Mad Max [PS4, XBO]

Good question. Combat like for instance Devil May Cry, God of War, Ninja Gaiden or Souls games would be refreshing in such a game!

The batman combat is to automated for me. People don't like qte's in games...but the batman combat (also e.g. shadows of mordor) is like a permanent big qte for me where you fight every 3min the same bunch of foes the same way.

Obviously exaggeration on my side...but somehow it feels like this to me personally and it bores me after a short time of game....that is why my excitment for Mad Max decreased.

I love hack&slash but they are pure fantasy.
FreeFlow is "closer" to martial arts in the real world, it's more grounded, even if it's still fiction, so it works best when developers don't want to go full fantasy.
Now if yoy disable the counter icons in FreeFlow you will have to read animations to counter just as in any other hach&slah albeit with far more generous timing than in h&s, so I never got the feeling I was constantly under QTE.

I do agree that in therms of enemy variety Arkham Asylum or City are quite limited conpared to hack & slash but Monolith and WB Montreal have expanded/added some interesting new enemies in Origin or Shadow of Mordor IMO.
Immunities in Shadow of Mordor add a lot to the FreeFlow formula as well.

Bloodborne combat system is IMO ridiculously limited compared to FreeFlow that objectively offers a ample set of moves/options.
DMC, Ninja Gaiden, God of War, MGR are more complete and complex compared to Bloodborne as well

Last edited:
I love hack&slash but they are pure fantasy.
FreeFlow is "closer" to martial arts in the real world, it's more grounded, even if it's still fiction, so it works best when developers don't want to go full fantasy.
Now if yoy disable the counter icons in FreeFlow you will have to read animations to counter just as in any other hach&slah albeit with far more generous timing than in h&s, so I never got the feeling I was constantly under QTE.

I do agree that in therms of enemy variety Arkham Asylum or City are quite limited conpared to hack & slash but Monolith and WB Montreal have expanded/added some interesting new enemies in Origin or Shadow of Mordor IMO.
Immunities in Shadow of Mordor add a lot to the FreeFlow formula as well.

Bloodborne combat system is IMO ridiculously limited compared to FreeFlow that objectively offers a ample set of moves/options.
DMC, Ninja Gaiden, God of War, MGR are more complete and complex compared to Bloodborne as well

It really looks much better when watching. But I still like the hack and slash gameplay better when I actually play.

I agree with your Bloodborne comparison and that Shadows of Mordor is improved. But after 2 hours it still was boring to me.

I still think it would be 'refreshing' if such a game would have a more complex sophisticated combat.

But it seems that I am the absolute minority as these games sold a ton of copies despite their combat...

I am still interested in Mad Max as it is such a cool world!

I agree with your Bloodborne comparison and that Shadows of Mordor is improved. But after 2 hours it still was boring to me.
In the first few hours of Shadow of Mordor you only have access to the basic subset of moves.

It really looks much better when watching. But I still like the hack and slash gameplay better when I actually play.

I still think it would be 'refreshing' if such a game would have a more complex sophisticated combat.

But it seems that I am the absolute minority as these games sold a ton of copies despite their combat...

I am still interested in Mad Max as it is such a cool world!

I am afraid that you will need to make an example of what you consider to be a sophisticated combat system.
Hokuto no Ken games are the closest thing to "Mad Max meets hack&slash combat" I can think of but I have not played them.

Last edited:
Good question. Combat like for instance Devil May Cry, God of War, Ninja Gaiden or Souls games would be refreshing in such a game!

The batman combat is to automated for me. People don't like qte's in games...but the batman combat (also e.g. shadows of mordor) is like a permanent big qte for me where you fight every 3min the same bunch of foes the same way.

Obviously exaggeration on my side...but somehow it feels like this to me personally and it bores me after a short time of game....that is why my excitment for Mad Max decreased.
same here, I get bored of the Arkham combat very soon. Slow clunky and repetitive. I am very dissappointed that this game has the same stuff :-/ !

I like how this looks. Seriously though, they couldn't have come up with a more generic looking Max character if they tried. He's the most video gamey looking brown-haried white dude I've seen in years. Can we get a Mel Gibson or Tom Hardy skin, please?

Not without paying likeness fees. I'd prefer they spend money developing the game itself.

IGN reported that the map is infinite in size so you can keep driving and never hit the world's end. I'm still interested in this game, which doesn't release in the UK until Friday, but the lack of review isn't instilling me with a lot of confidence.

Just Cause 3, also from Avalanche Studios, launches on 1 December 2015.

IGN reported that the map is infinite in size so you can keep driving and never hit the world's end. I'm still interested in this game, which doesn't release in the UK until Friday, but the lack of review isn't instilling me with a lot of confidence.

Just Cause 3, also from Avalanche Studios, launches on 1 December 2015.
The old Tekken games had that :yep2:

DO NOT EVER PRE PURCHASE.
DO NOT EVER BUY BEFORE YOU TRY. (At least read a few reviews.)

DO NOT EVER PRE PURCHASE.
In the UK there generally no such thing as pre-purchase only pre-ordering with no charge made until the game's dispatch (in the case of a physical item) or release (in the case of a digital purchase). On occasion pre-order bonuses can be compelling in their own right, such as granting beta access

So there's really no downside to pre-ordering in the UK (probably the whole EU). I pre-ordered Destiny, played the hell out of the Alpha, but cancelled the pre-order of the game as I found out Destiny wasn't my thing. If I hadn't pre-ordered buying Destiny would have been an expensive mistake.

In the UK there generally no such thing as pre-purchase only pre-ordering with no charge made until the game's dispatch (in the case of a physical item) or release (in the case of a digital purchase). On occasion pre-order bonuses can be compelling in their own right, such as granting beta access

So there's really no downside to pre-ordering in the UK (probably the whole EU). I pre-ordered Destiny, played the hell out of the Alpha, but cancelled the pre-order of the game as I found out Destiny wasn't my thing. If I hadn't pre-ordered buying Destiny would have been an expensive mistake.
GROOD :)

Game looks bland in all ways to me. Another game I do not understand the appeal for. Hope it gets reviewed well, but it isn't enticing to me at all.

It looks like the movies (except Mad Max 1 but I doubt many people have watched it).

Back