Star Wars Battlefront [PS4, XO]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11852
  • Start date
Watched a few clips of the Xbone version from Gamersyde and boy could that game get ugly with the 720p fest. Yeah it's pretty smooth but honestly it's like a hair breadth away from sub HD res. There's no way one can appreciate all the art assets and level design with such a dampening res unless you game on a 720p set. Gah damn 900p on PS4 ain't much better either from the beta, might have to force myself to get it on PC at some point.

I'm sure it's OT here but I once mentioned a similar idea on B3D and was told different...several people here claimed 720P looks better on a 1080P native set than it does on a 720P native set. I've been confused about it ever since.

I think he meant if you TV only does 720p anyway? I would have thought a 1080p TV would upscale (or rather the console would) and improve things a little?

So what I meant exactly is a strictly 720p TV that has pixel mapping 1:1 ratio to a 720p game, but I also forgot to mention about the size of the set. Need to clarify a 720p game on a 42" or smaller 720p set should look better than a 720p game upscaled to 1080p on a 46" or greater 1080p set if that makes sense.

Besides some old and exceedingly rare 720p CRT tvs, were there ever any 720p flat panel displays to begin with? It was all 1366 x 768 or something like that if I recall. Since 1:1 pixel mapping was basically out of the question, a 1080p tvs with a decent scaler might very well have lead to better results.

Also, damn Dice. That is one pretty looking game you've made there. I assume most devs would have been ecstatic if they could push these kinds of visuals at half the framerate.

So what I meant exactly is a strictly 720p TV that has pixel mapping 1:1 ratio to a 720p game, but I also forgot to mention about the size of the set.
Slightly O/T but every TV I've ever seen has been setup by default with a slight overscan and had to specifically be set for 1:1 pixel mapping. I'm sure there's a reason for it but the default for manufacturers like Sony, Samsung and Panasonic is not 1:1 out of the box so unless you've set your TV up you're already getting a remapped image and are at the mercy of the scaler.

The game looks good and seems to run great. However, it would be a no brainer if they didn't choose the "no content for the full price release and sell missing content in form of another full price" financial model.

Their fraudulent intent is so obvious, that my "buy everything that looks super shiny in an instant" self is currently outweigh by the "ha ha ha, no chance sir, never" self!

Booo DICE, you used to be on the light side!

The season pass price is definitely insane, and one of the big turnoffs I had in deciding not to buy it. Prices in Canada have gone way up, so the season pass was $70. No fucking way I'm buying a game when all the new content is going to be that expensive.

they get a greater margin with digital copies they sell at the same price as retail copies though.

On PC.
On console Sony & MS get a percentage.

...but this has been discussed already.
I am probably adding noise.

Last edited:
On PC.
On console Sony & MS get a percentage.
Console companies cut is less than retail cut factoring in production and distribution. You're looking at something in the region of 50% disc price going to publisher, but only 70% in download going by the de facto standard 30% margin for digital distribution platform holder (the actual figures for PSN and XBL are I believe unknown, but everyone else, Apple, Steam, Google, take 30%).

I know the numbers.
I am just saying that DLC and season passes exist because $60 isn't enough to make profit nowadays, at least not for AAA games.

A way to rob customers they are not.

It's the economy's fault.
Development/production costs went up, price stayed the same.

How can companies ensure a margin of profit?
DLC & season passes.

Well, as every business in the world, they should freaking update their processes and optimize their production. Welcome to modern age! Every one faces the same problem and needs to improve to be competitive.

Only game devs come to the conclusion that the right strategy is not to improve, but just increase the pricing and offer less!

Economy my ass. If DICE is only able to release 4 maps in the major modes to be economical, they should let go and do something else.

I haven't seen any reports about the PS2 games included in the Star Wars LE PS4. I'm really curious to know if they're emulated, ported, or what.

Its not the "game devs" which make publishing or company policies. Target your anger at the proper place.

Its not the "game devs" which make publishing or company policies. Target your anger at the proper place.

Imo, this is a way to simplistic view of the whole situation: it is getting old that game devs hide behind the big anonymous publisher scapegoat who takes all and doesn't care.

You guys think that all game devs are little monkeys held in a basement deving games while the big publisher guy with his noble mustache laughs evilish while smoking a big cigar.

We heard stories that Bungie was quite involved in the business plan of Destiny.

Also, why did DICE join EA? It was their devision.

Why does Naughty Dog have this weird microtransactions in TLoU? Was it really Sony?

Forza 6 gets microtransactions now, was it really MS?

If something is good, game devs get all the fame. So, they should also be responsible for things that "aren't so optimal".

Aren't game devs nowadays so into "feedback from their players to make a better experience, community, community" and all this mumbo jumbo? Well, this was my community feedback.

Last edited:
The answer is above, game productions costs increase, price stays the same. Something must be done to alleviate these costs. You brought up Naughty Dog, they were just over 100 people at the start of last gen iirc. Now they are over 300 people, who or what will pay for the cost of maintaining that workforce? They sell the game for the same price. That's why DLC packs and microtransactions exist in the first place. If you want to keep playing these AAA blockbuster games you have to accept that DLC + microtransactions is the way to go to sustain the cost of such games. Of course, there are good DLC deals (Witcher 3) and bad DLC deals (Batman Arkham Knight), you as a consumer are free to choose where you want to spend your money on.

With that said, i don't think Battlefront is worth $60, so that's why i am not going to buy it. My value for the game is at $30 and i am not going to buy it before it reaches that point. You have the money as a consumer and have the choice of making your own decisions. You don't have to buy every DLC and every game day 1.

Last edited:
Back