like.
For those with HTPCs that use them, now you can't actually use the drivers. What is the default setting for those? Are they on or off now? Is my card capable of full adaptive pulldown detection or do I want to have my player control de-interlacing? etc.

The ones that do exactly what Management tells them to do.

Too many people blame the wrong people, its hardly ever the engineers/developers fault, and more likely the companies/management fault, who are typically directed by the shareholders.

Shareholders don't push managers to create drivers with fuzzy fonts...

Fuzzy fonts, hacks required to change the language, piss poor translations, advanced settings still hidden under the old ccc layout, generally poorly designed and not that easy to navigate etc shows we are dealing with something that A isn't ready yet and B is fundementally poorly designed.

I've been playing with PC's for nearly 18 years nowand the fursfirst things I thought when opening this was wtf how hard can it be to design something that isnt a total disaster to navigate?

Shareholders don't push managers to create drivers with fuzzy fonts...

Fuzzy fonts, hacks required to change the language, piss poor translations, advanced settings still hidden under the old ccc layout, generally poorly designed and not that easy to navigate etc shows we are dealing with something that A isn't ready yet and B is fundementally poorly designed.

I've been playing with PC's for nearly 18 years nowand the fursfirst things I thought when opening this was wtf how hard can it be to design something that isnt a total disaster to navigate?

Not directly but ultimately in the end they do. They push the company to cut back expenditures which means cutting back resources which means pushing up time lines so projects have even less time for testing if they even having a testing period at all and that means having even less time for development.

I installed the Crimson drivers yesterday, today (just now) they asked me to install a newer version (I did it)... this happen for anyone else?

I installed the Crimson drivers yesterday, today (just now) they asked me to install a newer version (I did it)... this happen for anyone else?
Nope, I got the press driver installed and it doesn't find any updates, I assume it's the same as the one on their site, just released a bit earlier

What of the promised performance increases? Any benches yet to demonstrate?

I built my brother a new cost-optimized ;) gaming rig a few months ago, along with a few purchased parts I also gave him some of my gaming rig parts that were getting upgraded. One such example was the Sapphire 7970 OC card that he now has, which is perfect for the Dell U2007 1680x1050 monitor that I gave him :) I'm wondering if this driver helps him out at all...

What of the promised performance increases? Any benches yet to demonstrate?

I built my brother a new cost-optimized ;) gaming rig a few months ago, along with a few purchased parts I also gave him some of my gaming rig parts that were getting upgraded. One such example was the Sapphire 7970 OC card that he now has, which is perfect for the Dell U2007 1680x1050 monitor that I gave him :) I'm wondering if this driver helps him out at all...
There's tests on several sites, in general just couple FPS's here and there, nothing major

Well, if you're gonna do a thing you better do it properly! :LOL:

Been having crashes on my backup rig when folding while browsing in Chrome. Not sure who, or what, is at fault, as all I get is a black screen and a periodically flashing drive activity light. No proper BSOD. I tried knocking back the overclock on this old i7 920, but it didn't seem to make a diff. Bumped the volts on the RAM to 1.65V (up from 1.6); no diff. Can't blame Crimson driver either specifically, because it did this with the old Cat beta I used before it as well...

*shrug* This thing is old. Maybe it's just supposed to be this way? :p It seems reliable enough if left alone while folding, or when gaming. It survived a run of Firemark too. Got like 6650 points; depressing! Lol, I'd hoped as phat a GPU as this one would do better, but it seems this crusty CPU is holding the score back significantly. In comparison my 4GHz Haswell gets like 9900 on my old 290X, that's a huge difference - and with an older GPU as well!

Not directly but ultimately in the end they do. They push the company to cut back expenditures which means cutting back resources which means pushing up time lines so projects have even less time for testing if they even having a testing period at all and that means having even less time for development.

Of course its impossible that the devs just screwed up... Does it really take 10 programmers to display sharp text?

Back