4K Resolution Here Like Mainstream

A 5" 4k screen would be just lovely for Oculus or Moroheus. Or any VR set, really. Even if the content isn't displayed at that res, it would go a long way in reducing screen door effect.
Yep, and Samsung are 3 years or so from 11k phone screens. It only has any use when you couple it with GearVR etc

A 5" 4k screen would be just lovely for Oculus or Moroheus. Or any VR set, really. Even if the content isn't displayed at that res, it would go a long way in reducing screen door effect.
Should be great for motion stability as well.
Especially if one would use the MSAA trick (2) etc to get 'full' resolution. (8xMSAA to get 4k with 2xMSAA, post AA or EQAA for better gradients and gaussian resolve for slightly blurrier, but more stable image.)

Just had my 60" Mitsubishi DLP start to die on me. It had a progressing permanent white dot issue similar to the image here.

I am not ready to buy a replacement yet as I ultimately want a 4k 65" with HDR. So, I ended up buying the 4K Hisense H750GB1 from Walmart for ~$550 as a stop-gap. Going from a 60" DLP to a 50" LCD is...disappointing.

This TV doesn't have many of the features that manufacturers have developed to mitigate the issues that LCDs have and the features it does have are either inadequate or broken. The one advantage it does have I can't get to work properly as 4k output (not even 4k30 per the HDMI 1.4 spec) from my PC when connected through my receiver doesn't work (seems the graphics card is not getting the EDID data from the receiver to indicate that the display connected to it is 4K native), though this does work when the PC is connected directly to the TV. My 1080p desktop scaled by the display to 4K looks TERRIBLE, especially text. I ordered an active DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 adapter that several Amazon reviews claim will allow 4k60 output and am going to try to send audio to the receiver over one HDMI cable and video to the TV through another. At worst I should at least be able to manage 4k30 this way.

At some point I'll upgrade my receiver to one capable of handling HDMI 2.0 and I'll get a new graphics card with HDMI 2.0 output and I'm hoping the value of the 4k capabilities increases over time, but as of right now, given a choice between a cheap 4K TV or a good 1080p TV I'd recommend a getting good 1080p one.

Last edited:
I might be a Panasonic fanboy - and proud! - but for me the only option, in a few years of course, will be a nice 4K HDR OLED screen from them. They'll start selling them before Christmas so here comes the waiting for the natural price adjustments that will happen as production and sales ramp up in the future.

I might be a Panasonic fanboy - and proud! - but for me the only option, in a few years of course, will be a nice 4K HDR OLED screen from them. They'll start selling them before Christmas so here comes the waiting for the natural price adjustments that will happen as production and sales ramp up in the future.

I can understand the sentiment. My 42" Panasonic Plasma is still working well. I try to evaluate each product individually on it's own merits, though. If LG is making the best OLED or is providing the best value, I'd have no problem "settling" for one of theirs.

Should be great for motion stability as well.
Especially if one would use the MSAA trick (2) etc to get 'full' resolution. (8xMSAA to get 4k with 2xMSAA, post AA or EQAA for better gradients and gaussian resolve for slightly blurrier, but more stable image.)

First sentence : "Historically, the sub-pixel location of MSAA sample points was totally out of your control as a programmer."

oh damn. This was one of the main features of 3DFX Rampage.

Back