News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for anyone that can answer:

I'm aware that for some strange reason the PS4 can't currently read CD's,

but does the PS4's BluRay player have an actual lens (red?) and/or hardware to read CD's?

Question for anyone that can answer:

I'm aware that for some strange reason the PS4 can't currently read CD's,

but does the PS4's BluRay player have an actual lens (red?) and/or hardware to read CD's?
If the PS4 safety guide is correct, it does contain 3 laser wavelength which corresponding to BD, DVD, and CD. So technically it can read CD.
Probably Sony just think it isn't worth it because they need to pay the licensing cost which I assume hasn't been included in any PS4. But since it was being developed by Philips and Sony, it shouldn't cost too much for Sony (if any at all).

Probably they just didn't care because only few people asked for that feature?

He was simply asked if it was technically possible. The correct answer is yes, but that's not gonna happen.

I would expect this to happen, eventually. It makes sense from any point of view; PS3 helped kickstart Blu-Ray in the first place, and PS3 was basically the reason HD-DVD got killed, ending the media war. With PS4 being so successful, it would be logical for Sony to try and repeat the same feat. :)

I don't know what their expectations are for UHD Blu-Ray or for UHD TVs.

But probably most of the TVs sold over $1000 now are UHD TVs, as it was the case for 3D. So sales are accelerating, 494% growth year over year in Q3:

http://hdguru.com/deg-4k-ultra-hdtv-sales-up-494-in-q3/

But I don't know if Kaz looks at the consumer electronics business the same way his predecessors did, whether it's worth using the PS4 or maybe PS5 to help drive UHD adoption.

My sense is that he was looking at Playstation and mobile to help drive growth and profits for the company as a whole. Of course, Sony phones aren't setting the world on fire, in terms of sales.

And Sony does seem to be promoting UHD TVs, though not UHD Blu-Ray yet. Guess we'll see what kind of support Sony Pictures provides for UHD BD releases.

Well he said they wouldn't just change the drive for this theoretical model. He did refer to updated performance didn't he?
Yes he did, from the quoted interview at 4gamer, the exact wording of the SCE SVP Masayasu Ito surely implies it.
Ito: Though with the reservation that I can't speak about any concrete plans at this time, we're considering PS4 performance update at necessary timing since we adopted the x86 architecture. Which means, it's possible. Or rather, we must think about it.

As for PS3, because of the adoption of the Cell architecture that caused difficulties in alternation of generations contrary to the original plan, the only SKU variation was about HDD size. But, with the PS4 that adopted the conventional x86 architecture, it's fairly easy to consider flexible performance update while inheriting past game assets.

For example, it's a conceivable idea that we offer a SKU lineup of a standard PS4 and a high-performance PS4.
Ito: it's true that we ask them to develop PSVR contents to be fully enjoyed on the current PS4. But, combined with a more powerful machine, more amazing experiences will be possible.
So the question about PS 4.5 (PS5 or whatever that comes next) is only a matter of when, not if. The timeframe will depend on the install base of both PSVR and UHD TV/BD.

The speculative part of the article also mentions dual HDMI output for better handling of the separate screen mode of PSVR (which means no redundant H.264 enc/dec between PS4 and the PSVR breakout box) and a H.265 decoder for UHD BD.

Last edited:
I was thinking about this the other day......and while I think it's totally possible and doable from Sony......I actually think it's even more possible from the likes of Microsoft.
Why?
Because I know its gotta be bothering the hell out of Microsoft that the XBOX One keeps getting embarrassed as being inferior with multiplats. I just don't think Microsoft is comfortable with the idea that for the rest of this generation their XBOX, and by extension, Microsoft itself, is to be thought of as inferior.
I wouldn't be surprised if at some point Microsoft tries to leverage Dirext X and brings out another "Extra-Enhanced" XBOX One......something like say.....with a 2.5 - 2.8 teraflop unit.

If it turns out happening, just remember that I, Persistantthug, master of the ram predictor said it first. ;)

If that happens, MS will be the one who will potentially enrage their entire current install base, making users who purchased original Xbone a "second class citizens". I don't think they are willing to gamble this little good will they managed to get back after Mattrick debacle.

If they want to introduce a new console, they should market it as a clear successor, a 9th gen console. If the they want to get it to market a year or two before PS5, so be it, but they need to first make sure that Xbone has had a good lifecycle before it [and that Xbone2 has enough software to fight against PS4 juggernaut that will then have enormous install base].

Is this an exact wording or a bad translation? Ito didn't imply it would ever exist. I think Shu Yoshida's explanation is satisfactory.

But a PS5 being fully BC is very probable though... they'd be stupid not to.

or PS4 became FC (forward compatible). The PS5 or PS4.5 game automatically lowers its quality when ran on PS4.

before PS4/X1 release there was talks about FC right? i think its Microsoft the one talking about it dunno...

Is this an exact wording or a bad translation? Ito didn't imply it would ever exist. I think Shu Yoshida's explanation is satisfactory.
Well I'm Japanese, so...;) Actually I'm a bit surprised he's so candid, but I think only crazy PR person can imagine such an implication slows down current PS4 sales momentum, so I guess it was okay for the PR too. Yoshida-san is the studio head, while Ito-san is the top of the hardware/software development divisions of PlayStation, it's very clear that which is the better source for this kind of topic.

good translation then :LOL:

But that doesn't change the fact that it was a hypothetical tech discussion. The actual decision would be a business one. The possibility is obviously there and they are taking this into consideration, but business-wise it is not a good idea.

I am pessimistic about the jumps to conclusions because the same thing happened a few years ago with Sony's CTO talking about 8K and 300Hz and 3D IC and silicon interposer. None of those thing were anywhere close to being possible for the PS4, but rumors kept going with all of it by quoting Sony's CTO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back