News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
or PS4 became FC (forward compatible). The PS5 or PS4.5 game automatically lowers its quality when ran on PS4.

before PS4/X1 release there was talks about FC right? i think its Microsoft the one talking about it dunno...
How would that work though, things like memory and bandwidth make something like this likely more trouble that it's worth. For example new game on new system can't support more NPCs BC of limits of older hardware.

Forward compatibility is not there to add new features to the game. It is there to make game runs potentially better [for example making Fallout 4 run at 60fps, or if the game is locked at 30, perfect 30 without drops].

This thread is coming up on 3 years. PS4 is coming up on 2 years since release and 3rd Holiday season.

They should be planning the PS5 now, though with the success of the PS4, they may want to milk it for years longer.

tih1G7r.png

Sony bend will be at PSX

Dudes who made Uncharted vita game. Apparently they've been working on some big Ps4 open world horror game the last 4 years.

Also, there were some rumors that they struggled for a long time on finding the proper project to work on. So even though their last game was released long ago, I'm not so sure that the game they showcase at PSX will be anywhere near to finished state.

How original.
I can't think of any decent open world horror games so I'm dubious. The trick with good horror is you need careful pacing (think original Resident Evil games, Alien Isolation and Until Dawn) and the thing about open world is you have no control over pacing because you've you've given the player all this freedom.

I didn't feel Dying Light was particularly horror, sure they were zombies but they really weren't scary - in fact fighting them was fun! Horror should not be fun :nope:

I think open world horror could be done very well. The trick would be to keep the horror aspects rare enough that they have impact, and dangerous enough that they have impact. There have been games that have included great horror frights without being horror games, like Dark Souls and turning a corner to be jumped by some ghastly creature. Morrowind also had frights when you entered a dungeon and encountered something that totally overpowered you, although that wasn't quite horror.

So I can envision a survival game where you have to loot homes for resources, and there can be evil spirits or whatever within. With moody lighting and sounds, the tension could be kept up as needed. There'd have to be rests to prevent fatigue, and you could also interject horror events into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back