Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can also use "powercfg -waketimers" to see if there is anything pending. It seems I'm in the clear too, no more wakeups. So stupid the global setting does nothing.

So I have a new problem: Windows has decided to hide most of my old files.
Some stuff is still there but a lot of other stuff is MIA in Windows Explorer just showing empty Folders even though clearly the HDDs have space used so the files must still be there.

I see on statcounter win 10 is already up to 5.38% marketshare, win 7 is still leading at 53.01% but I think by jan 2017 it will of overtaken it

edit: desktop marketshare is down to 55.17% :no:. Unbelievable, if the trend holds next year we can actually see more ppl browsing with their phones than their PC's, mind blowing, no way I would of picked that 5 years ago.

I had this really weird printing issue. I was trying to print out a travel itinerary that was 6 pages from United Airlines, but it would not print.
Then I tried printing one page at a time, this worked for all pages except the second, it would tell me "it could not be printed".
Next I saved it as a PDF and tried again in EDGE, same issue. Loaded it in chrome and it printed with no problem. What the hell is going on here?

I notice others in the thread are having sleep issues. To solve mine I had to untick the ability to be woken over the network from my Ethernet controller in Device Manager. Now the PC sleeps when I expect it to.

I work with lots of sound files (that I create) the problem is when I look at them in windows explorer it shows them as album, artist etc. I just want to 'optimize this folder (and all subfolders) for, general items' for all time. I want this applied to the whole harddisk for all time, even commercial music I do not want to see the album etc info, if I want that I will look in a proper music program.
Can I change this in the registry or elsewhere so 'General Items' is the only one thats used?
Ta

windows updated my AMD drivers despite having the hardware option disabled in the options. It re-enabled the ULPS on its own and triggered all kinds of havoc on my crossfire setup.

Not good. At this point in time I'm a slave to their regime.

Right click your folder -> Properties -> Customize tab -> Change setting from "Music" to General folder. Tick the option to also apply to all subfolders.

Edit: Oh, the whole drive. Sorry, read that way too fast. There are some info around. Google "Automatic Folder Type Discovery", for instance this guide. Messing with that may cause some side effects, though. I haven't tried it on Win 10 either.

Last edited:
Do it with each folder in the root of the drive, shouldn't be too bothersome. Might work by right-clicking the drive itself too.

Upgrading from Win 7 to 10 seems to have nuked *all* bootloaders, on all HDDs. :(

Having to boot a rescue disk, chroot and install GRUB again on my Ubuntus.

Cheers

Thanks zaphod I'll look into that tomorrow, I'm on the phone ATM. Also and applies to gralls answer yes I know this, the problem is my programmes always generate new folders which the audio files reside in, thus I have to repeat this every single time. I just want to set it once and have it stay like that.

@Gubbi, from past experience that's always been windows method since win 3, it will not let you boot into other non windows os's on your drives

@Gubbi, from past experience that's always been windows method since win 3, it will not let you boot into other non windows os's on your drives

I have four drives in my computer, one SSD for windows, two HDDs for two different versions of Ubuntu and a big 3TB drive for mounting in either Linux. I've used the Bios boot menu to select which bootloader to load (by selecting boot drive)

Previous Windows installed its own bootloader in the MBR on the default boot drive (in my case, the SSD). But this time it also nuked the bootloaders on the two HDDs with my 12.04 and 14.04 Ubuntu dists on :-/ - That's new

Cheers

the problem is my programmes always generate new folders which the audio files reside in, thus I have to repeat this every single time. I just want to set it once and have it stay like that.
Oh, if that's the case then you're probably screwed, unless the "all sub-folders" option automatically applies to newly created folders as well (knowing MS; probably not...)

Of course, you could also use another file manager than windows explorer. That'd fix things for you. :)

@zed

At first I thought folder view template may be managed by the hidden, system file "desktop.ini" that can be deployed to folders to manage thow they are handled by the OS and presented by Explorer. I've used this in the past to (unscrupulously) block a forced EFS encryption group policy mandate, as there is a desktop.ini argument to block encryption for a folder on a per-folder basis. A simple batch script, and tada, no more EFS on several of my document folders where it kept breaking things.

Turns out I was wrong, but in my research on how to manage it, I found your answer :)

MSKB 812003
Use the same view settings for all folders
You can apply the same view settings to all the folders on your computer. You cannot apply the same view settings to all the folder icons, pictures, toolbar settings, or folder tasks. To apply the same view settings to all folders, follow these steps:
  1. Locate and open the folder that has the view setting that you want to use for all folders.
  2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
  3. On the View tab, click Apply to All Folders.
  4. Click Yes, and then click OK.
Note To reset all the folders to the default view settings, repeat these steps, but click Reset All Folders in step 3.

No guarantees if it still works in 10, but it works in 7 (confirmed on one of my play VMs.) Hopefully this helps :)

@Albuquerque hmmmm thanks, Im working on a song ATM called 'maybe Im just dumb' which is aptly how I feel now, since I've done this method plenty in the past, well thanks again

http://pxc-coding.com/portfolio/donotspy10/
Has another way to disable driver updates.
IME, that utility only blocks the installation of said updates; Windows still downloads them and tries to install them, and then puts up a whiny prompt complaining about when it can't on top of whatever else you happen to be doing at the time - which forcibly opens a scheduler app when escaped away I might add, which also has to be closed.

Very annoying.

Maybe this behavior is limited to home edition though, since it has forced installation of updates. Never thought I'd say this, but fuck that fucking microsoft for their forced updates. I thought it would be a good thing, but it isn't. It REALLY isn't...

LoL @zed; I promise that I do not think you're dumb! I actually could not remember how to make it work either, which is why I was already off the nerd deep-end on trying to manage it through desktop.ini :) And again, it may not even work the same way in Win10, but thought I'd offer it to be helpful.

@Grall, was it truly the Win10 update service that performed the AMD driver upgrade? I only ask because I've noticed my Lenovo laptop has actually updated the AMD drivers several times now, but it's been specific to the new-to-me Windows 10-specific AMD CCC updater utility rather than the native WSUS functionality in the OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back